Indroduction

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
Hi everyone,
My name is Ricardo, 29 year old, live in New York City and am new both to the forum and the hobby. I'm an avid Largemouth Bass fisherman, US currency collector and since last year developed the interest and itch for metal detecting. I finally decided to buy a detector and get started. I didn't get anything expensive. I simply ordered a Bounty Hunter 1100 and will see where things go from there. I believe that if I have the patience and peristence along with the interest, I'll eventually purchase something to suit that situation. This is a start. With that said, even though I'll be getting this unit within a few days, I feel that I'm starting at the not so best time of the year. Any advice on Fall/Winter detecting? I would also like to hear ideas on learning how to experiment/teaching oneself to detect basic objects. I plan to bury a few different items at different depths and get a feel for the tones, etc., but any advice on this area would be appreciated. Thanks guys.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
R,

welcome to the board.

Winter dates open up for detecting; woods
with ground cover can be detected most of
the year.

Sounds like you have the right idea on a test
garden, to see how your machine reacts.

Best. Hope to see your finds soon.

have a good un................

Blind.In.Texas

Bronze Member
Sep 1, 2006
Lone Star State
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Howdy Ricardo and welcome to TNET. That machine is a decent one. I dug a Standing Liberty Quarter and a Mercury dime out of my front yard with one. The SLQ was at nine inches, so, don't let it fool you. It is however slightly limited the drier the soil gets. I scanned that same area before there was any rain. Scan like the book says and only a few inches at a time. Freshly buried object will not ALWAYS react the same way as longer buried objects. Planting them, however, will give you a chance to practice your pointing. The 1100 has no built in pinpointer, so, you'll need to work on the "X" formation. air tests are not always accurate according to most folks. "I however tend to agree that they are more accurate than one thinks. In any case, since you are in the back yard, dig every target at least on the first day to get a feel for the machine. Outer ring if the coil transmits and the inner coil receives. At about 3" inches across it will be very easy to miss small objects by taking steps that are two big. Make each pass just a few inches at a time.

GL and HH.

p.s. There are lots of people here with lots of knowledge who are always willing to help. I used to hunt the blackies myself......Mann's Augertail was my worm of choice....

Laater...

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the hobby and forum. We will help you all we can with answering questions. I suggest you do all the reading you can from the various detecting web sites as you can never have to much knowledge.

The test garden is an excellent idea. Mark the coins with a golf tee and make a diagram so you know where each coin is. Take special note in the tone of a pull tab and gold ring. Discriminate out the pull tab and check out the ring. There are many different types of tabs and they can lay in the ground in different positions. Learn retrieval in your yard. Carry out all the trash you dig up, ya don't wanna dig it up twice do you. Good luck and enjoy.

Sandman

OP
OP
Ricardo_NY1

Ricardo_NY1

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2006
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Explorer XS/II & Garrett ACE 250
A late thank you for the warm welcome guys. It's been a few weeks, found some coins, created some "Today's Finds" posts, and am having a good time here at the forums and on the field with the detector.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread