DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just returned from a trip to southern California to visit my wife's family. I've been doing genealogy research and discovered that family members buried a bunch of stuff behind their house at the beginning of WWII. They are Japanese-American and were forced from their home into a government "relocation" camp in early 1942.

The house is still there and still owned by the same family (my wife's grandfather leased the property from them for many years before the war).

The items were things that could "link" the family directly to Japan or to local Japanese social organizations and schools - things including sports trophies and school awards, possibly letters and photos and such... We're not really sure what was buried, but nothing of monetary value. The oldest siblings, who might have known, have now passed away.

So... we've decided it's worth having a look to see what we can turn up. We're working on getting permission from the owners.

Our expectations for finding anything after 64+ years are NOT high, but it should be a fun adventure and a good excuse to get the family together.

Anybody know of a local MD club or individuals in the LA area that might consider helping us out?

Thanks in advance for suggestions and/or encouragement.

DCMatt

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
DC,

welcome to the board.

I'm sure, that if you contact local clubs, they
will jump at the chance to work the property.

Hope you find some items from your family past.

have a good un...........

S

stefen

There are a number of TN members located in the LA / Orange Counties. I'm sure that you will be contacted on / or offline.

Are there metalic items that can be picked up by an MD?

OP
OP
DCMatt

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Are there metalic items that can be picked up by an MD?

Yes. We believe some of the objects are metal and could be detected - trophies and school medallions.

DCMatt

S

stefen

What is the specific city or unincorporated county territory where the property is located?

Being more specific will most likely bring you closer to any assistance. As a reference, it can take hours to cross the LA basin.

OP
OP
DCMatt

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The property is in a small town, north of L.A., called Guadalupe. The area is still largely agricultural. To my knowledge, the property is still being farmed.

My in-laws live in Long Beach. Don't know for sure, but I get the impression that it takes a while to drive to Guadalupe (1 - 2 hours?).

When we get permission and set a date to search the property, I'll post more specific information.

Thanks,

DCMatt

S

stefen

Guadalupe is approximately 200 miles north of LA...west of Santa Maria and north of San Luis Obispo....for geographic references thats about midway between LA and San Francisco.

Best guess is 5 to 6 hour drive (and maybe more)...located on a remote route accessible west of HWY 101...and not direct.

From central Long Beach, add another 30 miles.

And not many commercial (small craft) airports in that region...nearest one is either Lompoc (outside of Vandenberg AFB) or Santa Barbara.

Look up site on MapQuest then locate ground site by Google Earth.

And yes, its an agricultural area near the Pacific coast...its just in the boonies.

There is a person that posts on TN who is in that area...let me look up his name.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread