Compass Xp Pro Plus?

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Nobody has used one I guess. I always wanted to try one and now have the chance just not sure yet if I'm going to pull the trigger.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never used the Plus but I doubt its much different to the Pro version. Compass were often leaders in the field with their designs. This was one of them and quite popular in Europe pre the French XP's coming out.

The advantage was a fast recovery speed for the time (so good in heavy iroin), well balanced from the point of view of working well on both high and low conductors and had "Vari Filter". Not variable filtering as we have on a few modern detectors but three (operational) filters rather than the two used by most brands or the four that Whites used for the 6000's and Spectrums. The advantage of this models filtering is that you could in effect sweep slow or fast without performance suffering.

Drawbacks are can you still get coils and repairs if needed. Seem to remember that there was no protection if you inserted the three nine volt batteries the wrong way round though that may have been sorted on the later models. Its going to be old so componants may have started to fail but if you have the chance to try it and the price is right it could still be a good choice. Don't expect the depth of say a Tejon. Its more intended to work well in high iron/rubbish areas than be a depth monster.

OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you Brian, The area I hunt in 90 % of the time is an old campground that had activity since the 1600's but it's FULL of rusty bottlecaps. Hopefully I can still pull some good targets out with the Compass. There is a guy who still repairs them so that's good. A 3 inch coils is available too so that would really help in the trash.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You just can't get round the fact that there's some of the old design detectors that still have their uses even today and can outperform the modern offerings at certain tasks, Usually on the more heavy side, might eat batteries (this Compass wasn't to bad on battery consumption but would always run one flat quicker than the others so it was best to rotate them) but the best of them had an X factor that can be lacking in in the modern attempts to create a "do it all" machine. Jack of all trades, master of none.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread