Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hate it, But Feel I Have to watch.

Ignoring the Problem is as bad or worse then Watching.
I feel I Need to Know how to respond if Questioned on their actions.
Especially if compared to them by a land owner, or official.

Plus If I don't watch I Can't react in a knowledgeable way here either

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
What didn't you like about it? They ask permission and filled their holes. That is a good presentation of our "hobby". Frank

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's crap. Their use of large shovels, heavy equipment, and even explosives to make the show more 'hollywood' in it's visual effects will leave an impression on those who are uneducated about our hobby that the behavior shown on that show is what we are all about. It will no doubt bring a flurry of new people who think they are going to get rich quick into the hobby, increasing the destruction factor (uncovered holes, trespassing, etc.) which in turn will increase complaints and a general negative attitude towards us. The show is garbage and I hope it is cancelled soon.

GreenMeanie

Jun 3, 2006
TreasureTerrain.com
Detector(s) used
NOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He is an EX Wrestler over acting big time.
Hate it but like another user said I will watch it so if questioned or asked about it.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Out of the 3 new metal detecting shows I like "Diggers" the most. On American Digger the values they put on the stuff they find seem a bit ridiculous to me. I don't care for the "constipated face" Ric Savage always seems to have either.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I watched the whole show on the AK hunt. They only used army folding shovels. I think we are confusing different shows. There is American diggers on Spike & Diggers on National Geographic, there is even a Diggers Mag!!! Lets be more specific. Frank

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I watched amercain diggers did not care for it the first time.... And posted that some were..... But watched it again today..... I tape every thing and watch when i get time... And i enjoyed it and will watch it again.. you talk about every thing being over priced....... Every show.... auction shows ....they all are over priced from what they say the price is of there prize....... To what they get for it i would bet the price they get would be a lot less............As you see i am choping the price...... AG00347_.gif

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched the whole show on the AK hunt. They only used army folding shovels. I think we are confusing different shows. There is American diggers on Spike & Diggers on National Geographic, there is even a Diggers Mag!!! Lets be more specific. Frank

Frank, the shovels, heavy equipment, and explosives I referred to was mostly what can be seen in the show's introduction and commercial breaks.... segments from other shows already taped but no doubt soon to be aired. Like any show, some will like it and some will hate it. Personally, I hate it. I think things like that send the wrong message to people who may be skeptical of our hobby already. If you like it, that is fine too.... after all, this is America and we are all entitled to our own opinion.

Bartman

Apr 9, 2008
Baltimore/Cambridge, MD
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2, ACE 250
I'm not much on either show, but will continue to DVR both. Most people don't realize how much TV is scripted these days, so they will actually think this is what dectorist are like.

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i think this new trend of TV shows on the detecting hobby could be the death of detecting. we already have too much opposition against the hobby. shows like this will only fuel the fire. it encourages people who know nothing about the law and following the rules to go out, buy a detector and start digging wherever they want without first learning how to go about it properly. it will also bring the hobby to the attention of the law makers who already dont understand us, and veiw us as a threat. i think we can expect more laws restricting the hobby as a result of this. i really hope this show is off the air soon, because if it is not, i have a feeling we wont be allowed to enjoy this hobby much longer.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I too thought the show did not even come close to how metal detecting really is for myself and a couple of my hunting buddies. Really, who hunts in the snow in Alaska and sets up fire barrels to melt the ground? I also question their finds ie: the bear trap, give me a break! how about the pick? I have dug many in the hills here where I live and they were actual picks, it looked to me like what they called a pick was a mattuck (I hope I spelled that right).Naturally every thing was over valued by $5950.00. I don't think the show helps our hobby at all, hopefully the general population does not watch it. Just my humble opinion............Scott

tnut1

Tenderfoot
Jan 1, 2011
It was ok but they put too much emphasis on making money, sure you can make money but that's not what it's all about. I suppose we have to remember he's running a business and to him it's a job (except for the overacting). What we do, we do for the thrill of the hunt and love of the hobby. I'll keep watching for now but things better get better soon because right now it's a mis-representation of a harmless activity.

Tonytone1437

Nov 14, 2010
Delaware/Chadds Ford Pa
Detector(s) used
Explorer ii, Fisher F70, XLT Spectrum, DFX300, Sovereign GT, Sovereign XS2a Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If people actually believe they are going to make money doing this, they had better re-think it. It ain't gonna happen.

I dont know about you. But ive paid for my Detector Over and Over again with my Finds. I make Alot of money detecting, i mean im not gonna make a living doing it but i usually find about $50 to $300 a Month in Gold/Silver, not saying it happens every month but i do Find alot. AND im SURE there are alot of other people on here that make alot of money as well. Cause i can name a few people that have alot better finds then me.

Last edited:

G.A.P.metal

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
"Kan-a-we-o-la" Head on a Pole N.Y. Seneca Territo
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, 11" Low Freq. , 9" X35 Coils, MI 6 Pointer...
Land or Sea Pointer
King Of Spades 40" KS-D SA and 40" KS-S-SA
L
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i watched it and was embarrested for all of us.... burn baby burn and the explosives BS horse hocky but i will still watch i never blew anything up

Albertaclipper

Feb 27, 2012
Central Alberta, Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im with the majority here and what Badger said. The first thing that made me cringe is the opening of the show and how they make shoveling look so damn dramatic like scenes from the movie 300...then Rick talks like he is still promoting his character from wrestling and the sad thing for all us hobby hunters is that he is totally making us out to be very evasive as he is fricking using fired barrells to melt the fost and snow to get down to some scrap.

One last point, any of you people have connections to antique stores? Check out the prices on the saw, the pan, and the other items he found, like somebody above said, the show is scripted and the prices are set (fixed), the same saw with the wooden handles up here is only worth $250.....come on! some of us were born at night, but not last night!

jharhed

Jan 5, 2008
Marrero LA
Detector(s) used
DFX, MX5, M6, Garrett Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was embarrassed also,I don't think the show helps the hobby at all and didn't like it. Imagine a property owner watching the show and getting turned off by it, would we get a shot to hunt their property? maybe mabye not. Possibly if they are desparately in need of money if there are high value items in the dirt maybe they would let someone hunt, too many maybies.

CrazySlasher

Jul 6, 2010
SS of MA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Minelab E-Trac w/Sunray probe and 15' WoTcoil.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If people actually believe they are going to make money doing this, they had better re-think it. It ain't gonna happen.

I dont know about you. But ive paid for my Detector Over and Over again with my Finds. I make Alot of money detecting, i mean im not gonna make a living doing it but i usually find about $50 to $300 a Month in Gold/Silver, not saying it happens every month but i do Find alot. AND im SURE there are alot of other people on here that make alot of money as well. Cause i can name a few people that have alot better finds then me.

tumblr_llpy4sZtuE1qkz08go1_400.gif

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

Your right there there was a lot of over acting .....like you said ..burn baby burn... and a few other things they screamed...... that made the show look bad..... I will watch again and hope they do not over act...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions