Fisher F1266X get or no?

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found a local guy selling a Fisher 1266X with the headphones and the 'depthmaster' (I think he called it). He wants $200 for it. His son owns a pawn shop and I M sure that's where he got it from. he said it works great and had it out a few times. Will let me test locally before buying.

Good deal or not? Perks vs. peaves of this detector? I know it's not my ETrac or AT Pro , but something different to add to my collection?

any input is appreciated for those who know this detector. I know it has been out a while....

thanks!

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 1266X was a great detector with the dual discrimination! Had many great finds with it. Would have tried to beat him down a little on the price considering the 1266X is no longer in production. Not even sure if Fisher repairs those units anymore, at least that is what I heard. Anyway, you do have a very good detector there! Good luck and HHing!

One more thing. Try to beat him down to $150.00 or $175.00. I believe they were about $500.00 originally.

Last edited:

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was a classic of its time and will give many of the modern detectors a run for their money. Drawbacks are that I also don't think the "new" Fisher company will repair them but its worth dropping them an e-mail to find out once and for all. There may well be a third party repairer anyway.

Main drawback for some was that they were a noisy machine in use but it didn't mean you couldn't tell good from bad. The extra depth over the 1260 and 1265 models did mean you would detect items below the easy discrimination level of those detectors. I remember in the Tesoro magazine of the time them saying there was little point having a dual discrimination system as it could be done just as well with one but not that many years later and Tesoro copied it for their Tejon model.

I would also try to get the price down a little but the headphones which might have the built in Depthmaster system, or at least have the seperate unit have some value so if it all works well and you like it I wouldn't push to much.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread