Can we get on with it?

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm probably gonna catch hell for this.... but I feel the need to say it and I will get off the soap box.

Some folks dont like the new vBulletin format.... and have decided not to stay on with it. There are so many posts here about how much they hate it and are going to leave, etc. Letting the admins know what you like or dont like about the site is productive. However, I dont believe posting how much you hate it and then saying you are leaving because of it is. To me its just insulting to the folks running (and paying) for the site. It's free for me to use and post. If I dont like it that much I can simply go without throwing rotten tomatoes.

So... the point is.... I open up General Disc and wade through these posts when I'd rather be reading about THing or MDing. Granted...me posting this works against that line of thought on a certain level.

Who wants to get this thing back to the topic at hand?

I sure am.... and I'm sticking around and enjoying this place, dangit!

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some that are saying they are leaving are charter members. Maybe they feel like when they donate to the site they should be heard.

OP
OP
Lakemonster

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some that are saying they are leaving are charter members. Maybe they feel like when they donate to the site they should be heard.

I totally get that. As a former forum owner, and a person who has done an upgrade to vBulletin I have seen this before. Unfortunately some folks who donate (key word here) may feel like they are "buying shares".... which is not the case. Most forum owners take the donation money and put it ALL into costs of running the site.... when theres a surplus...they save it up to do what has been done here....upgrade to better software...or secure better hosting.

I gotta be honest, being where these guys are right now, they have done a marvelous job transferring the database over. I lost a database just switching over to a new server due to hosting screaming about how large it was and they could not apply it.....Tnet is much larger than what I was working with. The fact they pulled it off seamlessly (or as it would appear) in the time frame they did it is nothing less than a stellar achievement. If I were to meet them, I would buy them a round.

Some may not like the new setup, but this one truly works. The old software is extremely vulnerable to script hacks. Remember all the down time before? At least once a week it seemed like they were down for a half a day or more. I dont expect to see that so much anymore. Old software like that will have you waking up one morning to find that some nut job with no life has put your site in chains with his sick little graphic displaying how much he loves to rub it in your face. (been there 3 times).

Theres so much more to this than "Im leaving cuz I cant find the "X" button".

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If people don't post and complain, how are changes going to be made so it is more enjoyable to all of the members, many of these members have been here for many years, many have contributed funds to the website during those years as well and have a right to voice their opinion management has been good about trying to make changes to please them.
There were times when marc needed additional funds because of server problems equipment that was needed to be changed , many of the members including myself donated extra funds to help marc with the website over the years, new members just joining do not know how much or what it took to keep treasurenet online so they could be here today to enjoy it

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lakemonster

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Point taken on that. I havent been around to see what all was done over all the years.

John De

Nov 10, 2011
Pittsfield, Ma.
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Give them a chance - I had a problem logging in and they fixed it quick!!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The actual downtime treasurenet experience over the 6 years that I have been here was actually very little, the downtime was caused by hardware failures not by the site being hacked.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If people don't post and complain, how are changes going to be made so it is more enjoyable to all of the members......

What people need to post is called "constructive criticism". People who are making all these post saying that they hate the new site, everything is ruined, they are leaving, blah, blah, blah, are just adding useless noise.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread