Professional Courtesy. Where do you stand?

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just as in law enforcement (and I do know), when a State Trooper stops a vehicle and finds out that the driver is either a fellow officer, fireman, or EMT etc, he will generally let them off with a warning.

In a sense, the same goes for this hobby right? You are invited to a site by your host and go home with some relics just knowing that there are more there.....Or you hear from a buddy about a site that he is planning on MDing.

So do you just invite yourself and/or your other buddies to the site without notifying the one that invited you? Just curious.

Responses are encouraged...

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally, if someone one shows me a site I would not show it to someone else with out their permission first.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

K Zack

Feb 2, 2012
West Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab- Explorer XS, Excalibur 800, Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Fisher 1280X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No, you should never invite your self or your friends to someone else site or hunt.
If they were to show up on my site or Hunt I would Polity ask them to remove them selves.
More often then not I hunt alone and on private property.
It would not be right for me to allow them to stay.
Kevin

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Never just invite yourself to someones site, or bring or tell anyone without the original hunters permission. If your buddy got a new TV and asked you if you wanted to watch the game on it one time, you wouldn't assume you could just go to his house anytime even if he wasn't home and watch his TV, and you certainly wouldn't bring other people with you.

OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I am glad to see that we all have the same train of thought....

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NOLA Ken put that in a perspective everybody should understand. Also, I tried to find the link to the news article, but not too long ago an off-duty Denver officer got pulled over in our county for DUI. He tried to pull the 'brothers in law enforcement', and our officers treated him like anybody else and took him straight to jail. Which is how it really should be.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
It would depend if it was public or private property I say. I wouldn't personally do anything like that but you can't expect everybody will consider a public area off limits just because someone else detected it first.

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just as in law enforcement (and I do know), when a State Trooper stops a vehicle and finds out that the driver is either a fellow officer, fireman, or EMT etc, he will generally let them off with a warning.

In a sense, the same goes for this hobby right? You are invited to a site by your host and go home with some relics just knowing that there are more there.....Or you hear from a buddy about a site that he is planning on MDing.

So do you just invite yourself and/or your other buddies to the site without notifying the one that invited you? Just curious.

Responses are encouraged...

Sorry, I just don't see how the two relate. But no, I don't think you should "bring a friend" unless instructed to do so. And just because someone invites you to their house for dinner, that doesn't give you an open invitation to stop by and raid their refrigerator at will.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Sorry, I just don't see how the two relate. But no, I don't think you should "bring a friend" unless instructed to do so. And just because someone invites you to their house for dinner, that doesn't give you an open invitation to stop by and raid their refrigerator at will.

But your house is your property...a public park, field, campground, school..etc isn't.

rickjr

Jul 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would not do it especially private property. I have had people tell me at the beach that it is their beach. I just ask if they can show me clear title to it.

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But your house is your property...a public park, field, campground, school..etc isn't.

True. That example may have been as much of a stretch as relating it to the "brothers in arms" example in the beginning. And I agree about the public parks and such. No one just "discovered" those. I was referring to places that actually required research and a little leg work on your part to discover that they had great potential. These may or may not be public, but are not obvious places to hunt. I just assumed that the original poster was referring to those type pf places, not public parks and schools. If I hunt a park and do good and then you hunt it, more power to ya. But if I spend a month researching a large "public" wooded area to find exactly where the old church picnic grove stood 100 years ago and tell you about it in passing, when I go to hunt it I wouldn't want to see your truck parked there.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I would not do it especially private property. I have had people tell me at the beach that it is their beach. I just ask if they can show me clear title to it.

If that was the case I would kick the dogshit out of them...lol...."My beach"...that would be the day.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw how those two related. Papa Bear has an interest in law enforcement, and I got the relation between the scenarios, but it was a stretch. I did not see any reference to 'brothers in arms'. Coinstriking Michigan makes some good finds, so if I saw him in our local public tot lot regularly, well yeah I probably wouldn't feel bad hitting it on his off days, if he left anything. If he had done some research and came up with a promising spot he was workin on, I really wouldn't feel right about barging in there without his say so. I have some sites I feel are promising but I've either given up on or will never get to them, so I'll tell folks all about them. A couple of others, nobody will know about, unless they find them on their own. And some of those are on public land.

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
Like I said before, I don't personally agree with it and would never do it but I see why some would.

smcdmc

Aug 12, 2011
Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess the simplest answer is don't tell anybody about your best spot until you are sure you want to share it. If they stumble upon it all by themselves then they probably have just as much right to be there then you.

OP
OP
Papa Bear

Papa Bear

Bronze Member
Dec 30, 2011
Western Territories
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

An example of professional courtesy that is all. Don't read too much into it.... :BangHead:

SaintSea

Feb 13, 2005
Central Florida
I think the word "courtesy" says it all. Treat others - and their spots with respect. There's always enough treasure out there for everyone - but maybe not as many good friends to go around. You decide what's more important.

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20 odd years ago I started looking for Arrowheads with a man that had 20 years in the hobby on me then. The FIRSt thing he taught me was that you DON'T take anyone to a place someone else has taken you unless they tell you if you want to bring a frind and come back without me it's cool. And It's a rule that I transfered over to Metal detecting, I don't take anyone to a place that One of my few mding friends has brought me to. If they wanted others there they would tell them therself. I call it respect for them and there kindness in bringing me to there places.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread