Rare find I chose not to post.

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Whites / Prism II/Prism IV/V3i /Surf master II
I found this last year and chose not to post it . I am pretty sure I have in my posseion the best half dime in this condition please tell me your oppinion. there were only about a million minted if I remember right. 290.JPG 289.JPG

OP
OP
underdogger

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
I guess my question is the 2012 "value of a perfect coin" or lets say a ms 65/1830 half dime is worth less than 800 dollars.How can that be? I took it to a dealer not sell it, however I told him I thought it was worth much more. to make a long story short I do not sell my coins as a rule. First off it doesn't seem possible that my coin which I feel is at least ms60, can be worth only 500 to 800 dollars. Million in circ, million and a quarter. all features on tail side are near perfect. eplurbus unum is bold and there is not a scratch on the tail side .The front has a small bag mark on the cheek. The dealer said the best he could do was 125 dollars . I laughed at him and told him that I must have a top 1000 coin of that date . he said regardless that would be genorous offer . BS. I cannot ever sell a coin but why are 200 yr old coins so under valued?

captaindoug

May 1, 2011
No matter the item, it is only worth what someone else is willing to pay for it. In the car biz people are always saying "but, the book says it's worth this" Then sell it to the guy that wrote the book.

l.cutler

Silver Member
Dec 2, 2006
NEPA
Detector(s) used
Tejon, Cibola, T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually that was a very fair offer from a dealer. While it is a very nice coin, it is not any higher in grade than EF which retails for under $200. While the pictures are not the greatest, there is definite wear on the hair on the obverse and the high points of the wings on the reverse. Half dimes are not heavily collected, which keeps the cost down even for such a historic and beautiful coin.

OP
OP
underdogger

underdogger

Sep 24, 2009
Syracuse n.y
Detector(s) used
Thanks for the feedback. I guess that is why I never sell coins. I feel all coins are a work of art. I mean how often do you see an eagle with a chicken neck. I guess some day in my life time I may see where these gain value .For now I guess I just keep collecting these old Rembrants. Maybe some day there will be a market. HH ROB

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Im thinking no matter what people tell you, you will always think its priceless, and worth more. So I say this IT'S WORTH MILLIONS. It's right up there with the 1804 Dollar and 1933 Double Eagle.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the feedback. I guess that is why I never sell coins. I feel all coins are a work of art. I mean how often do you see an eagle with a chicken neck. I guess some day in my life time I may see where these gain value .For now I guess I just keep collecting these old Rembrants. Maybe some day there will be a market. HH ROB

Sounds to me like you don't understand the coin market. Recommend you don't worry about it and just keep detecting and digging those coins - because you enjoy it.

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

True, they are a work of art. But a million dollar painting is worth that because there is only one. A mass produced copy of that painting is worth very little. There were over a million copies of your coin, and if you expand that to include all coins from the mid 1800's we're talking hundreds of millions. So just because it's old and beautiful doesn't necessarily mean its worth a lot. Still a nice coin, and is worth whatever a collector will pay, it just has lots of competition.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread