Last Canadian penny minted today!

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Canadian penny is no more. The last penny was minted today. Since 1859 there has been over 35 billion pennies minted...That's a heck of a lot of pennies!! The worst thing about it, we'll be finding pennies for years and years to come!!! However, the Canadian Government stated they will be used indefinitely. Hope that is the case....There's a lot of those pesky coins still in the ground to find! Granted those large cents and pennies up until 1936 will still be keepers....

Last edited:
May 2, 2012
Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV Metal Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh wow. o_o
Well I guess that means the older ones should increase in value overtime. I'd be interested to know how many pennies the united states has minted in it's life time. Considering all of them I find.. gotta be a big number. :D

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Found quite a few of the lovely old bronze Canada cents, my favorite is my 1859, but I got a killer 1931 too. Farewell canada cent. US is next.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems the Canadian mint is a lot smarter than the American mint. What a waste of effort, making pennies!

May 2, 2012
Minnnesota
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter TK4 Tracker IV Metal Detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't quote me on this but I remember hearing that the US Pennie is more of a tax aid then an actual currency aid.
Not to sure if it's true though.

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im sure Canada will still collect taxes, with or without the penny, just as in Europe. Maybe Americans have a problem counting, without the actual penny in the hand?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread