🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
do you say - "I metal detect" or "I am a treasure hunter"
I cringe when my partner goes to ask permission and says
"Hi - my friend and I are treasure hunters and we'd like to get permission to hunt your land"
I usually will say - "Hi - I'm into metal detecting and would like to get permission to hit your land"

Don't mind using the term between other hunters and on forums - but was wondering if
a lot of guys use the term "treasure hunter" all the time to those outside the hobby

I just think if you walked up to my door and said you were a treasure hunter - that I would think
"Wow - there's treasure on my land?"
even saying your a relic hunter could get eyebrows a raising

Just curious how you present yourself

OP
OP
CASPER-2

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no replies:dontknow:

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When asking permission : "I'm into Metal detecting"

when asked what I Do, "Treasure Hunt",

& one of these days I actually hope to be a "Treasure Finder"

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I seldom use the word "treasure" when talking about my hobby.
"Treasure" has become a widely, and generally used word that is often used out of context.
Per WEBSTER's:

Treasure; WEALTH (as money, jewels, or precious metals) stored up. (b) RICHES; a store of money in reserve. Something of great worth or value.

Hence, “TreasureNet”…..is a “treasure hunting website” built on the principles of “treasure” and “treasure hunting”.
Always slays me whenever I hear someone claim, "It's not about the value of the items I find". Sure it is, or they wouldn't be here. At the same time, since the general population accepts "treasure" to mean wealth or value I just don't use it all that much when talking about the hobby within the general scope of things. I am a treasure hunter, but my hobby is metal detecting and looking for things lost and forgotten.

Last edited:

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigscoop, you got that right. I'm tired of hearing how they're not out for making a little profit. On another post today, I told them to use the fishing catch and release method. Find money, or jewels, just admire them and bury them again for me to recover.

Hey, I'm not proud :laughing9: Bottom line, you're looking for OP lost stuff :laughing7:

Michigander Dan

Mar 11, 2012
Water Wonderland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett Pinpointer pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree w/ you Casper, I use the word metal detecting when asking for permission to hunt their land and I like your key words of " I am into metal detecting " which implies that it is just a hobby which is exactly what it is and we hobbyists don't do this to get "rich", it is simply for our enjoyment and the curiosity in us.

K Zack

Feb 2, 2012
West Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab- Explorer XS, Excalibur 800, Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Fisher 1280X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When I ask for permission to hunt some ones land, I always say I am into Metal Detecting.
As Michigander Dan has said, Metal Detecting is just a Hobby.
It is a chance that you can hold a piece of History in your hand.
It is the chance of returning some thing of interest or value to its original owner.
Metal Detecting is not about profit.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigscoop, you got that right. I'm tired of hearing how they're not out for making a little profit. On another post today, I told them to use the fishing catch and release method. Find money, or jewels, just admire them and bury them again for me to recover.

Hey, I'm not proud :laughing9: Bottom line, you're looking for OP lost stuff :laughing7:

I'm not too proud to say "yes" "I want to strike it Rich !", therefore yes I am a treasure Hunter !

catch and release
? Not even if I Caught a trout out of season,
or a dauphin, while fishing for shrimp.
No I am not into fishing, but I am into Hoarding. at least till I Can make some Big $$$$

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
I also say that Metal detecting is my hobby. Any implication of treasure will get a quick "NO" from the land owner.

smartmoney

Dec 4, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always say Hi my name is so and so and my hobby is metal detecting. Would you mind me searching your property for some old coins? Now if I am at a place and approached by someone who is kicking me out, I say Im looking for loose change. Maybe they will feel sorry for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread