Need a little help

ScottB

Tenderfoot
May 3, 2012
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer and Lesche digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, I am new to MDing and hoping someone can help me. I currently using a Garrett 250 and I am hunting an old railroad line that ran behind my home. The line was stripped back in the early 70's. The problem I am having is that I get a constant signal in the area my detector just goes crazy down there. The place is full of coal, railroad spikes and plates. What can be done to stop the constant detection I am getting. Different coil, lower the sensitivity? Hope someone can help. Thanks

montanagold

Apr 20, 2008
Montana
Detector(s) used
Curently the AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
railroad would be full of items so you would get a ton of nasty signals. a smaller coil would help.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes, a smaller coil and lowered sensitivity will help a lot. First, bump up your discrimination a touch above iron, and lower your sensitivity. Rake off and area say 10-feet x 10-feet, and just slowly grid that area, adjusting your sensitivity and discrimination as you go. Just slow down, rake off the first two-inches of overburden, and enjoy!

OP
OP
ScottB

ScottB

Tenderfoot
May 3, 2012
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030,Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pinpointer and Lesche digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, although good ideas that raking is too much work, especially in any heat.

I don't know how used to the machine you are, but I would suggest hunting a a different area for a while. Try a park, or a lake in your area. There would be less work and more rewards involved :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread