Well it finally happened today.

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In 20 years of detecting,I have only been denied permission 3 or 4 times.

I went to a residence in the country, right next door to where I wanted to dig. Assuming the people who lived there knew who owned the property.
I was right,they owned the property next door. The following is the conversation:

Me: "Well, I would like to know if you would allow me to metal detect on your property."
Guy: "Hell no,you can't,I seen what you people do on TV, ain't no way."

I am so PISSED I can't SEE STRAIGHT.

That fat, loudmouthed,washed up SLOB Ric Sausage is making an "impression" all right.
:angry4::angry4::cussing::angry9:

Last edited:

jrpoppapump

May 23, 2004
north eastern new mexico
Detector(s) used
garrett ace 250, white's dfx 300, garrett pro pointer (R.I.P. to my Garrett gta 500)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and some here said it wouldn't happen........lol. i was metal detecting a local park and some little kid asked if i was looking for car parts.....go figure

OP
OP
Diggit

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
and some here said it wouldn't happen........lol. i was metal detecting a local park and some little kid asked if i was looking for car parts.....go figure
You mean like the 200.00 brake pedal? That was the SECOND (and last) episode I watched,and I was even more disgusted than I was about the first. That was it for me.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggit, I hate to say this, but accepting that reply is where 'you' lost the battle. That was your opportunity to briefly explain the hobby and how it is properly done. You should have asked the guy if he plays golf, then let him know you have even a higher degree of ethics. :laughing7: Invite him along for a trial and even give him a spot example and see if this sways him.

Never lose your focus of the conversation, that is the best advise I can offer. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Diggit

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Diggit, I hate to say this, but accepting that reply is where 'you' lost the battle. That was your opportunity to briefly explain the hobby and how it is properly done. You should have asked the guy if he plays golf, then let him know you have even a higher degree of ethics. :laughing7: Invite him along for a trial and even give him a spot example and see if this sways him.

Never lose your focus of the conversation, that is the best advise I can offer. :thumbsup:

I TRIED! I started to tell him that we didn't do it like the people on TV, and I even told him that I don't dig "holes".
I offered to show him how I did it.

He closed the door in my face.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I have news for you: I've been at this for 35 yrs. Used to do a LOT of yards back in the late '70s and all through the '80s. Believe it or not, I/we received a lot of "no's" back then too. When people want to say "no", they're going to subconsciously reach for "any reason" to justify the "no". Just like when you test drive a used car, with very little intention of actually buying, you're going to do this when you return the car keys to the salesman: "Nah, the ride is to soft, or too hard, or the steering feels funny", .... or .... fill in the blank. It's human nature to accompany a "no" with some sort of justification, even if you really didn't give it thought before. The reality is, you were going to get a "no" from that person even before they saw the TV show, I bet.

I know you won't believe this, and you'll say he loved md'rs till he saw the show, but trust me: "No's" got passed out 30+ yrs. ago, and sure, even then, it was "always something".

I TRIED! I started to tell him that we didn't do it like the people on TV, and I even told him that I don't dig "holes".
I offered to show him how I did it.

He closed the door in my face.

CousinEddie

Mar 22, 2012
Cark and Ellen's
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Vaquero, 31" Lesche Ball Handle Sampson Shovel, Lesche Tool, Garrett PP, Ultimate Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I live in the country and people around my way are SUPER private/paranoid. When I get a "yes" I am surprised, haha!! I've had a few mention the show, but mostly they are saying "no" to say "no".

I had a funny thing happen the other day. I have been working a borough field near me for a few weeks now. I have permission from the guy who takes care of the borough feild. I go there when NO ONE is there as I like to be alone and kids tend to want to dig and ask questions when they see me digging. I went to the borough hall to see if I could hunt around the borough hall and the lady said she'll ask at the next council meeting. When I went back to see what the verdict was I was told not only couldn't I dig borough hall but I had to STOP diggin at the feild!! The guy who gave me permission is ON THE COUNCIL, hahaha!! He said it was cool and that I'm just one guy and I don't come around when people are there or mess up the field. The still said no...just to be jerks. They out voted him. The council members are friends with my in laws and my in laws are pissed, haha!!

I'm starting to think that asking can sometimes work against ya'... Unfortunately, I feel it's best to ask to avoid problems.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can see people being like that no tress passing signs every place around here and people are very weird about letting you on property...i even have friends that talked to there own family and got turned down so dont take it personal i think every yes you get is a blessing because its much easier to just say no

CousinEddie

Mar 22, 2012
Cark and Ellen's
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Tesoro Vaquero, 31" Lesche Ball Handle Sampson Shovel, Lesche Tool, Garrett PP, Ultimate Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I never take it personally, haha!! Simply because if they knew what a great guy I am, they would have invited me to dig alrready, haha!! J/k... I don't take it personally.

goen 4 gold

Apr 12, 2012
bellevue ohio
Detector(s) used
WHITES- dfx,dx1,d2 coil 4x6 shooter coil.....
beach hunter id 300, vibra probe pin pointer.....
GARRETT-ace 250

warren tweed pick,
GPAA pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hell, you should have offered him 20%! boom baby!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread