YEEEEEE - HAW, permission granted !!!!!!

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
I have been researching an unmapped ghost-town for over a month now, the final tumbler in the lock JUST fell. At long last, I have landowner permission to hunt my first BIG site. I will probably be looking for advice here and there, so any given is appreciated. I have a school, church, post office, trading post, and general store to dig around, I am absolutely STOKED !!!!!! Kudos on the advice I've already recieved from dern near everyone. I'll put up a post very soon !!

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent!! Looks like all your time and research payed off on a very good site to hunt - take all the time in the world to do it right and post all of the phenomenal finds that you're certain to find!!

OP
OP
gold fish

gold fish

Bronze Member
Sep 21, 2006
N.W.A.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro - Cortez Minelab SE
Back to the books, I couldn't find a foundation :'(. I know I'm in the right general area, but nailing down a town that's been abandoned for 125 years isn't proving easy.

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what you mean. Try finding 125 year camp site on 80 acres of farm land. :'(

Burdie

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Let me know how I can help. I love those old ghost towns and especially Wisconsin ones. Maybe I can be of assistance. Good Luck.

lou423

Dec 14, 2005
S.W. Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Tesoro. Minelab. Fisher.
Wait until the cold weather kills the weeds, then you will be able to find
your lost town...Good luck

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you try Google earth? May be some help to you. You could invite Gypsy over, she's really good with this hobby! HH, Mike

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
There won't always be foundations. A lot of really old homes were built on piles of stones at the corners, not a full stone foundation. The stones tip over in time and get covered in leaves and dirt. You can usually find something indicating a home site though, old fence line, barb wire buried deep into trees, tin roofing, a depression in the earth that is out of place, things like that.

T

TreasureTales

Whenever I can't find a visual reference for a starting point, I use my detector. I put it into all-metals mode and just start swinging. When I find lots of iron, I know I've found the site of something...blacksmith shop, barn, something where iron would be common. Then I know I'm in the right general area (of previously-existing structures). Just go for it...start swinging that detector and see what happens.

Good luck, and keep us up-to-date, please.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
goldfish, you might ask the landowner. They generally know if there's a trashy area in their field.
A few things to look for: if it's a plowed field or somewhat barren, look towards the sun for reflections of broken glass. If there's a ravine, look along it for trash dumps. If it's grass pasture, the owner may have remembered old boards here and there or larger rocks. Look for circular depressions, possible outhouse holes filled in. Not knowing the land layout, remember that towns needed nearby water. Also look for old parellel ruts indicating a wagon trail or road, the most heavily one was probably the main street.
In the meantime, good luck and HH!

Kale1

Nov 2, 2006
That's Great. If you need help try having a seance and ask some of the Ghost there to help you out lol.Just thought I would help you out on this one. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread