GARRETT AT PRO OR MINELAB SAFARI

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a Minelab Quattro and the recovery speed was terrible, apparently the Safari is a repackaged Quattro or so I've heard. Some people like the At Pro and others don't, wish you the best with your choice though.

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What do you mean slow recovery speed

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
What do you mean slow recovery speed

The time it takes to sound over a target until it can recover and sound off on another one...when targets are close together such as a trashy area you want something with a fast recovery speed.

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Most minelabs have a slow recovery.... and you have to sort of swing them slow also...

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Safari recovery speed does seem to have been improved over the Quattro but for those use to single frequency detectors it will still seem painfully slow. Thats life with BBS and FBS systems. On the other hand the Garrett has its drawbacks. On some of my beaches by the time you have balanced out the salt and mineralisation the sensitivity to gold rings has gone out the window whilst all the multifrequency Minelabs cope well.

If you can't get to try both detectors weigh up if you tend to be a fast detectorist or not. If you can't slow down your sweep speed then better to look at single frequency machines or twin/triple frequency that allow more flexibility.

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the info guys i just need to find somewhere where i can use them at a store or something

treasure4pleasure

Apr 18, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
FIsher F2, Garrett ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

This shows the AT Pro's recovery time, along with another brand md too.

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow at pro doesn't look too bad I guess thanks for the video

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
To bad they did not show you the recovery speed of a Minelab Safari then you would know...... What they mean about fast & slow recovery......

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To bad they did not show you the recovery speed of a Minelab Safari then you would know...... What they mean about fast & slow recovery......

i watched a video of the safari and its recovery speed i wasn't impressed. i love my ace 250 so it seems logical that my next detector would be another garrett just a better one and the speed of the at pro looked really good so im gonna give it a shot as soon as i can convince the old lady to let me buy it lol

TreasureWriter

Nov 13, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never used a minelab detector but I own 2 Garrett's a 2500 and an Ace 250 and I'm happy with both. Never had a problem although the 250 is new. I'd make a matrix and do a comparison of the frequency they operate at, features, detection depth, length of warranty etc.... I did buy both of my detectors through KellyCo. They seem to have the lowest prices and offer a lot of extras with the detector for free as well as free shipping. I've been pleased with them as well.

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
sonofadigger I am perplexed that your are considering two machines that are as different as night and day, in many, many ways.

OP
OP
sonofadigger

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gleaner1 said:
sonofadigger I am perplexed that your are considering two machines that are as different as night and day, in many, many ways.

Considered but made my mind up on the at pro

Gold Ninja

Greenie
Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this thread is old, but I just ran across it and I am new to this, and your video was interesting. Do you have any more pros or cons on the AT Pro now a year later? I some how ended up with 2 gold bug pros as I thought it would be great for my 7 year old son to detect with me. The detector idea was actually for his benefit, but turns out I love it as well. I realize now that it would make more sense to have a detector to compliment my 1st Gold Bug Pro, and I want to be able to at least get in shallow water at the beach. I also would like to be able to detect coins, gold, or jewelry. Would you recommend anything in particular or what are you preferences from experience?
thanks Treasure for Pleasure
Gold Ninja

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread