Dont like American Digger? Why not say it!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't like American Digger? Why not say it!

How about we make it known in our signatures? I'm not sure if Google hits on them but I hope.

So who's in?

Probably best to mention Spike or that it's the tv show so people don't confuse it with the magazine which is entirely different. To edit your signature click "settings" at the top, then you'll see it on the left side of the page.

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
hand print-2_edited-3.jpg I hate to say this, Iron Patch, but I like American Diggers. I view it as a kind of commedy like Pickers and Auction Hunters, and even Pawn Stars which has a bit more realism. I think the average viewer also views it as entertainment and the high prices quoted for the finds just might get some THs in some areas because the payback looks good. They have followed the "rules" so far, asked permission, split with owners, and left no hole unfilled, something some other THs have neglected to do. Lets get down to specifics, just what are they doing wrong?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Works For Me IP :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frankn...

Well I would disagree with you about Auction Hunters being any more real as I see it being pretty close to as ridiculous.

I also look at American Diggers as comedy relief, and that's great for us that know better, but this very distorted view of the hobby (AND US!) is eventually going to trickle down to a lot of land owners and make permission harder. I could write many things that is wrong with the show but I think it's pretty obvious to all of us, but if I had to pick one moment it would be him hitting the water line and saying it was a common occurrence. That I didn't really find funny because to me it says they're more than willing to sell out this hobby in any way to cash in. So since they are happy to sell me out I'll consider this post a jab back.

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
hand print-2_edited-3.jpg Iron Patch, I have never hit a waterline, so I think that was injected as a positive point, that is they repair any dammage they do. Sure they go overboard on things to hipe up the show like the overpriced finds, but I haven't seen anything deprimental to our hobby yet.

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just used a bob cat to dig up someones yard.

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's my new signature. If anyone wants to use it feel free to do so.

MrSchulz

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2012
DeWitt, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV, Custom Recovery tools, Nupla Prb4t Soil Probe 60 IN,
Primary Interest:
Other
I love the show, just for its topic but the overall show SUCKS. I don't like it for its show. I just like it that its about metal detecting. I mean, digging up a bunch of concrete and pulling out a 800 year old cross out of a air filter and a bunch of large cents in tact. Bull

treasurepirate1

Aug 21, 2010
Ontario canada
Detector(s) used
fisher f75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'v only seen a couple of the shows but i think it is just funny to watch, like when they sell a brittle saw a broken bear trap and a couple of rusty nic nacs for something like $6000. and there technique to defrost the ground is just the funniest most unrealistic and wasteful thing i'v ever seen in my life, they get a crud load of barrels and fill them up with wood and while it's burning all of the sudden you hear a random loud voice "BOOM BABY" while he is pouring gas on the fires and everyone is just overreacting and freaking out, i just can't help but laugh in hysterics over it all. my opinion I don't hate the show, actually i kind of like watching it for these reasons.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I am with Frankn i sort of like the show....They show asking and getting turned down... they show they repair something they broke....... Yes they yell but so what we all yell at times........ I don't under stand the lynch mob mentality on these shows....... " Lynch mob mentality " Some one says something bad about someone or something so in order to belong to the group they agree and join in with the mob...

laurieshub

Greenie
May 7, 2012
north Alabama
Detector(s) used
garret
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the over-reaction is funny but the cliffhangers while we wait thru a commercial is really funny

May 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a new poster but not new to the hobby. I was approached through email back in January, 2011, to be a potential candidate for the show. During the telephone interview, it became obvious I was not the "character" they were looking for and I forgot about it until I started reading your posts and then finally saw the show. I'm saddened and opposed to the route they chose, but reality TV isn't about reality, is it? I am a packrat though, and saved the original email. It contains contact information, so I'd suggest if you want to lodge a complaint to give them a call or Fax them. Here's is the email with names struck out:
Hi XXX,

My name is XXXX XXXXXXXX, and I work in development at Gurney Productions in Los Angeles. Recently, we've had a great deal of success with one of our newest shows, Auction Hunters (Spike TV), and we are in the very early stages of developing a similarly structured show about treasure hunting and metal detection.

I stumbled upon your blog while doing research for the show, and would really like to speak with you regarding the potential of bringing you on as one of the featured hunters, or even picking your brain a little bit about treasure hunting. I am available by phone at 310-645-1499 from 10:00 - 8:00PST, or by e-mail at this address 24/7.

I very much look forward to speaking with you!

Thanks,

XXXX XXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXX
Gurney Productions
Office: 310.645.1499
Fax: 310.645.1450
[email protected]

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
but reality TV isn't about reality, is it?
That is what they don't understand it's TV .... Is there any thing on the reality TV that is real .... Is there any thing on TV that is all the truth.NO ... The news tells you what they want you to hear not the truth..... Sports so much betting on it you never know if some one took a pay off to miss a play.....And reality tv not real just there to entertain you...

TheHarleyMan2

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2008
Never Know I May Live Next To You!
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500/Bounty Hunter
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is what they don't understand it's TV .... Is there any thing on the reality TV that is real .... Is there any thing on TV that is all the truth.NO ... The news tells you what they want you to hear not the truth..... Sports so much betting on it you never know if some one took a pay off to miss a play.....And reality tv not real just there to entertain you...

The show COPS and the DUMBEST CRIMINALS!!
:thumbsup:

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I just watched this show for the first time. What a crock. Its so fake! They hit random areas, then from those, they get some random permissions, then on that few area they can dig, they act like they need to hit thousands of dollars in items in a few hours to "break even". And then they start pulling swords, silver sets, huge caches of coins, all from this area.........it looks totally staged.

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
really...3 year old post fired up again....pfffft

Top Member Reactions