Do you own a Nook tablet?

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Did not want to start a new thread. Does anyone know if the new TreasureNet tablet app will work on the Nook? From what I read I don't think so but I'm rather computer/tablet challenged so I figured I would confirm.

Thanks
NJ

For Christmas my wife purchased me a Nook tablet which is made by Barnes and Noble. She also purchased a couple of digital metal detecting books for me. I've read them both then noticed a label across the front page that read 'Lend Me'. Apparently if you add people to your Nook Friends list they can borrow some of the books you have purchased.

So if you have a Nook and would like to borrow any books from me for free just PM your name and email address then I will send you an invite to join my Nook Friends list. I've never done this before so I'm not sure exactly how it will work but I figured it could save some fellow T-Netters a few bucks that they many have spent on the books themselves.

Happy Reading and Hunting.

NJ

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For Christmas my wife purchased me a Nook tablet which is made by Barnes and Noble. She also purchased a couple of digital metal detecting books for me. I've read them both then noticed a label across the front page that read 'Lend Me'. Apparently if you add people to your Nook Friends list they can borrow some of the books you have purchased.

So if you have a Nook and would like to borrow any books from me for free just PM your name and email address then I will send you an invite to join my Nook Friends list. I've never done this before so I'm not sure exactly how it will work but I figured it could save some fellow T-Netters a few bucks that they many have spent on the books themselves.

Happy Reading and Hunting.

NJ
N.J.Ther, I have a Nook Color. My first Nook BIT THE DUST so I had to buy another. I stepped up to the Nook Color. Great machine! It is my belief, though I have never used it, that the "lend me" funtion only sends SOME of the book. Then you must buy the whole thing. Like I said, I have never used that funtion yet. I'll PM you to do the test. TTC

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope, I'll remain old fashioned as I like to turn pages :laughing7: There is nothing close to the feeling of holding a book in your hand :icon_thumright:

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Nook color as well. Or should I say I bought one for my wife and I use it more ..... I hacked it and turned it into an android tablet. Now you can add apps and such like a smart phone. I would be interested in checking out the books. Never shared a book either? My email is [email protected] I think my wifes email may be on the Nook though? Have to check.

Brian

auferret

Sep 25, 2007
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sunray DX-1
Falcon MD20
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is my belief, though I have never used it, that the "lend me" funtion only sends SOME of the book. Then you must buy the whole thing. Like I said, I have never used that funtion yet. I'll PM you to do the test. TTC

My wife and daughter loan books back and forth. You get the whole book but you only have it for a few weeks and then it gets returned. I forget what the exact time period is.

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My wife and daughter loan books back and forth. You get the whole book but you only have it for a few weeks and then it gets returned. I forget what the exact time period is.

That's ok, I'm a quick reader.

Thanks again N.J. THer

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Okay guys...I'm at work now but will send invites out tonight then borrow away. I have three little ones so I also have a few children's books if anyone is interested. The Nook is a good babysitter an hour plus into dinner out and the waiter/waitress is in no rush to get us out quickly. My kids are good but there is a limit.

NJ

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a Nook color as well. Or should I say I bought one for my wife and I use it more ..... I hacked it and turned it into an android tablet. Now you can add apps and such like a smart phone. I would be interested in checking out the books. Never shared a book either? My email is [email protected] I think my wifes email may be on the Nook though? Have to check.

Brian

Brian - I've had situations like that before with the wife. Although this time she got me the Nook and I got her the Kindle Fire...neither of us had a clue what the other one was getting. One day I'm going to have to figure out how to crack the Nook Tablet since I want to be able to get apps from the Amazon app store. When I do it now they don't work.

NJ

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope, I'll remain old fashioned as I like to turn pages :laughing7: There is nothing close to the feeling of holding a book in your hand :icon_thumright:

Agreed but with my lifestyle sometimes the tablet is just easier. I usually have a book on DVD going in the car and/or on the computer at work, a book on the tablet and two books in progress on the nightstand but still don't have as much time to read as I would like.

NJ

auferret

Sep 25, 2007
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Sunray DX-1
Falcon MD20
Garrett Seahunter Mark II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The nook color was a whole lot easier to mod than the tablet. I was able to mod my wife's tablet but then she allowed it to update so right now, it only does b&n stuff. I have not been there in a while but there are folks over at xda continually working on it.
Barnes & Noble Nook Tablet - xda-developers

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brian - I've had situations like that before with the wife. Although this time she got me the Nook and I got her the Kindle Fire...neither of us had a clue what the other one was getting. One day I'm going to have to figure out how to crack the Nook Tablet since I want to be able to get apps from the Amazon app store. When I do it now they don't work.

NJ

I sent you a PM with a link on the Nook Color SD chip that I bought that is already programmed to convert it. My Nook Color has been updated and it still works.

Not sure if it works for the Nook Tablet but I'm sure you could contact the guy and find out.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sent out three invites last night so you should have them in your email inbox.

We will see how this works.

NJ

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent out three invites last night so you should have them in your email inbox.

We will see how this works.

NJ

I got your friend request and accepted it.
I went on my computer to my account on B&N and I put in a borrow request for your book "Beach Detecting In Surf & Sand: 270 Tips to Improve Your metal Detecting Along the Treasure Line
by Jay Schofield "

I think you have to go online on your computer and sign in or use your Nook and approve the pending request.

From my computer it looks like you sign on B&N then go to "My Nook" then "My Friends" then "Lend Me" then "Pending Requests", then click approve.

Thanks again,
Ace350

Last edited:

baspinall

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2006
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure I am doing this right. I accepted the friend invite the hit the "borrow" button. Does this just send a request to you?

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other

Just falling behind on my technology; did not know what a "Nook" is; something about a book;
reading a book beats a lot of things.
Lots and lots of books packed up in the attic, some day will read again;
books I really like are all over the house and I will see them again. :coffee2::read2:

Don't want to sit looking at a screen.

have a good un...
SHERMANVILLE

Last edited:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
N.J. Ther, I am new to the Nook Color rig. I found the place to insert the SD. Neat! I also found I can use the charger cord (pull off the charger wall piece to find a usb plug) to plug the rig into my computer. It shows up as a removable device. Transfering and deleting files is MUCH easier than using the Nook screen! Tnx for sarting the thread! TTC

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
N.J. Ther, I am new to the Nook Color rig. I found the place to insert the SD. Neat! I also found I can use the charger cord (pull off the charger wall piece to find a usb plug) to plug the rig into my computer. It shows up as a removable device. Transfering and deleting files is MUCH easier than using the Nook screen! Tnx for sarting the thread! TTC

No problem...I did send you an invite on Nook Friends which once you accept it you can borrow books from me. I've already lent out two and borrowed one from people on T-Net.

NJ

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like from what I read on the Nook site you can only loan out a book once.

This is from the "Frequently Asked Questions" section:

11. Can I lend NOOK Books to a friend with my NOOK Color?
Yes, you can lend eligible books to NOOK friends, or any BN.com account - up to 14 days. You will not have access to your book while it is lent out (similar experience with paper book), and each book can only be lent one time. You can view a list of all your lendable books by tapping LendMe, found under the My Stuff icon along the top of the screen in your Library.

Here is the website page it is on:
NOOK Color™ - Frequently Asked Questions, FAQs - Barnes*&*Noble

Hey, N.J.THer did you like the Hemmingway book?

Last edited:
OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey, N.J.THer did you like the Hemmingway book?

I did..it made me laugh out loud a few times. I would never recommend it to the wife but it was a good tongue in cheek book. I place Hemmingway and Theodore Roosevelt in the same camp and love them both. After reading this I will most likely read a few Hemminway books I have not read in a long time with the Hills on Africa on the top of that list.

NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread