1914 ballfield

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK big guy...Jesus, you're annoying, hahaha!! I've been detecting for 2 months big shot. You strike me as a guy with few friends. So, because I don't find the need to spend a bunch of $$$ on a detector and I'm happy with the stuff I've been fiding as a NEW md'er, I'm wasting my time? Good to know early on that I need to avoid your HIGHNESS. So yeah...for right now...when I find a few coins that are close to or over 100 years old, I get excited...and it keeps me coming back. I'm also happy that I find enough clad change while I'm out there to fill up my gas tank once a week.

I've been finding more than just coins, jackass, and I've been finding more than just a few things in an ahour. Your ASSumptions speak clearly for the type of guy you are.... Your smugness doesn't make you look cool....

Sorry if I offend some people, but from the very short time I've been here all I see from this guy is smart ass remarks. I won't take sarcasm for voicing my opinion.

YOU are the "some people" that I initially spoke of and it's clear you knew that.

You've resorted to name calling. It sounds like somebody needs a hug! :hello: I'm here for you bud!

OP
OP
dustytrails123

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you know this? What is your basis for comparison? It's amazing how many times I've heard this statement by people with lesser machines that honestly just don't know any better. They think that because they have gridded a place several times and dug every possibly target that the spot has just been killed and is picked over. Then my friend and I come in and dig 15-20 silver out of there in a day.

Heck, I will be hunting side by side Ace users and have them tell me that they can't find a single good target and the place must be picked clean while I'm finding 5-10 old coins an hour and they aren't even iffy targets.
i consider it picked over if i spent an hour there and come up with nothing and ive done this at afew places not even a clad penny coming out ......most coins i find arent very deep not because my detector missed them because the coins just dont go that deep on there own the only reason i found a dime at 9 inches in my ball field is because it was in the gravel thats been worked and plowed every week for years on end with an old tractor drag i hunt with a guy who uses a 2800 dollar mine lab and ive yet to see him even dig a clad quarter but he tells me he does.... so far 3 times out with him the ace owned him and i look forward to the next time he comes to show him up yet again ...not saying the minelab isnt good it comes down to the user and 3 days on my simple machine i could out detect him and hes had his for a year ...but yeh i consider anything picked over when i cant even find clad normally clad is all over at places that arent pounded out so if i find clad i keep hunting for silver

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i consider it picked over if i spent an hour there and come up with nothing and ive done this at afew places not even a clad penny coming out ......most coins i find arent very deep not because my detector missed them because the coins just dont go that deep on there own the only reason i found a dime at 9 inches in my ball field is because it was in the gravel thats been worked and plowed every week for years on end with an old tractor drag i hunt with a guy who uses a 2800 dollar mine lab and ive yet to see him even dig a clad quarter but he tells me he does.... so far 3 times out with him the ace owned him and i look forward to the next time he comes to show him up yet again ...not saying the minelab isnt good it comes down to the user and 3 days on my simple machine i could out detect him and hes had his for a year ...but yeh i consider anything picked over when i cant even find clad normally clad is all over at places that arent pounded out so if i find clad i keep hunting for silver

Why is this guy using a gold machine to hunt baseball diamonds? I would imagine any machine would own him in these circumstances. The only reason to use one of their gold machines is when looking for gold or when you are out doing something like CW relic hunting and trying to bleed the place dry of any possible target that could exist there.

There are a LOT of spots where you can't find clad. I've hunted many spots where there isn't a single shallow coin target left but I still end up with 25 old coins on the day and maybe 32 cents in clad total.

But even if you are finding lots of clad, that doesn't mean a whole lot. My friends and I don't dig clad at all. The only clad we will dig are quarters because every couple of hunts they turn into nice silver rings. Dimes / Nickels / Pennies, we all ignore and leave behind.

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think some of you are full of crap and need to get over yourselves.

CousinEddie

Mar 22, 2012
Cark and Ellen's
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Vaquero, 31" Lesche Ball Handle Sampson Shovel, Lesche Tool, Garrett PP, Ultimate Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My friends and I don't dig clad at all.

That's funny!! You don't have any friends, hahaha!! I'll tell ya', if I ever met you...it wouldn't be a hug I'd give you. Are you this smug in real life? If so, you must wear a helmet to avoid all the shots to your mouth. I bet you have to sit down to pee. :laughing7: Guess the women don't buy your "stories" so you come here to annoy people? Hahaha!! What a douchebag, hahaha!! Gonna' ignore you from here on out....

Last edited:

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's funny!! You don't have any friends, hahaha!! I'll tell ya', if I ever met you...it wouldn't be a hug I'd give you. Are you this smug in real life? If so, you must wear a helmet to avoid all the shots to your mouth. I bet you have to sit down to pee. :laughing7: Guess the women don't buy your "stories" so you come here to annoy people? Hahaha!! What a douchebag, hahaha!! Gonna' ignore you from here on out....

It's ok to admit that you need a hug, bud. Otherwise you wouldn't need to resort to immature name calling. I would love to have a rational argument based on facts with you, but I guess that just isn't possible. Thanks for putting me on ignore.

montanagold

Apr 20, 2008
Montana
Detector(s) used
Curently the AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No worries Dusty, I am telling you that a detector is only as good as the user and it does depend on where you are hunting, clad or not. Thetruth is that certian sites are different. I hunt a bunch of old homesteads and I would take a Garrett ace or AT over a minelab in those sites anyday mostly because they are so junky and most of the coins we find are not deep at all. private yards and ballfields I would be comfortable with both the ACE and a minelab because there is less junk. I have a buddy that digs seated and older coins on a regular basis with his ACE 250 mostly because he hunts the same old town constantly, Never a clad coin and finds old coins constintly so it depends on the area. Your 350 will have no problem finding coins at 8 or 9 inches, I guarentee it. No matter what anyone says.

OP
OP
dustytrails123

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No worries Dusty, I am telling you that a detector is only as good as the user and it does depend on where you are hunting, clad or not. Thetruth is that certian sites are different. I hunt a bunch of old homesteads and I would take a Garrett ace or AT over a minelab in those sites anyday mostly because they are so junky and most of the coins we find are not deep at all. private yards and ballfields I would be comfortable with both the ACE and a minelab because there is less junk. I have a buddy that digs seated and older coins on a regular basis with his ACE 250 mostly because he hunts the same old town constantly, Never a clad coin and finds old coins constintly so it depends on the area. Your 350 will have no problem finding coins at 8 or 9 inches, I guarentee it. No matter what anyone says.
Yeh im starting to get the hang of the unit and if theres a coin thats 8 inches maybe 9 i dont think id miss it ive even found some at 5 inches with nails on them and surrounded by bottle caps ect...it does a real good job at picking them out of trash even when the trash is on the coin....i just need to find something that hasnt been raped over yet and its proving hard to do i think theres alot more people in the hobby then i ever thought before

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Well guys, you can fuss and discuss all you want to, but that won't get much accomplished. Read Thomas Dankowski's discoveries where he carefully dissects soils and shows the amount of scrap and tiny iron pieces in it, and the discussions will end. Why? Because it takes a rather decent metal detector to find even a fraction of the goodies in and around all the junk iron. If your machine won't cherry-pick or discriminate well, you are leaving a ton of stuff behind, and that's a fact, and you will be anyway, no matter how much you spend on a detector! A $300 machine or even a $500 detector can't match an F-75 or Omega 8000 though (which currently is the best currently produced cherry-picker on the market). This is not an opinion, nor is it a joke. Check this out: Monte designed these tests, and Monte is famous for his detector analysis and information. The first vid shows us things about iron trash in one of his tests/articles, and it it a real eye opener!

Dankowski Detectors Metal Detecting Training and Knowledge Webpage Read about how much scrap iron is in the soil.

Omega nail board test:

The coil was removed to show how uncommonly fast the thing can cherry-pick, discriminate.

This old Sweetheart is as close as it gets to the Omega 8000.

This is the Ace 250, and it's circuitry/performance is no different than the Ace 350, it just has fewer toys. You will not like the results, and yes, he is operating the detector correctly and it is functioning correctly too.

On the other hand, an expensive eTrac does not necessarily equal success at gleaning good targets from bad ones, as anyone can clearly tell by this professional eTrac owner showing it in the video.

The point is that money (usually) gets you better performance, but not always.

LL

Last edited:

montanagold

Apr 20, 2008
Montana
Detector(s) used
Curently the AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have seen hundreds of vids with very specific air tests and they show some great tests but no real world application. The best machine out there is the one that you like wheather it be fisher Garrett Minelab or Bounty hunter. Just dig and have fun.

OP
OP
dustytrails123

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always get a kick out of the youtube videos comparing minelabs to garret 350's and garret 250's a machine a fraction of the price and they hold there own against them in air and ground tests ...i even watched a guy with his se pro bury dimes quarters and what not at 9 inches and the garret held up to the minelab and i felt bad for the guy since he just upgraded to a 1400 dollar unit to only to see the same results with his old ace 350 ...gotta love that

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always get a kick out of the youtube videos comparing minelabs to garret 350's and garret 250's a machine a fraction of the price and they hold there own against them in air and ground tests ...i even watched a guy with his se pro bury dimes quarters and what not at 9 inches and the garret held up to the minelab and i felt bad for the guy since he just upgraded to a 1400 dollar unit to only to see the same results with his old ace 350 ...gotta love that

How many ace users can you find on tnet that found over 100 silver in 2011?

Real world results is what speaks the loudest.

OP
OP
dustytrails123

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How many ace users can you find on tnet that found over 100 silver in 2011?

Real world results is what speaks the loudest.

and thats with and old garrett ace...

LuckyLarry

Dec 16, 2005
Sweet Home, Oregon
Detector(s) used
I had to sideline for awhile, too much quarreling, brand defensiveness, and seeing certain people waging war on others. It got to be too silly for me after awhile..
Primary Interest:
Other
Actually Montana, when I worked in metal detector R&D we found that air tests in fact (do) give us a window into how the detectors will behave in the ground. It's a little difficult to consistently test metal detectors in undisturbed soil all the time because when the soil is disturbed the entire magnetically aligned soil strata changes configuration as to whether the flux lines are still continual, since they are not. We can't do the same undisturbed soil test a second time because it all gets ruined as soon as we dig something up. We can however, use a same-type (Fe) mineral sample along with the air test to very closely mimic the in-soil test - as if it were still in the same soil matrix, the ground. However, the air tests do supply us with a good and sufficient media and data to make our detector (capability) determinations.

LL

Last edited:

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My friends and I don't dig clad at all. The only clad we will dig are quarters because every couple of hunts they turn into nice silver rings. Dimes / Nickels / Pennies, we all ignore and leave behind.

I'd like to hunt behind you guys.... Basically means I would be getting the silver dimes and small silver rings..... gold bands..... half dimes... etc.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd like to hunt behind you guys.... Basically means I would be getting the silver dimes and small silver rings..... gold bands..... half dimes... etc.

You can search behind me for tiny silver rings and gold bands all you like. I don't dig those signals. I don't hide it. The Explorer is just not the best machine for digging gold if that is what you are looking for.

As for half dimes, good luck. You won't find any behind me. 1920s parks don't yield too many half dimes.

As for silver dimes, is this a joke? The only reason I detect is FOR the old silver coins. Sure, I'll let you have and 2" deep silver rosies behind me if there are any of those at all. A clad dime and a silver dime sound VERY different on an explorer and the difference is obvious.

But, you are more than welcome to head up here to the midwest and hunt behind me. It's a challenge I would accept any day of the week.

montanagold

Apr 20, 2008
Montana
Detector(s) used
Curently the AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Baz 100 silver in a year would be great, Oh wait I do it all the time. How many seated coins do you have from Jan to now, Oh wait we have 10 How many trade tokens? oh we have 6 1 of which I sold for 1500.00 V nicks we have 6 Buffs 12 wheats 50 or so, oh and an 1874 federal sword plate. Point is its not quantity its quality and for montana that is great. So it seems that the garrets are just as capable as any minelab. huh

Larry I didnt say that air testing wasnt good for some testing but as far as iron masking it is pointless in my eyes because if leaching and soil conditions I have pulled out so many coins this year that I have litterly had to remove 2 or 3 rusty nails before I found the coin, and thats with a Garrett.

The point is fellas that most machines are capable and in good hands will find coins. I happen to be a fan of the at pro right now but still love the FBS detector. I havent used the fisher in some time so I cant attest to that but my buddy Michael B has many hours with the F75 and he does very well with that. I could go behind any minelab user and pick out coins and any minelab user could go behind me and pick up coins, thats why we continue to go back to hunted sites right? it would be boreing if we got everything.

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I dont see it as a challenge... Im just saying. It would appear you and your group are silver cherry pickers.... which is fine.

I however am a person that detects for coins, jewelry and relics. Yes, I do spend a lot of time digging trash... but finding tokens, thimbles and buttons are just as much of a delight to me as hitting a nice silver. Digging up that nickel signal to pop out a gold ring makes my week.... digging up a solid foil signal to pull out a gold ear ring does too.

On the nature of the topic... ballfields. I love hunting them.... over and over even. While I will typically only pull out 3 or 4 silver dimes or so... EVERY ball field I have hunted except for one has provided me with at least one ring... and other jewelry items. I have real good luck around the baselines... and the area by the dugout entrances. I have found one ring in the outfield as well though.... so I hunt it all.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Baz 100 silver in a year would be great, Oh wait I do it all the time. How many seated coins do you have from Jan to now, Oh wait we have 10 How many trade tokens? oh we have 6 1 of which I sold for 1500.00 V nicks we have 6 Buffs 12 wheats 50 or so, oh and an 1874 federal sword plate. Point is its not quantity its quality and for montana that is great. So it seems that the garrets are just as capable as any minelab. huh

I have hunted 5 times this year. All park hunting and 2 small yards mixed in. Here are my totals:

84 wheats
4 buffalo nickels
1 v nickel
2 two cents
7 indian heads (1 fatty)
3 tokens
2 1882 dog tags
2 war nickels
3 rosies
2 barber dimes
15 mercs
1 sterling ring
3 washingtons
1 walker
that makes 27 pieces of silver so far this year

As far as seated coins go, I've only ever found one in our 1920s parks (and around 20-25 total over the years). You couldn't equal my quantity of finds with a garrett in the same sites as me. It wouldn't even be close. I've found greater quantity in fewer hunts than a GROUP of guys getting permission to hunt spots based on the promise of being on tv. In private spots that haven't been killed, most modern machines will be acceptable. But in spots that have been heavily hunted, you need a better machine.

And my friend has more silver than me, he is up over 30 this year. My other hunting bud has somewhere between 25-30 silver so far this year. The next closest guy in the club has around 15-20 (another explorer user) and an etrac guy has around 10 or so. The ace users, I can think of one silver ring being found so far. The Whites users, I honestly can't think of any silver that they have posted. My friend with an f70 has around 5 pieces or so.

If you are ever in Indiana, let me know. I will happily show you and your friends up hunting turf. (not fields, I can admit there are better machines than the explorer and e-trac for fields)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread