Following the footsteps of billy bowlegs.

Jake

Mar 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have literally done close to 3 months of hardcore research regarding billy bowlegs. I have traveled all around the northwest coast looking for pirate loot and have come up empty every time but I believe I was very close to finding something. If somebody can please help me out with more info or would like to join in on the hunt. I will be forever grateful. Also just a piece of info I found was that bowlegs buried a treasure by the mouth a river north of ft Walton beach. Can I get some people to comment that as well as the general question(topic about billy bowlegs). Please and thanks. God bless you all.

Bunny7

Apr 27, 2022
I have literally done close to 3 months of hardcore research regarding billy bowlegs. I have traveled all around the northwest coast looking for pirate loot and have come up empty every time but I believe I was very close to finding something. If somebody can please help me out with more info or would like to join in on the hunt. I will be forever grateful. Also just a piece of info I found was that bowlegs buried a treasure by the mouth a river north of ft Walton beach. Can I get some people to comment that as well as the general question(topic about billy bowlegs). Please and thanks. God bless you all.
Boger Rogers' (Billy Bowlegs ft walton bch fl) family denies that he was actually a pirate. However, in the mid-to-late '50s, my family treasure hunted all over northwest Florida including searching for Bowleg's treasures. I actually stood by his grave (which was violated many times before the family moved him to a private cemetery) and saw the bowed leg bone lying on the ground. Legend had it that he had left precise directions where he should be buried, including compass points for head and foot. Sometime after he was buried, close family (or friends) began to think about his directions, went to the area and discovered gold in a hollow tree not far from his head.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I heard of Billy Bowlegs here in Florida. He was a Seminole chief. I belive he fought in the 2nd & 3rd Seminole wars and finally agreed to go to Oklahoma. Many Seminoles just fled into the glades and are there to this day. I didn't know there was a pirate here with the same name, interesting.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Being. An old Florida boy, I had to look this character up. Turns out he was William Augustus Bowles. Not to be confused with the famous Seminole Indian Chief, they borrowed his name, that's all.

Skipster

Oct 31, 2023
Wondering where the name Bowlegs Cut originated
The channel(part of the intracoastak waterway) is located near Lignum Vitae key which is rumored to have had spanish and a pirate history
Would love to hear more on this

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions