Detecting at night, without permission does not help any of us. And fill your holes!

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excal II, At pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend called me this morning and said there is a rash of holes appearing in his neighborhood yards. In one hole he found a cigaret butt :BangHead:. Come on, now! Whoever it is comes in at night, digs it and then goes to the next one.

I have a few friends in the area, and most people there are easy to get along with and do not mind you detecting, as long as you are courteous, and considerate, and ASK FIRST. This incident made them call the police, and I can tell you it has closed quite a few doors to us too.

PLEASE, Seek permission! And be very careful if you don't, That neighborhood is not likely to put up with it now that they know!

Maybe we need a basic training for detecting section on TNET!

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
I can see this happening more and more because people watch this trash tv show called American digger show or what ever it's called. I guess when they dig up some rusted old tools and find out they won't get thousands of dollars for it they will find another way to make a buck.

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Opossum with a nicotine habbit?

That's pretty brazen to detect and dig up yards at night...Hope this isn't some new trend.....

OP
OP
Dave44

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah that really bums me out. I cannot imagine the audacity to dig up yards in the middle of the night,, going through that many yards!
My friend said that it really makes metal detectorists look bad, I told him there were some new shows on this that may contribute but they do not represent most of us at all. He feels they are thieves and seemed a little piqued. I hope we can repair some of the distrust in the area!

I hope I don't catch anyone walking around at night at my place!

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
tresspassing on private property at night can get you shot -- some folks might think your a home invasion / nighttime type burglar and shoot first and ask questions later.

Brian C.

Bronze Member
Jan 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
Whites and Garrett. I use several machines, the ace 350 is a nice machine. I have a 5900, 6000, whites.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Did you read the story about the guy detecting and getting shot with a shot gun. I think you night hunters might want to ask for permission.:laughing7:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The person could have been sleep walking.

Tell that to the guy with the shotgun.

I think ticm's right - it's the Diggers fallout. What's next from reality TV - a show about digging gold teeth from graves in the cemetery?

kayden

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Ace250,AT Pro & Garrett Propointer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a similar problem here in central Pa. in a ghost town we have been hunting. They dig large holes with a garden shovel about 10-16 inches deep & leave the hole there & the pile of dirt scattered.We have been filling all the holes we see. Its already been said if we catch the moron ...Hes going for a swim in the susquehana river!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have a similar problem here in central Pa. in a ghost town we have been hunting. They dig large holes with a garden shovel about 10-16 inches deep & leave the hole there & the pile of dirt scattered.We have been filling all the holes we see. Its already been said if we catch the moron ...Hes going for a swim in the susquehana river!
Forget the swim, bury him with his own shovel!

grave-digger.gif

JasonFleck

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It may not be a night time careless detectorist. It is entirely possible when hunting in town if you do not replace your plugs snuggly that a raccoon or possum will dig them up because they associate human scent with a potential food source. It may not explain a cigarette butt being in the plug but I have had it happen to me in the past.

OP
OP
Dave44

Dave44

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2006
Chesterfield, Va.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The owners of the properties were very surprised that there were holes in their yard and called the cops. The cig was a bonus.

toenail

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2012
kingsville, tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 250
Fisher LF960D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i wouldnt blame the show at all, i just got into metal detecting (possibly because of the show) around a week or two ago and just as a person i know to respect other people property and ask permission when wanting to detect, however after reading my local areas metal detectors group forum i now understand not all people think the way i do, people actually joke about getting caught while detecting on private property, as a metal detecting club i think one should know better than to do something like that, those that do not ask for permission, or leave holes just make other hobbyist look bad and are the real reasons why some cities are starting to ban metal detecting.. if you love this hobby do it right, be respectful..

i always fill my holes but its really hard to keep the filled holes looking neat if the dirt is extremely hard, however when the dirt is somewhat soft i cover it so good i can barely tell that a hole was created, that makes me feel just as awesome as if it found some treasure, sorta makes me feel like a badass/artist in this hobby

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread