My spot in the woods??

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been posting some pics lately from the same section of woods I've been hunting for a week or two. The newest coin I have found in the was a 1935 Wheat Penny. The oldest was an 1888 Indian Head. My question is how come all the coins I have found there have only been 3 inches at the deepest? With all the leaf litter there I would expect them to be even deeper than usual. Any ideas? The 1920 Buffalo nickel and the 1891 V nickel were only about an inch deep.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey CM, I know from experience as a volunteer firefighter in a rural area that a controlled (or other) burn will take that dead vegetation right down to the soil every time. Throw in some rain erosion and you have some shallow dirt for digging, which isn't necessarily a bad thing! Happy Hunting, Sub

OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
That's possible, only this is in a remote area and I know it hasn't been burned as far back as I can remember. They do controlled burns here for woodticks but only on the edges of the town. It's odd though because when I get a signal I have to kick the leaves from last year away and the coins are just under the surface...well take the foot of leaves I kick away and times them by 100 years you would think those would all break down into layers atop those coins. It must be something with the water table.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been in areas that have lots of roots that keep the coins from going too deep.

NJ

OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
That could be it because there are a ton of trees...huge ones too which I would imagine have huge root systems underground.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
The Lincoln cent at eight inches, the v nickle a one inch,
who knows exactly why things move up and down on
the forest floor; so many reasons why some go up
and others get deeper.

Don't think you can map it all out.

And that is what I think.:dontknow:

have a good un.......
SHERMANVILLE

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the frost will push them back up a little as well. Might find coins deeper in the fall and then a little shallower in early spring.

goen 4 gold

Apr 12, 2012
bellevue ohio
Detector(s) used
WHITES- dfx,dx1,d2 coil 4x6 shooter coil.....
beach hunter id 300, vibra probe pin pointer.....
GARRETT-ace 250

warren tweed pick,
GPAA pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im with shermanville, so much comes into play.

K Zack

Feb 2, 2012
West Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab- Explorer XS, Excalibur 800, Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Fisher 1280X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you might be missing a lot of coins in the place that you are hunting.
If the leaves are that deep you might not be getting the coil close enough to the ground to get the deep coins.
With the depth of the leaves plus the depth of the Snow that you get up there, I don't think frost would be a big issue.
I sounds like a very good area to hunt.
Good luck
Kevin

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In wooded areas, the soil makeup is different. Especially in MI wooded areas. The decaying leaves and plant matter form a more firm soil than a grassy area, and the lack of growing grass as opposed to dead plant matter makes rain and gravity the primary driving forces in the sinking of coins.
The coin finds will sit on the dead leaves for longer than they would constantly renewing "lawn grass"

Keep hitting her, Broseph!

OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you might be missing a lot of coins in the place that you are hunting.
If the leaves are that deep you might not be getting the coil close enough to the ground to get the deep coins.
With the depth of the leaves plus the depth of the Snow that you get up there, I don't think frost would be a big issue.
I sounds like a very good area to hunt.
Good luck
Kevin

I'm sure I am missing coins but I can't do anything about the amount of leaves and tree branches everywhere. I wish I could.

OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
In wooded areas, the soil makeup is different. Especially in MI wooded areas. The decaying leaves and plant matter form a more firm soil than a grassy area, and the lack of growing grass as opposed to dead plant matter makes rain and gravity the primary driving forces in the sinking of coins.
The coin finds will sit on the dead leaves for longer than they would constantly renewing "lawn grass"

Keep hitting her, Broseph!

Sounds reasonable...I'll keep hitting it hard though.

smartmoney

Dec 4, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently found a one piece button right on top of the surface in the woods. I believe that in the woods, things sink normally as opposed to grass. It can take 500-1000 years for soil to form so if there is no "sinking" mechanism, then items found in the woods may be on the surface. No in the grass, the thatch around the roots forms every year creating layer afer layer pushing items deeper each year

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Weird ain't it? My deepest coin find in the woods was like maybe 5 inches. Found an 1808 1/2 reale and 1797 1/2 cent at less than two inches in the woods. Ya gotta love it!

-Swartzie

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good question...I only hunt one spot and it is in the woods. I have found the deepest soil to be in low spots or depressions in the hillside...I have often wondered why, but I think leaves and debris get wind blown and trapped in the areas. Another place where leaves get trapped are around trees or stumps. New trees can push artifacts up out of the ground or trap them under roots. So I suggest a low spot in the woods could be a natural trap with deeper soil than the (crown) of the hill that gets windswept. I use a privy probe to determine soil dept if I'm not sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread