A message from R. Lee Ermey to people who make detecting videos on youtube

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was watching a bunch of videos on youtube today. I watched eleven, from eleven different people. And not ONCE did anyone even mention in PASSING, anything about covering their holes.
My God, I even saw one guy say, "This spot is back in the woods so it's not important to cover your holes so much." WHAT???? You're not the only person that goes into the woods, guy.
Look, I'm not saying you should spend 5 minutes showing you filling the holes, but at least MENTION it?
Please, I beg of you, for the future of the hobby.

coverholes.jpg

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been blamed for not filling my holes in, when ask ,I ask were, they say. I tell them I never hunted there then I go on the prowl and find out, and I tell them that they should fill in there hole. but you got to be sneaky in finding out who was the party and sucker them in too admit-ion...

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nit picking. A video is a video. We assume they are doing the right thing. Now you want them to mention it? Nit picking.

greydigger

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2008
Aloha, Orygun
Detector(s) used
wishing stick
Primary Interest:
Other
First and one time I met with a local club.
Was invited to a hunt and there was a "special prize" for the person who found it.
Met at a local fast food place where we were told of the site.
Was a football/soccer field at nearby school.
Maybe 30 folks suddenly hunting there.
Son and I started out near parking area and when we got down to the field there were
so many holes dug and walked away from it made me sick.
We covered the ones we saw and left.
(BTW Tristan found an Eifel Tower souveneer thing).
Never talked to them again but sent an E-mail stating my anger at them. No reply.
Sad to see that. And it was a club!
Grey

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thing is there a lot of guys that are not doing it - I have seen it at cellar holes - farm fields - beaches
been a long time but have seen it at parks and school yards too
yea - its a plowed farm field - but does it take more than 2 seconds to swipe your foot and push some of the soil back
- I hear guys in wet sand say - "oh the tide will fill it in" some times it don't - at least not as fast as you think
and at cellar holes - i think guys dont fill them to show others - I was here first - haha

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's gonna cost us our hobby.

It's that simple.

OP
OP
Diggit

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nit picking. A video is a video. We assume they are doing the right thing. Now you want them to mention it? Nit picking.
No, WE DON'T know they are doing the right thing. Maybe they ARE. How many people watch these things that AREN'T detectorists.

Yeah... "nit picking"... I mean, hell, who needs for there to be a positive image so we can detect in the future, right? As long as WE get our dirty pennies, SCREW the future..

Last edited:

Graddick

Sep 17, 2011
Ottawa
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not much you can do unfortunately. Commenting on the video itself sure won't make any difference. I once found a video of a guy detecting an abandoned farmhouse where he
(1) didn't get permission (and stated that explicitly)
(2) casually tossed his trash aside
I don't know if he covered up his holes but I would be surprised if he did. When I left a comment stating that he made the rest of us look bad his reply consisted of "Nobody asked for your opinion."

I can't find the video. All I remember is that I think it took place in Indiana.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions