greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Went to a state park after being insulted by GPAA at the gold show in Salem, Or.
(GPAA ignored me for 20 min. so I didn't spend the money so am glad).
Son and I started hunting overflow parking area at Barton Park.
As we got into the park I made sure I had my parking pass and it was on the dashboard.
There was a fellow mowing lawn that we passed and then , around corner was the overflow area in the grass.
We started hunting, I dug a hit and got a linc, closed the plug and made sure it wasn't visible as always.
Then saw lawnmowerman coming at me from 50 yds. away. Kept moving and as he approached me took off headphones.
He said we can detect here as much as we want but could not "break the ground".
(He could not find my last dig).
So we went down river to where rafters get out at Carver Bridge. Might be something there we thought.
Took a walk to the water and saw the beach area was flooded as it is early and water high.
Walked back to the parking area and there was the same guy !
Now I have nightmares that he was stalking us.
Never before heard you couldn't "Break Ground" in a state park.
Grey

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Should have asked about Breaking Wind LOL

Here you need to dig (Scratch) with a Screw driver or
other Narrow Prong Device.
Personally things would be easier to fix
after digging a 3 sided plug in my opinion

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I'd venture to say that verbage about digging, disturbing, alterations, etc.... are present at every park, everywhere. Not just state parks, but also fed, county, city, etc.... You know: rules that predate detecting to forbid people from harvesting the trees, flowers, sod, etc... for their own personal use in their own home gardens. Or just in general "vandalism" clauses present in any city, anywhere. The issue is one of semantics: If you restore the spot to the point where no one can tell you were even there, then *technically*, you haven't "altered, cut, vandalized, or dug", in my opinion. Yes there's the temporary evil, but ........... then .... a little use of discretion is involved in your timing.

For example, if you walked into the park's dept. in any city, or county, or state, and asked "hi, can I please vandalize and alter and dig in the park?" what do you think they would say? Of course they would say no. EVEN in parks where, truth be told, detecting (and yes, even retrieving objects so long as you leave no trace) has never been a problem.

Therefore my advice is, next time you enter a park, and see the maintenance people on shift there that day (as you say you saw upon entering the park), pick another park, for that day. Grass only gets mowed 1x p/week. So if you see that your particular park is underdoing work, then be a little more discreet. I mean, same goes for if you see an archaeologist's convention going on there ........ probably a day to pick another park.

Last edited:
OP
OP
greydigger

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Tom - thats what I thought also.
Have been in parks where the groundskeepers were interested and gave us advise.
No problem as we always return plug and fix the ground.
Maybe that guy had seen a local club that we once went on a hunt with.
They devastated a soccer field as we were there and never filled in holes.
Some folks ruin it for the majority.
Grey

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd venture to say that verbage about digging, disturbing, alterations, etc.... are present at every park, everywhere. Not just state parks, but also fed, county, city, etc.... You know: rules that predate detecting to forbid people from harvesting the trees, flowers, sod, etc... for their own personal use in their own home gardens. Or just in general "vandalism" clauses present in any city, anywhere. The issue is one of semantics: If you restore the spot to the point where no one can tell you were even there, then *technically*, you haven't "altered, cut, vandalized, or dug", in my opinion. Yes there's the temporary evil, but ........... then .... a little use of discretion is involved in your timing.

For example, if you walked into the park's dept. in any city, or county, or state, and asked "hi, can I please vandalize and alter and dig in the park?" what do you think they would say? Of course they would say no. EVEN in parks where, truth be told, detecting (and yes, even retrieving objects so long as you leave no trace) has never been a problem.

Therefore my advice is, next time you enter a park, and see the maintenance people on shift there that day (as you say you saw upon entering the park), pick another park, for that day. Grass only gets mowed 1x p/week. So if you see that your particular park is underdoing work, then be a little more discreet. I mean, same goes for if you see an archaeologist's convention going on there ........ probably a day to pick another park.

Tom ;

as long as there are no rules against detecting,
and the park is for "Public recreation",
When I enter a Park and see Maintenance,
I Nod & Wave a one salute open hand Hi !, and go about my Business
of "Recreating" myself.

recreate - engage in recreational activities rather than work;
occupy oneself in a diversion.

Usually when I'm approached it's to find out if I actually find things.
If you don't ask, and don't show fear,
most Maintenance will figure, you have been there before
and know you can use the park.

If asked if I Have permission "Yep :) " by Who ? :dontknow: ?
Everyone I Ever asked, everyone's been awesome :love5:
the people around here are really Nice !

If they mention someone doing damage

>:( Figures ! >:( If I see any damage while here I'll fix it,
& Keep my eye out. see if I Can find out who :icon_thumright:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread