don’t be duped

donlor

Apr 4, 2007
staten island, ny
Detector(s) used
tesoro sand shark, tesoro tiger shark, tesoro cibola, goldbug se
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just can’t understand this - it is wrong to be this way in the 21st century. I sent my sand shark to tesoro to fix a problem. When I called to find out what was happening I spoke with Robert. Something is wrong here - he was way too nice. He actually spent 20 minutes speaking with me. I will report him to tesoro management as he should’ve been repairing my detector! Don’t these tesoro people know that impersonal service beats customer satisfaction? What was even more frustrating to me was that Robert spoke english - impersonating an american - what’s up with that? I wonder what his real name is - and I’d bet I couldn’t even pronounce it. As hard as I tried to - I couldn’t catch him lying to me - but I’m sure I must’ve missed something.

Something is going on with tesoro - there HAS to be a catch somewhere here. I thought all night about what could be Robert’s motives. Nobody in customer service is that nice without having an ulterior motive. I know that Robert had to be trying to sucker me into something - but I am at a loss as to what it might be? Yes, I already called my credit card companies and had them replace my cards. I am going to the bank to change my accounts.

And no, it is not to tesoro’s credit that I have scooped my fair share of gold. I did the work! They did not just drop gold into my scoop. Why they sell their detectors at such a reasonable price is beyond me. Made in the USA can’t be that inexpensive. Their place in Prescot, AZ has to be a front.

My strategy is this - I will keep on buying tesoro detectors until I find out what their REAL objective is. When I finally bust them I will tell you all about it. No real company would allow their staff to spend 20 minutes talking to a customer when that staff person could be enjoying themself on facebook. I’ll bet you that the next time I call tesoro I’ll get a slick, sultry voice on the phone - but I’ll be ready for it.

As a fellow detector I felt it incumbent on me to warn you about tesoro. They HAVE to be up to something. Watch out for Robert - I just know he will lure you into something! He is really slick in pretending to care about you. Fore-warned is fore-armed.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Be CAREFUL Donlor! Some of those guys actually troll around this net to get into our HEADS! Just to see if they can get a jump on the competition. I know others do. Instead of using names that us normal hunters use, they should tag every post with "Tesoro Rep" so we would know. Just a thought. TTC

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Robert spoke English?!!! Unforgivable!

We have a fleet of computers and chatting with illiterate tech people is a way of life for me. What's even worse are doctors who don't speak English. Nuff said.

Tesoro customer courtesy legend. They've repaired FREE used machines that the original owned had let the batteries rot in them and leak all over the circuit board. One machine was old and had been previously owned by an unknown number of people. No problem and no charge. just try to match that with any other detector manufacturer.

Many people just don't understand how detectors are designed and marketed. All the major makers know how to make the deepest machines possible. All of them could do it with no problem. So, why are Tesoro detectors (and some others) not as deep as some brands/models? This is easy to answer. It is because max. depth IS NOT a good thing. Maximum depth possible in VLF equals instability (falsing and erratic behavior) if run at maximum depth capabilities.

What most people do who spend $900+ on a detector is they end up tuning it way down to where it's effectively no deeper than a Tesoro Silver uMax. But where do all the dimes dug at 30 inches deep come from? They come from approx. 4.75 inches deep (the real original depth most coins are at) after free-fall from that position to the bottom of the hole (poor pinpointing and over digging + BS). I love Minelabs for another reason but they suck at pinpointing unless one uses a tiny coil (back to only good depth).

Tesoro has always opted for good depth with excellent stability (good targets easily IDed). I've known these people for years and their whole philosophy is to produce an honest detector as free from today's BS as possible. Originally (back in the early days) this was the strategy used by the real Fisher company. In fact, back about in the 70's or so, one Fisher ad told why they weren't putting meters on their detectors (the same reason many of us have stated countless times). But the public demanded meters and other gimmicks so Fisher gave in.

The top "deep" machines today have opted for Excellent depth POTENTIAL with lousy stability (falsing, erratic, you name it).

In the perfect "coin garden" setting the "super deep" machines rule. But out in the real world of treasure they often stink. One digs many holes with nothing in them and constantly has to work hard to sort through tons of non-productive racket, etc. To me that's not relaxing and fun.

I have experimented with this many times. Carefully hunt an area with a Tesoro Silver uMax and then re-hunt the exact same area with a big gun. In my tests I found nothing more of any real value (maybe a few missed targets due to just missing them the first time). While I did find trash much deeper with some expensive machines I really did no better on old coins or rings (the good stuff).

I like some modern technology mainly for target separation--not depth. But overall the Tesoro machines produce more if used as carefully as one would use a machine costing a ton of money. We all tend to be influenced by the cost of the machine. The more expensive, the harder we try. The psychological plays big time in this hobby.

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread