Banner Finds being given out alot more now on new forum??

jimmy uk

Nov 3, 2010
Essex
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi people ive notice since this new treasurenet was changed that theres been more banner finds in the last few months then there was in whole year on the old site :icon_scratch: im not saying the banner finds aint good as some of the banners finds have been out of this world great finds :icon_thumleft: but i think the whole ""banner find"" is being used too willing and that it will burn out and not be as special as it used to be as i remember joining this site a few year ago and it was rare to see someone have a banner find but now its like every day ???

thanks for reading

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, there have been some less than grandiose finds up there lately. I think finds should meet a certain criteria before being considered/admitted to the banner. This is only for the best of the best. They should have a certain historical significance and rarity, context and condition should also play a role.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
What diggumup said:
"historical significance and rarity"

Banner finds should not be made cheap.

I never posted a banner find. The Mods were always keeping the
banners out of my reach. Over the years I learned that they just
don"t appreciate and grasp the nature of all the junk I have dug . :dontknow::icon_scratch:

have a good un.
SHERMANVILLE

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had value listed, but I edited it off before I posted. I figured rarity would encompass value but now that I think about it, your right, just because something is rare doesn't mean it's always valuable. :thumbsup:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it's particulary hard to go and find a quite expensive ring from the beach, Modern finds should not make the banner in my view. If you live near the coast you can hunt most of the time, and all you have to do is go were the activity has been. Ancient and CW finds have to be researched first, and then a lot of work put in. Only ever did the beaches once, when I was on holiday, I searched for a hour after breakfast three times, and found three Gold rings.

SS

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Rare is a relative term. Whats rare in the east may not be rare in the west or visa versa. Whats rare in England... well whats rare in England is probably rare everywhere. Hey that's an idea, why not limit banner finds to the Old World. Maybe it should only be the rarest of the rare Civil War relics from a certain state. God knows if I found a beautiful confederate buckle or a $10,000 gold and diamond ring that wouldn't be the find of a lifetime for me and shouldn't even be considered a banner find. Heck while were at it why don't we just say only certain people on here should be allowed to have finds on the banner.
What I'm trying to say here is, is it killing you good folks to let people have their day in the sun even if you may not consider their find banner worthy? Just because you don't think its banner worthy doesn't mean that nobody else does.
OK, feel free to now tell me I'm an idiot and explain to me that the banner is sacred.
2s

Last edited:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
............I have made posts in the past that one of which is the only specimen known and a price can not even be placed on it(I have been offered a VERY handsome sum for it)and it didnt make banner....that was fine,because the banner was something that only the best of the best went to.....now...well I will stop there.Another thing I hate about this "new",site

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Dont you guys know that in this day and age every find is a banner find,just like there are no longer losers or winners in little league games. Nobody should be made to feel left out, its the politically correct thing to do LMFAO

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmmmm....."treasurenet".......any highly valuable or historically significant/rare/unique find is a treasure.....so these "treasures" should make the banner. I guess my first question would be this....what are you seeing on the banner that you don't feel should be there? To me, they are all, "really nice finds".

OP
OP
jimmy uk

jimmy uk

Nov 3, 2010
Essex
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
some good n bad points people lol! at the end of the day the "Banner Find" was something to be proud of on the old site but this site its just something everybody gets which doesnt make it rare any more

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rare is a relative term. Whats rare in the east may not be rare in the west or visa versa. Whats rare in England... well whats rare in England is probably rare everywhere. Hey that's an idea, why not limit banner finds to the Old World. Maybe it should only be the rarest of the rare Civil War relics from a certain state. God knows if I found a beautiful confederate buckle or a $10,000 gold and diamond ring that wouldn't be the find of a lifetime for me and shouldn't even be considered a banner find. Heck while were at it why don't we just say only certain people on here should be allowed to have finds on the banner.
What I'm trying to say here is, is it killing you good folks to let people have their day in the sun even if you may not consider their find banner worthy? Just because you don't think its banner worthy doesn't mean that nobody else does.
OK, feel free to tell me I'm an idiot and explain to me that the banner is sacred now.
2s
Like I said IN MY VIEM. All I'm saying is that $10,000 rings arn't rare.:icon_thumleft:

SS

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like I said IN MY VIEM. All I'm saying is that $10,000 rings arn't rare.:icon_thumleft:

SS

Been doing this a very long time. Know hundreds of good beach hunters, most of which have never found a $10'000 ring, or even personally know someone who has. What beaches do you hunt? :laughing7:

Now if you would have said $5000 I'd have to agree with you. But $10'000......I'm thinking "BANNER" all the way.

Last edited:

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
some good n bad points people lol! at the end of the day the "Banner Find" was something to be proud of on the old site but this site its just something everybody gets which doesnt make it rare any more

Really? There are 33,349 members on this site. I sure don't see 33,349 banner finds up there. I can almost guarantee you that the people who have finds up there are proud of them, well, I believe that Silver Searcher has said in another thread that he didn't think a couple of his finds should be on there but...

SS

I'm on the phone making reservations for a trip to England so I can follow you around Silver Searcher. 'Cause if finding a $10,000 ring isn't rare for you I am detecting in the wrong areas and need you to show me how its done!

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been doing this a very long time. Know hundreds of good beach hunters, most of which have never found a $10'000 ring, or even personally know someone who has. What beaches do you hunt? :laughing7:

Now if you would have said $5000 I'd have to agree with you. But $10'000......I'm thinking "BANNER" all the way.
I said $10,000 rings arn't rare...they arn't... look in the jewelers you see plenty, I would suspect not many people finding a ring of that value shouting about it anywere. All I'm saying is that it's easier to find a modern valuble ring, than it is to find a Rare Ancient Coin, or CW artifact.

SS

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I said $10,000 rings arn't rare...they arn't... look in the jewelers you see plenty, I would suspect not many people finding a ring of that value shouting about it anywere. All I'm saying is that it's easier to find a modern valuble ring, than it is to find a Rare Ancient Coin, or CW artifact.

SS

Obviously, you don't beach/ring hunt. There's a reason you don't see posters shouting on about the $10'000 ring they just found. Hint....it's a rare event when one is found. :laughing7:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obviously, you don't beach/ring hunt. There's a reason you don't see posters shouting on about the $10'000 ring they just found. Hint....it's a rare event when one is found. :laughing7:
You obviously never read my earlier reply...no matter. You are missing the point anyway, good luck at the beach. :icon_thumleft:

2screwed

Mar 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

You will never see me post one on here for sure. I just want to let the powers that be know I only find pull tabs and nails!
That being said I want you all to know that if I ever do find a $10,000 ring you will be pulling off your headphones and asking yourself "Did I just hear someone yell?"

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

SS

I disagree, using your logic Rare Ancient Coin, or CW artifacts are not rare either, look at the museums they are full of them around the world, what is rare is finding them in the real world, just as it is rare to find a $10,000 diamond ring in the real world...

Rings and jewelry like those on banner belong on the banner just as much as ancient coins do.... Treasure doesn't mean rare, treasure is defined as "wealth or riches stored or accumulated, especially in the form of precious metals, money, jewels, or plate. often one which is considered lost or forgotten until being rediscovered."

I have beach hunted for 6 years, found 8 diamond rings, found 4 more diamond earrings, and still havent found close to a $10,000 diamond ring, I know at least 10 other hunters personally and none of them have found a $10,000 diamond ring and i bet the combined total time detecting for the 10 or 11 of us is well over 50 years and still no $10,000 ring......

$10,000 diamond rings found on the beach are rare.............

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't care what it is, a 5k find is a banner find, case closed. Who gives a damn what form it comes in if it will put 50 hundred dollar bills in your pocket.

I see two possible scenarios for the banner finds increase.... new people are doing it that don't rally know, or it's a strategy of some sort thinking it will make the site better. (or both) That said, I have seen some pretty simple stuff up there before the switch! What would you rather find a 5k ring or Spanish 2 reales? Anyone that says the 2 reales either has a million in the bank or doesn't have a brain, another case closed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread