1914 ballfield

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all im new to the site and detecting.. I picked up a ace 350 acouple weeks ago and a nels big coil after researching my 11 acres property and finding out it was a ball park in 1914ish ....and 3 weeks in ive maybe found 7 bucks in clad and 0 wheet's or silver... ive checked 4 other parks in the area and havent had much luck i guess more people around with detectors then i thought at first...and suggestions any help would be great

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's hard to direct someone when you have no clue as to where they are geographically. :laughing7:

You may be in Seattle WA and I'm telling you to look for a Civil War battlefield :tongue3: It all depends on what you are looking to hunt to begin with. Then everyone will tell you to research your area for additional options. A quick piece of advice, always look to see where the most people congregated outdoors, that is the best start. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
dustytrails123

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im in wisconsin...was out for a late hunt last night till after midnight maybe 3 hours total got 3 clad pennies and 1 clad dime some cow teeth and fence material was digging alot of iffy signals hoping to remove some of the junk around the field since its my yard maybe i can free some coins that have been missed by someone else...im pretty sure someone has been here with a detector before i have ...or them cow teeth could tell me the coins could be deep it shows a cattle pen on an old map of my property by the rail road tracks but i found fence and those teeth close to first base so they may have roamed at 1 time or they may have move some dirt around ... i found a 67 clad dime at 9 inches but most are 6 inches or less

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if you don't find anything in those pastures, you can always do some cow tipping :laughing7:

OP
OP
dustytrails123

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
..hes a pro

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all im new to the site and detecting.. I picked up a ace 350 acouple weeks ago and a nels big coil after researching my 11 acres property and finding out it was a ball park in 1914ish ....and 3 weeks in ive maybe found 7 bucks in clad and 0 wheet's or silver... ive checked 4 other parks in the area and havent had much luck i guess more people around with detectors then i thought at first...and suggestions any help would be great
Youron the right track ...just keep researching & you will find silver.....It doesnt hurt to have many more sites to search!

OP
OP
dustytrails123

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What machine are you using?

Im using the ace 350 and dd coil that came with it ...i have the sniper and nel big 15x17 but i havent used it much yet

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im using the ace 350 and dd coil that came with it ...i have the sniper and nel big 15x17 but i havent used it much yet

Maybe a better machine would make your life easier if old coins is your goal. When hunting next to ace 250/350/at pro users, for every wheat penny they find, I get about 10 old coins, be it wheats, silver, indians, etc.

OP
OP
dustytrails123

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i hunt with a guy that uses a minelab e-trac i think it is ...anyway he isnt too great with it i guess ive yet to see him dig anything other then pop cans and rust relics he calls them ...im pretty sure its just him not knowing his machine theres too many settings on that thing for me to understand ive only been detecting about 4 weeks but i found a mens silver ring today and broke my silver streak...and i must have about 15 bucks in clad but maybe your right i dont find many old coins with my detector maybe its for a reason what would be a good upgrade that i could use easily and not have too many settings i wouldnt know what to do with like that etrac ?

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i hunt with a guy that uses a minelab e-trac i think it is ...anyway he isnt too great with it i guess ive yet to see him dig anything other then pop cans and rust relics he calls them ...im pretty sure its just him not knowing his machine theres too many settings on that thing for me to understand ive only been detecting about 4 weeks but i found a mens silver ring today and broke my silver streak...and i must have about 15 bucks in clad but maybe your right i dont find many old coins with my detector maybe its for a reason what would be a good upgrade that i could use easily and not have too many settings i wouldnt know what to do with like that etrac ?

I use an Explorer and hunt with several guys that use E-tracs. They couldn't detect their way out of a paper bag to be honest.

There are like 4 or 5 settings you set when you get the machine and then you just learn to dig deeper targets that have a high tone. Eventually you can tell people exactly what kind of coin they are going to dig at 6-10" deep. They can be picked up used in the $400-500 range.

I'm still not sold on the etrac. Like you said, I know guys that just find pop cans and pure garbage with theirs. But they are the same people that I think would be lost with ANY machine. Some people just aren't good at detecting, period, haha.

montanagold

Apr 20, 2008
Montana
Detector(s) used
Curently the AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dusty, The 350 should do you well. Dont listen to people who say that they pick up stuff that you miss because of a machine. Its simply not true. I have used the SE, the Etrac the fisher and the AT pro and think they are all capable. Truth is that I have found many things that were missed with the SE when I went back with the AT pro. The SE is deep but slow. If you slow down with the 350 and listen for faint signals you will pick up a ton of stuff, and dig every repeatable signal, thats the key with the 350 and the AT pro. I have dug so many good coins where I pulled out 4 or 5 nails with it. Machines are like cars each one is differant and offers differant features. Ford Chev Dodge it doesent matter as long as you get to know your machine. HH

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dusty, The 350 should do you well. Dont listen to people who say that they pick up stuff that you miss because of a machine. Its simply not true. I have used the SE, the Etrac the fisher and the AT pro and think they are all capable. Truth is that I have found many things that were missed with the SE when I went back with the AT pro. The SE is deep but slow. If you slow down with the 350 and listen for faint signals you will pick up a ton of stuff, and dig every repeatable signal, thats the key with the 350 and the AT pro. I have dug so many good coins where I pulled out 4 or 5 nails with it. Machines are like cars each one is differant and offers differant features. Ford Chev Dodge it doesent matter as long as you get to know your machine. HH

How does one quantify "faintness" on a 350? A bong is a bong, a ding is a ding.

JmCraz8

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2011
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Currently using: XP DEUS, T2 SE and the Garret Carrot lol
Have used: Garret Ace 250, Garret AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Are you in Milwaukee, WI?

OP
OP
dustytrails123

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no im about 3 hours from there

montanagold

Apr 20, 2008
Montana
Detector(s) used
Curently the AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The same way you do with the SE, listen for the mixed signals that are repeatable, the DD on the garret make it deadly for sure the depth is great on the SE and is depper than the Garrett but I would say that its not that much deeper. All last year I hunted with my SE and tried to hit targets that I thought the AT pro couldnt hit but to no avail my buddy was able to pick them all up.

How does one quantify "faintness" on a 350? A bong is a bong, a ding is a ding.

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im in wisconsin...was out for a late hunt last night till after midnight maybe 3 hours total got 3 clad pennies and 1 clad dime some cow teeth and fence material was digging alot of iffy signals hoping to remove some of the junk around the field since its my yard maybe i can free some coins that have been missed by someone else...im pretty sure someone has been here with a detector before i have ...or them cow teeth could tell me the coins could be deep it shows a cattle pen on an old map of my property by the rail road tracks but i found fence and those teeth close to first base so they may have roamed at 1 time or they may have move some dirt around ... i found a 67 clad dime at 9 inches but most are 6 inches or less

Then it's just a matter of getting your coil over silver. There are probably more coins found at less than 6" than there are found deeper than that.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The same way you do with the SE, listen for the mixed signals that are repeatable, the DD on the garret make it deadly for sure the depth is great on the SE and is depper than the Garrett but I would say that its not that much deeper. All last year I hunted with my SE and tried to hit targets that I thought the AT pro couldnt hit but to no avail my buddy was able to pick them all up.

A repeatable signal does not equal a faint signal. You just changed your argument there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread