Which Metal Detector

toddrod

Mar 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Long time reader, first time poster. I am currently using an older Terso Lobo for detecting and I was looking at upgrading a bit. I want something that will tell me depth and type before I dig. Any idea on what I should pick up next. I was looking at buying the Teknetics Gamma or was looking an older used White (Eagle) at about the same price. What do you think.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Lobos are great detectors but the price of the sensitivity is a lack of depth and there's no toys.

The two detectors you have choosen will both give you more depth and are quite similar in some ways (Gamma 7.8 kHz, Whites 6.592 kHz frequency) and stock coils that each suffer the same problem of target masking from nearby metal.

The Gamma is new, lightweight, and well featured for its price. The Spectrums are metal built, tried and tested and have just about every adjustment you should ever need. A best seller for years with good reason. On the other hand no longer made and performance with any older detector can be iffy as things drift off tune.

I love my XLT but to get the best out of it you have to work, consider what your after and the sites your on. On the other hand it will grow with you so you won't get bored with it. The Teknetics is good but I would rather have a secondhand T2 than a new Gamma. Weight could be a consideration as the older you go in the Spectrum line the heavier they are and feel. The XLT had an improved battery system, smaller, lighter control box so it doesn't feel as bad as the weight would suggest (but double that of the Gamma).

I've decided. On the reliability side, new with a warranty has most attractions. I would not get an older Whites, no need for a E series, but the XLT is as old as you should go unless you know who you are buying off. The Gamma is good but for a little more you can get better so check the models just up the range and perhaps take advantage of those who have to have the latest "fashion" in detectors and buy a near new with remaining or a dealers warranty.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
Teknetics Gamma 6000 is $499 new. A used White's Eagle should be much cheaper. And much heavier! Had the Gamma 6000, but only used briefly & didn't adjust ground balance manually (just used groud grab) & perhaps park searched didn't have anything deep. Found about 15 coins in an hour down to 3" or so & IDs were very accurate, seemed to separate fairly well, very light, easy pinpointing. Then I bought a new Garrett AT Pro ($595 MAP price, e-mail or phone quotes bit less). I got a Teknetics G2 used (same guts as Fisher Gold Bug Pro DP) new price about $699. The AT Pro & G2 are current favorites of mine as current models under $1K. AT Pro can go 10' underwater. Best wishes, George (MN)

OP
OP
T

toddrod

Mar 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the responses. I just left a MD shop that is about 30min. from the house that I had no idea about. I have it nnarrowed down to three that are in my price range. Garret AT pro. Whites MXT pro and a used Minelab Safari. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

toddrod

Mar 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW. I Plan to buy tomorrow. Any feedback would be great. Pro's or Con's anyone?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All three are good choices, I currently own a Minelab Safari, love it, have heard good things about the AT and MXT... An added feature about the AT PRO is it is waterproof, it is a water detector that can be sued on land so you could hunt in the rain if you wanted, or not have to worry if you got caught in the rain since it is a water detector....

mullnax

Apr 10, 2012
El Paso
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has anyone ever used this

Been looking at this metal detector for a few weeks now. It is very expensive in my opinion I think it is running around 35,000. If you watch the video it says you point in an area and sweep and it picks up the ions from the gold and tells you where it is. Seems like the easiest way to find caves or buried gold at depth without searching over the ground and you should be able to cover a much larger area than with most traditional detectors. Here is the name and the company is OKM in Germany. Just curious. Bionic X4 gold long range detector and here is the link to the video

williamsingr

Mar 15, 2012
U.P. Michigan
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT PRO, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The long range finder from what Ive read is a hoax it dont work, the MXT PRo on the otherhand is a great machine, works well in all soil conditions and will hit hot on gold, buy it you wont be disappointed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions