"Apache" Jim Wilson

stacysch34

Mar 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My name is Stacy and Apache Jim Wilson was my grandfather. Unfortunately, he left my father in the care of his mother, not to be seen again. I have no information about him other than his name and that he was a known treasure hunter, oh and that he is dead. If anyone out there knows anything about him, I would be grateful.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Stacy: There is a picture of Mr and Mrs Jim Wilson (Apache Jim) on page 55 in the softcover book "Sudden Wealth" by Deek Gladson, a pen name
Karl von Mueller. Under the photo which has the duo holding detectors is this description: "Apache Jim, who headquarters in Colorado, is one of
today's most famous modern-day treasure hunters. He firmly believes in the old adage "Finders-keepers"! The book was copyrighted in 1977.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hello Stacy and Welcome to Treasure Net !!
"In a book titled, Apache Jim , by Apache Jim, published by Carson Interprises in 1973 you'll find stories with maps about projects he researched, but never found. His reasoning was that it's stupid to write about your successes, but writing about your failures are OK. He felt that there's enough " out there " to keep all of us busy and he wasn't ashamed to admit he'd ran out of ideas on these treasures. The man's full name was Apache Jim Wilson and his writing style is interesting, "adult", and humerous."
Don.......

Source: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/recommended-reading/45460-k-von-m.html

Joe(TX)

Aug 21, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Old School
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
....APACHE JIM...

Stacy: There is a picture of Mr and Mrs Jim Wilson (Apache Jim) on page 55 in the softcover book "Sudden Wealth" by Deek Gladson, a pen name
Karl von Mueller. Under the photo which has the duo holding detectors is this description: "Apache Jim, who headquarters in Colorado, is one of
today's most famous modern-day treasure hunters. He firmly believes in the old adage "Finders-keepers"! The book was copyrighted in 1977.
...APACHE JIM......is mentioned in the older books of Garrett and in some of the KVM books....he was mentioned as a very successfull professional treasure hunter.....Joe

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
H. Glenn Carson. may have known
Jim Wilson for many years and even published a book by / about him:

Apache Jim -- Stories from His Private Files of Unfound Treasures
By James Gilbert Wilson

I Will PM you with more (private) Info

truckinbutch

Silver Member
Feb 15, 2008
Morgantown,WV
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Landstar
Simply great that a newbie would get so much helpful response . The great folks here will probably keep me here even when I'm not happy with the format change .
My thanks to those who were willing to help .
Jim

mmcooper

Sep 10, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old thread so you may not be here Stacy ...

I was canoeing some years ago in OK and met your grandfather on the bank. At first he thought I was going to shoot him :) He told me a great story about a client that wanted her share to go to charity.

Short version: Elderly lady regrets sins of youth, writes Jim ... First husband was silver mine foreman, stealing and stashing. He gets shot dead gambling, she flees. Apache Jim shows up years later with ladies directions. Helps my father who was stuck there without water (Rusty Ronald Rhodes), gets the loot, all happy :)

Some may say he was a BSer, but telling a good yarn is pretty cool in itself and he could deliver it! Its one of my favorite family stories!!!

JamesFariello

May 25, 2008
Brighton, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Whites 808, Eagle Spectrum, Cibola & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not heard that name in years. H. Glenn Carson and Hunter V. Pritchard had Eight States Associates in Boulder Colorado in the 70's. I met Apache Jim there. Hunter told me that Jim went treasure hunting with him in the Colorado Springs area and they came on an old building in the middle of no place and it was full of antiques and things. They had been passing through this ranchers land. They left and had just looked into the windows at the beautiful things. Hunter showed me a picture of Apache Jim sitting in a chair and surrounded by the things that had been in that cabin/building. From that time on Hunter never had anything to do with Jim. I never saw Jim again. I had his book years ago and might still have it in my library. Sorry for the bad news but Hunter said Jim went back after they left and the rest is speculation I guess.

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
There is a copy of the Carson book on Amazon.

Attachments

• apache.jpg
    apache.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 259

Bobkelly

Greenie
Sep 28, 2015
Rathdrum Idaho
Detector(s) used
SSP-2100 Pulse Induction Metal Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Stacey I was curious to know if you have ever heard of your grandfather being associated with a man named Doc Noss in the Caballo mountains? I had a friend who told me that a man named Apache Jim Wilson had showed him where he had melted down some Aztec gold jewelry that Doc had given him to smelt. He also said that Apache Jim Wilson showed him a cave that he and Doc Noss was digging in the floor of and when they went into the cave my friend had found an old pocket knife and Apache Jim Wilson told my friend that it was Doc Noss' pocket knife which I have now. I was curios to know could your grand father possibly be the same Apache Jim Wilson?

Globetrotter

May 24, 2018
Palm Coast - Florida
Detector(s) used
ML GPZ 7000
ML CTX 3030
ML Equinox 800
ML Sovereign GT
ML Sovereign Elite
ML Sovereign XS-2a Pro
ML Sovereign XS
ML Explorer II
ML Excalibur II
ML GT 16000
ML Go Find 60
Garrett ATX
Garrett AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found the referenced picture....in a certain Book

My name is Stacy and Apache Jim Wilson was my grandfather. Unfortunately, he left my father in the care of his mother, not to be seen again. I have no information about him other than his name and that he was a known treasure hunter, oh and that he is dead. If anyone out there knows anything about him, I would be grateful.[/QUOTE]

The referenced picture in the "Sudden Wealth by Deek Gladson, "An introduction to successful treasure hunting", not the other four Sudden Wealth Booklets by Deek Gladson named, An Introduction To Treasure Hunting, An Introduction to Buried Treasure Hunting,Some Paths to Sudden Wealth by Glenn Carson.

There are at least four different Sudden Wealth Books Deek Gladson released containing various Treasure Hunting subject matter.

Just for info.......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread