Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Professional Courtesy. Where do you stand?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Dec 2011
    West of the Mississippi
    Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
    305 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Professional Courtesy. Where do you stand?

Just as in law enforcement (and I do know), when a State Trooper stops a vehicle and finds out that the driver is either a fellow officer, fireman, or EMT etc, he will generally let them off with a warning.

In a sense, the same goes for this hobby right? You are invited to a site by your host and go home with some relics just knowing that there are more there.....Or you hear from a buddy about a site that he is planning on MDing.

So do you just invite yourself and/or your other buddies to the site without notifying the one that invited you? Just curious.

Responses are encouraged...
    Respect the research and permissions of others...Seriously...

Charter Member
    us
    *************** WHAT YOU DO WITH THE FINDS YOU DIG UP IS YOUR BUSINESS AND NO ONE ELSES, IGNORE ANYONE ON A SOAPBOX TRYING TO PREACH OTHERWISE! **************

Jul 2006
    Orlando, Fl
    Minelab_ETrac Minelab_Safari Minelab_Excal_1500_WOT Excal_SEF_12x15 Sovereign GT Whites_6000_XL_Pro Whites_Classic_ID Troy_Shadow_X2 Tesoro_Conquistador Fisher_1235X Whites_Beach ID
    8982 times
    Personally, if someone one shows me a site I would not show it to someone else with out their permission first.
    Papa Bear likes this.

HERE IS THE THING ABOUT RIGHTS, THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BE VOTED ON, THAT IS WHY THEY CALL THEM RIGHTS!

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; and posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." --Samuel Adams

MY LIBERTY AND FREEDOMS ARE NOT YOURS TO GIVE OR TAKE!.......THEY DIDN'T MAKE US FREE, WE WERE BORN FREE, AS LONG AS WE HAVE THE 2ND AMENDMENT WE WILL REMAIN FREE!

CLICK LINK BELOW TO READ OUR RULES..

TreasureNet.com Rules

Charter Member
    us
    TerrySoloman.com

May 2010
    Congress, AZ - White Plains, NY
    Tesoro Cult Member - Tejon; Sand Shark; Lobo Super Traq; Vaquero; Cibola; Compadre - Minelab GPX 5000
    3266 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Treasure_Hunter View Post
    Personally, if someone one shows me a site I would not show it to someone else with out their permission first.
    Ditto..
    Papa Bear likes this.

us
    Feb 2012
    West Michigan
    Minelab- Explorer XS, Excalibur 800, Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Fisher 1280X
    52 times
    Metal Detecting
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    No, you should never invite your self or your friends to someone else site or hunt.
    If they were to show up on my site or Hunt I would Polity ask them to remove them selves.
    More often then not I hunt alone and on private property.
    It would not be right for me to allow them to stay.
    Kevin
    Papa Bear likes this.
    Live to Hunt, Hunt to Live

us
    When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro....

Jan 2011
    New Orleans
    Garrett Ace 350 and Propointer, Whites Prism
    788 times
    Never just invite yourself to someones site, or bring or tell anyone without the original hunters permission. If your buddy got a new TV and asked you if you wanted to watch the game on it one time, you wouldn't assume you could just go to his house anytime even if he wasn't home and watch his TV, and you certainly wouldn't bring other people with you.
    Papa Bear likes this.
    "That's me, on the beach side combing the sand, metal meter in my hand, sporting a pocket full of change"...... NOFX

Now in the process of posting my antique photo collection at : http://forgottonimages.tumblr.com/

us
    Dec 2011
    West of the Mississippi
    Teknetics G2, Garrett ProPointer
    305 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    I am glad to see that we all have the same train of thought....
    Respect the research and permissions of others...Seriously...

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2007
    Summit County, CO
    White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster
    1385 times
    NOLA Ken put that in a perspective everybody should understand. Also, I tried to find the link to the news article, but not too long ago an off-duty Denver officer got pulled over in our county for DUI. He tried to pull the 'brothers in law enforcement', and our officers treated him like anybody else and took him straight to jail. Which is how it really should be.
    Papa Bear likes this.
    Just like Texas in 1880.

us
    Feb 2011
    Gladstone, MI
    Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
    200 times
    Coinshooting
    It would depend if it was public or private property I say. I wouldn't personally do anything like that but you can't expect everybody will consider a public area off limits just because someone else detected it first.
    Why do they call it "Taking a dump" when you're actually leaving one?

us
    Aug 2011
    Maine
    Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
    58 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa Bear View Post
    Just as in law enforcement (and I do know), when a State Trooper stops a vehicle and finds out that the driver is either a fellow officer, fireman, or EMT etc, he will generally let them off with a warning.

In a sense, the same goes for this hobby right? You are invited to a site by your host and go home with some relics just knowing that there are more there.....Or you hear from a buddy about a site that he is planning on MDing.

So do you just invite yourself and/or your other buddies to the site without notifying the one that invited you? Just curious.

Responses are encouraged...
    Sorry, I just don't see how the two relate. But no, I don't think you should "bring a friend" unless instructed to do so. And just because someone invites you to their house for dinner, that doesn't give you an open invitation to stop by and raid their refrigerator at will.

us
    Feb 2011
    Gladstone, MI
    Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
    200 times
    Coinshooting
    Quote Originally Posted by smcdmc View Post
    Sorry, I just don't see how the two relate. But no, I don't think you should "bring a friend" unless instructed to do so. And just because someone invites you to their house for dinner, that doesn't give you an open invitation to stop by and raid their refrigerator at will.
    But your house is your property...a public park, field, campground, school..etc isn't.

us
    Demoman

Jul 2007
    Minelab xterra 70
    4 times
    I would not do it especially private property. I have had people tell me at the beach that it is their beach. I just ask if they can show me clear title to it.
    Rick S

WHAT YOU GIVE OUT IN SLICES COMES BACK IN LOAVES!!!

us
    Aug 2011
    Maine
    Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
    58 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Coinstriking Michigan View Post
    But your house is your property...a public park, field, campground, school..etc isn't.
    True. That example may have been as much of a stretch as relating it to the "brothers in arms" example in the beginning. And I agree about the public parks and such. No one just "discovered" those. I was referring to places that actually required research and a little leg work on your part to discover that they had great potential. These may or may not be public, but are not obvious places to hunt. I just assumed that the original poster was referring to those type pf places, not public parks and schools. If I hunt a park and do good and then you hunt it, more power to ya. But if I spend a month researching a large "public" wooded area to find exactly where the old church picnic grove stood 100 years ago and tell you about it in passing, when I go to hunt it I wouldn't want to see your truck parked there.

us
    Feb 2011
    Gladstone, MI
    200 times
    Coinshooting
    Quote Originally Posted by rickjr View Post
    I would not do it especially private property. I have had people tell me at the beach that it is their beach. I just ask if they can show me clear title to it.
    If that was the case I would kick the dogshit out of them...lol...."My beach"...that would be the day.
    JasonFleck and G.A.P.metal like this.

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2007
    Summit County, CO
    White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster
    1385 times
    I saw how those two related. Papa Bear has an interest in law enforcement, and I got the relation between the scenarios, but it was a stretch. I did not see any reference to 'brothers in arms'. Coinstriking Michigan makes some good finds, so if I saw him in our local public tot lot regularly, well yeah I probably wouldn't feel bad hitting it on his off days, if he left anything. If he had done some research and came up with a promising spot he was workin on, I really wouldn't feel right about barging in there without his say so. I have some sites I feel are promising but I've either given up on or will never get to them, so I'll tell folks all about them. A couple of others, nobody will know about, unless they find them on their own. And some of those are on public land.
    Papa Bear likes this.
    Just like Texas in 1880.

us
    Feb 2011
    Gladstone, MI
    200 times
    Coinshooting
    Like I said before, I don't personally agree with it and would never do it but I see why some would.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors