Banner Finds being given out alot more now on new forum??

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Well in my case i would never get a banner ...... The reason is i never show or tell of my find's...... I know what i find and that is all that matters to me....... In my world my find's are my own business and no one elses .... Now if i was a dealer that would be a different story...... I would post my good finds and say i found this with this brand of detector...... Then i would hope you would buy that brand of detector from me.......... But since i am not a dealer no one needs to know what i find.....

DeadElvis

Apr 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow. Are people really looking that hard for something to complain about?

I'd much rather see new thumbnails up top, as long as they are worthy, to read about. Seeing the same 15 for six months or so would be, well, a bit boring.

Just my .02. That and 4 bucks will get you a regular coffee at Starbucks.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same arguement pops up ever so often here, I have seen basically this same thread on here at least 4 times over the last 6 years.........

Bubba65

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Ok here is my thoughts on the Banner. First there seems to be no rules any more about making the Banner and maybe there wasn't before. But I do know that you use too have a good many post before you were allowed too make the Banner. Now it seems like you can make it on your first post. So now the one hit wonders that come on and post great things just to play games will make the Banner. New members have made it now, so why not them. As far as rare , valuable etc. i am all for any kind of treasure making the Banner. I believe what hasn't been said is that the diamond rings are still being lost everyday, the older ancient coins and relics are no longer being lost, that too me is the only differance between the two, but they are both treasures. Rare also comes in all differant forms, take the Tiffany saucer I found last week. I have not seen too many tiffany items dug by anyone, so too me that is a rare event. What makes it more rare is the fact that I myself which doesn't always do took the time to dig a signal that blew out my ear drums which most all of us would not have dug. I don't know what made me do it, but it did pay off. Now i do have too say is that Tiffany saucer Banner worthy I didn't think so, but I do know it was rare too dig one up. So the moral of the story is treasure comes in all forms as well the find being rare.

While I am on a roll I have always felt that we should have a Banner just for days that some one has a heck of a day digging, but yet doesn't have that one super find too make the Banner. Yet if you took the overall quality of all the finds a person made in their days hunt the sum of them would blow many Banner finds away.

Ok note too all above was just my thoughts and not typed too get in any fights.

Bubba65

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well to me some of the finds posted and some of the banner finds posted...... Were not really found .... If you get my point..........

GoldenEagle

Nov 2, 2011
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
GTAX 550
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey tnetters, What is defined as a banner find? Is it getting the most votes? or is it finding items that are once in a life time finds? I feel like the "like button and all this added facebook crap additives to the tnet soup is getting to be to much. What ever happened to making and keeping something simple and consistent?

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey tnetters, What is defined as a banner find? Is it getting the most votes? or is it finding items that are once in a life time finds? I feel like the "like button and all this added facebook crap additives to the tnet soup is getting to be to much. What ever happened to making and keeping something simple and consistent?
You see the old Tnet was really good ...... So good they had to change it so it would be like all the others not so good.......... And you are right the old Tnet was easy and simple that was why it was so good........ And you are right to much crap additives......

Last edited:

DaleGM

Aug 21, 2009
Sacramento Cailifonia
Detector(s) used
V3i DFX MXT Excal II D2 6x10 950 4x6 & dx-1
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it's particulary hard to go and find a quite expensive ring from the beach, Modern finds should not make the banner in my view. If you live near the coast you can hunt most of the time, and all you have to do is go were the activity has been. Ancient and CW finds have to be researched first, and then a lot of work put in. Only ever did the beaches once, when I was on holiday, I searched for a hour after breakfast three times, and found three Gold rings.

SS
and your 3 gold rings are worthy of a congrats here on the forum,a banner find......... maybe not. but if you ever had a look at Western & Eastern Treasures magazine Annual (best finds) finds you will see rings two, five, or 10 thousand bucks published because they are tough and a rare find.
if they are good enough to make the annual finds for W&E treasures ................. they are surely worthy enough to make banner here on T Net

OP
OP
jimmy uk

jimmy uk

Nov 3, 2010
Essex
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi guys some silly comments in my eyes that have been made about "Treasure Finds" theres Two types of "Treasure hunters" in this hobbie one is in it for the value of the item you found and there other like me n million others are in it for the History! Too me when i found a 19th century buckle or a 17th century button thats "Treasure" in my eyes as it was lost the same ways as any modern items found. TREASURE FINDS aint just about GOLD or SILVER items with $£$£$£$£ its about digging up all types of history and metals. yes gold and silver are nice to find but theres more lovely items to be found which aint gold or silver but just as nice

Last edited:

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't treasure hunt for just gold or silver and there's many brass and copper items worth more because of rarity than even gold finds. Those who do aim to recover gold will find every other metal better and are just the ones not to be taken in by the doubtful benefits of I.D. displays.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Same arguement pops up ever so often here, I have seen basically this same thread on here at least 4 times over the last 6 years.........
TH........Are you saying that once that something has been talked about at one time...... We should not talk about it again..... If that was the case no one would ever say any thing on here but one time.....

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and your 3 gold rings are worthy of a congrats here on the forum,a banner find......... maybe not. but if you ever had a look at Western & Eastern Treasures magazine Annual (best finds) finds you will see rings two, five, or 10 thousand bucks published because they are tough and a rare find.
if they are good enough to make the annual finds for W&E treasures ................. they are surely worthy enough to make banner here on T Net
Perhaps you are right, but W&E is a US mag, andI would expect a lot of beach stuff be showed in it, I just can get my head around a mega bucks modern ring being rare...that's all. But I wouldn't throw one back either.:icon_thumleft:

SS

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH........Are you saying that once that something has been talked about at one time...... We should not talk about it again..... If that was the case no one would ever say any thing on here but one time.....

No, Keppy, I am not saying that at all, I am simply saying the exact same discussion pops up here almost every year, usually started exactly the same way this one started and follows the same lines.....

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, it is interesting to see the diversity in our hobby. One thing I've noticed over the years is that most treasure hunters specialize in a specific area, i.e, prospecting, relic hunting, beach hunting, cache hunting, artifacts, etc. Some are in it for the history, some are in it for the value. What clearly stands out sometimes in discussions like this is a total lack of respect or support for the other guy or his personal area of interest and I believe that down through the years that has really hurt all of us. When I look up at that banner and see all the listed finds I see "unity", while many others only see the individual finds. The day we become so divided that we start breaking off into our own little clicks is the day we start losing it all. On man's trash is another man's treasure.....because that's the way it should be and needs to be. :icon_thumright:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
No, Keppy, I am not saying that at all, I am simply saying the exact same discussion pops up here almost every year, usually started exactly the same way this one started and follows the same lines.....
TH.... They all pop up again you know what detector... Then some one says what kind of hunting .... Then what ever detector they use they tell them that is the best one... And so on and so on ........On almost every subject...... But now we can talk about the Treasure hunting shows something new...... And they do have a good garage sale forum with Ebay & Amazon tossed in to it.......... You know on all the forums ours on Tnet and on others ....... We ask the same questions and then see the same answers........... But i guess we like it we keep doing it..............:occasion14:

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those asking in earlier posts what finds up top currently do not belong up there... Well here is my opinion:

1829 Bust Dime - It's not a particularly valuable coin and it has been scratched to heck. So now $10 coins make the banner? There is even a post in that thread asking how this common coin even made the banner and asked why people were voting for it.

1739 King George - Sure, it's in nice condition. But there is nothing special about this coin either. This is the perfect example of a pretty picture making a common find a banner find. You might as well start putting up nice condition 1852 large cents as well if this coin can make it.

This site has too many people voting banner that have never made great finds, so any time they see anything old they shout out "BANNER!"

Now all of the other finds up there are deserving and should be up there, imo.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread