Newbie Question about old railroad grades

hat_man

Sep 13, 2006
Sterling Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
I have recently started detecting and have a question about old defunct railroad grades. I found a very old map at a junk sale/auction that showed the existing railroad lines at the time. After some looking I found some of these had been re-routed and some were now defunct spurs and some were just never used again. My question is about searching these areas. Not so much on permissions and such ( I would only hunt where I had permission) but more on techniques. I'm sure these areas are full of large pieces of iron like spikes and the plates that held the rails to the ties, not to mention the rails themselves if they are still there. How do I not spend time digging up spike after spike when I would rather find coins or ??? I'm using a Minelab Quattro MP. I only got it 3 months ago and still haven't figured out all the bells and whistles but It won't take long. For the price with all the freebies I couldn't beat KellyCo. I don't know what you all think of them but I was treated very well.
Thanks for the help.
hat_man

OP
OP
H

hat_man

Sep 13, 2006
Sterling Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Thanks
You may be seeing my E-Auction for a set of slightly used railroad spikes soon. PMSL Or I could call them historic pieces of Illinois history. Might sell better.
If anyone else has any good ideas I'm all ears.

p.s. oroblanco=white gold ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread