mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a Whites DFX and when ever I charge up the battery to go out detcting and I have hunted for a couple of hours the battery will say like 9.7 when I put it away. So a couple of days later I get it out and now the battery says 6.4 is there something wrong with the battery or is there something wrong with the detector. Or am I surpose to keep the battery on the charger all the time. Any and all help is appricated.......Matt

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The battery is on its way out. There's a few detectors like one of the Fisher CZ's that drain the batteries whilst the detector is not in use but yours is not like this. I would have thought that with a good battery the voltage would only drop that much over several weeks.

khpony

May 29, 2006
Rociada, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, AM Recon Sluice, Technetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
If you have a battery checker then I'd pull the batteries out when done, check them, then recheck them in a couple of days. If they are holding a charge then the detector is slowly draining them. That's for standard batteries. If they're recharbles then I don't know.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know what kind of battery you use in your machine but i know lithium ion has a discharge rate of about 10 % a month if not used so acouple days wouldnt have much effect on that id guess you might find some help on this page about lithium if thats what your using Infolithium Batteries

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He mentions a charger so I would guess its the standard slide in Ni Cad pack that Whites supply with the detector. Trouble with battery testers for anything is they just don't work well as in most cases they don't put the load on the battery that the detector in use does.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He mentions a charger so I would guess its the standard slide in Ni Cad pack that Whites supply with the detector. Trouble with battery testers for anything is they just don't work well as in most cases they don't put the load on the battery that the detector in use does.
I'm wondering if he keeps his headphones attached to the machine whilst not in use, this could drain the battery some to.

SS

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've heard that mentioned once before but two of the major companies designers said there's no way it can happen (though who knows with some of the weird designs coming out from the East). The pin design that Whites use with all the slide in packs could cause trouble as people tend to let the battery pack slide down which does bend the pins back causing a degree of arcing but that can be spotted by checking for pitting on the battery holder terminals.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread