Other

montanagold

Apr 20, 2008
Montana
Detector(s) used
Curently the AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A month ago I found a Montana teratorial token that I sold the next day for 1500.00 I have found a few tokens in the past that I have sold from the 2 to 3 hundred range but that was by far my most expensive find to date.

OP
OP
SOHIO

SOHIO

Bronze Member
Dec 6, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
nice...... I'm looking to get into detecting had a cheapy when i was a kid, found a lot of stuff with it though, but nothing real old or anything thanks for the reply i guess it was a kind of stupid question i'm sure its like I assume it to be you get what you put into it a little studying up on where to look and a lot of luck are probably the key factors. I wasn't inquiring to find out because i want to strike it rich i love to hunt for things but coming across big money items wouldn't hurt either and was just curious how often and what types of high dollar finds some tnetters come across .

montanagold

Apr 20, 2008
Montana
Detector(s) used
Curently the AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
For me its more about what cool thing will I find next that I havent found yet. This hobby for me anyway has mostly paid for itself except that I have changed machines a bunch of times but its the same with most hobbies it costs money but with this one you get a return. Hi dollar finds are rare but do happen but its mostly the accumulation of things found that make the difference.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I don't do it to make any money but my most valuable coin was probably an 1870 Indian Head.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
My most expensive coin find = the day I drove 70 miles round trip, to dig a wheatie, two zinc pennies and a clad quarter. And that's no fib.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

I've gotten some silver coins that I sold for in the neighborhood of $500 to $700-ish, on ebay (Low S mint dimes and such). And I have some gold coins that, although not sold so far, would fetch into $1500 to $2000-ish.

I have been looking at some coin prices lately and some are shocking. Makes me want to detect for a living. Are a lot of you finding 2 and 3 thousand or even more dollar coins very often. Whats your most expensive finds and how often does a hardcore detectorist find these expensive pieces.

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1861 gold dollar, (my avatar) sold for over 400$ I hated to let it go, but I needed the money. It's a shame it wasn't a "D" or it would have been around 35,000 in which case I'd have been laughing all the way to the bank, unless I had a heart attack finding it :tongue3:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread