Searching ROADSIDE

Silverhawk

Oct 6, 2006
Seattle, WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett THD Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just curious if there was a general rule or law about detecting the sides of the a road/highway. At what point does the curb meet the private property? I know that the back of my house ends at a road and we have a fence. The property ends 8 feet from the curb. We found this out because we wanted to put a rear driveway for the worktruck, but were not allowed by the town. Lots of good areas nearby that date back to the 1700's. Many parking lots and plazas line the roads, but have found wooded areas along the roadways that hit the rear of households or stores. What areas are generally not off limits? Don't want to be nabbed for trespassing or vandalism when i'm 8 feet from a main road. If there is a fence line about 10 feet off the road, can you generally search the area between the fence and roadway? any opinions appreciated. Thanks

Postalrevnant

Silver Member
Jul 5, 2006
Mountains
Great post I look forward to the answers as well. Always wondered what the laws were. Unfortunately I would suspect that most of those types of laws would probably be up to local or state. All depending on who maintained the roadsides in question.

Postalrevnant

OP
OP
Silverhawk

Silverhawk

Oct 6, 2006
Seattle, WA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett THD Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
my son's babysitter is about a block away from a local DEC officer. I'm going to stop by one day and just pop him the question. Maybe he'll have some more info on that. I'll post once i hear something. until then, if anyone else knows something, it will probably help everyone.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread