Sell...or keep rings

brian11

May 12, 2009
San Francisco Bay area
Detector(s) used
DFX
I am wondering what others do with your valuable finds. Do you sell the gold and and platinum rings that you find, or keep them? I have been detecting for about 4 years, and have never sold anything. About a year ago, I went to a couple of places to see what I could get for the rings. I was hearing about $250 - $350 for a gold ring, and about $400 for the one platinum ring I have. I did not sell any. I have kept them with coins and other good finds as "trophys". Now I'm thinking of selling. I am curious....what is the general concensus out there? Do you keep your rings or sell them?
rings.jpg

Okie115

Apr 15, 2012
Virginia Beach, VA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would say if you need the money to buy a new toy sell. If not gold is still on the rise just hold off until you need it.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you decide to sell........"DON'T SELL LOCALLY!".....instead, do as Old Man says, knock out any valuable stones and ship them to a refinery. I use Midwest out of Michigan. Last i heard they were still paying 95% of melt value of spot on the day they get it. They have always treated me pretty fairly and the turnaround is usually about a week.

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off dont stop at the local jewelery shop they will give you a fraction of the price..... just scale it and list it on ebay and it will be gone the last platinum my brother sold was a womens and was pretty small but had almost a 700 dollar scrap value .... myself i only keep the silver since the price isnt that great

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep selling when gold is up and hoard when its down. By missing out the middlemen in the high street you can more than double what your paid. I don't really see the point of keeping wedding bands or damaged gold unless you think prices are going to collapse in the future. I remenber gold stayed low for years and years. I could have had the money invested earning some interest and as Oakie says putting the money back into the hobby in the form of a better detector could really pay off especially if there's lots of competition on your beaches (I had nine on my nearest beach yesterday by eight in the morning).

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far I've kept mine but now I'm considering selling a few to buy another detector!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I never keep any thing i sell every thing ...I don't need trophy's.... and i am not a collector of any thing..... I don't wait for things to go up or down i just sell..... And move on to the next find........

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I treat my rings as my mad money. If I want a new detector, etc., I send in some rings to pay for it. Sort of like a special event or special purchase account. :laughing7:

ridgecrawler

Jan 20, 2011
East central Ohio
Detector(s) used
ATPRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello Brian, keep them if you can, if you do decide to sell them stay away from pawn shops, jewellers, and the cash for gold stores. Google ARAgold,they pay 98% of the gold value and will return your stones. They pay 90% on silver. I have sent silver to them several times and was treated fairly.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've kept and sold gold for years, but some special rings you remember and once they're sold, they're gone. Never sell to a jewelry store or cash for gold place as you will get pennies on the dollar. I sell my scrap gold to ARA though Midwest is couple miles from me. ARA pays 98% and returns stones. American Recycling ? Dallas, Texas :thumbsup:

treasure4pleasure

Apr 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
FIsher F2, Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think I will sell mine unless they fit :) whenever I find some that is. lol Gosh I can't imagine keeping everything if you had a lot. It'd be like an episode of Hoarders , only the metal detecting version. lol :laughing9:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread