COIL COVERS???

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lakemonster

Mar 20, 2011
Chandler Tx
Detector(s) used
White's VX3, Garrett AT PRO, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It doesnt affect performance. It does , however keep you from wearing that a epoxy out on the bottom of your coil. That is were the winding lives. Protect it!

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Coil covers are a good idea. Especially if you hunt rocky ground. They don't inhibit your depth at all.

My only advice is to check it frequently, especially in sandy areas, sand and dirt tend to work their way into the cracks sometimes.

Overall, a good idea to get one.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Use your coil cover! It does NOT affect the depth or operation at all! It will save your coil and keep your resale value high!

Attachments

• vvv 001.jpg
    vvv 001.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 223
OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the feedback guys i was on the fence about it just because i never hear anything bout them but now i know really appreciate it happy hunting

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use them - mainly because I always have (??) And, as Terry shows, the fear of chipping the epoxy is the primary reason.

I also remove them and rinse them out at least annually.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
The only reason i use them is for ..... when i want to sell my detector the coil still looks nice.... so i sell it faster and could be get more cash for the detector..when i do sell it...

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the heads up guys very informative

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If your using a garret the coil covers fit very tight and break easily taking them off so get some sand paper and sand the coil cover untill it fits better so you dont break it when you need to take it off to clean will save you from buying another 1 like i did lol ;-)

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
nice one lol i will keep that in mind thanks

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
There are three reasons to use a coil cover: to collect dirt, to add weight, and to keep your coil in yummy brand new pristine condition. That's it. That's the long and short of it. That's the whole nine yards. That's the whole kit and kaboodle. That's all she wrote. Coil covers are good for the rock bangers too. You need a coil cover when you go out and bang rocks with your coil, all willy nilly and such.

Last edited:

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some detectors (Garrett 2500) do seem to suffer much more from soil or black sand entering the cracks round the cover. In this case you could be better saving a little weight and painting on a protective coating instead.

Cover or not I always liked to get a car innertube and cut a rubber ring out of it and stretch it round the coil to prevent chipping. Coil covers are no longer cheap so you may as well protect them as well. Plus some detectors, especially P.I.'s, are not designed for covers and the windings are just sunk into a resin like material and this just doesn't seem to wear out even over many years but they can still suffer chipping if a sharp rock is hit.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
hand print-2_edited-3.jpg OK, here's the truth,"They are a pain in the as s!!" They collect dirt and moisture and through off your readings. You don't need them UNLESS you are the type that drags his valuable coil along on the ground or rocks etc. I don't use coil covers and my detectors are 10 years old and still using the same coils. I hold my detector coil app. one inch above the ground when I scan. I have found about everything you can find with a detector, so I don't miss the 1". Why handicap yourself with something extra you don't need.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
I think in some cases you can do more damage trying to take them off to clean them. Be carefully doing so.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread