A quick $190

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Every year my town has one weekend when your allowed to have a garage sale without getting a permit. I don't usually go to garage sales because to get the good stuff you need to get there early and with three little ones in the house I never get anywhere early.

My wife always says I can smell where money is so last year she pulled over to a garage sale as they were cleaning up. I jumped out found a bag of mostly plated silverware for $10. I did see that there were a few pieces of solid silver so I got it. Sold six spoons for $90 and still have the rest of the bag - 2 more solid silver spoons and around 8-10 silver plated which are all serving pieces.

So this year we decide to take the kids out for an early dinner at the local sushi place. Driving down the street there are three garage sales in a row. She pulls over and joking says okay make us some money. The first place nothing, the second is all junk but I see a cigar box with Anthony's Stuff written on it. I open it and it is full of gold chains and a ring. The chains look fake but I could tell the ring was white gold. I ask how much and the response is $2 for everything. I pull out a twenty but they don't have change. I walk to the car and have the wife pull $2 worth of change out of the ashtray. The third place had nothing.

We eat then as we are leaving I look across the parking lot and there is a pawn shop that I've never been to. The ring was 14K. I did not see the weight and I'm sure if I held on to it I could have made more money but I got a quick $190. The kids got a kick out of watching them check the stuff with a magnet, then weight it and do the acid test on the gold. It was the first time I ever sold something at a Pawn Shop so it was a unique experience for myself as well.

Sorry I did not have the camera with me so no pictures. The ring was marked 14K Art Carved and was a large man's ring. BTW all the chains stuck to the magnet and there was a small heart set of a necklace and earrings that were marked 10K but it also stuck to the magnets. The set went to my 8 year old.

Happy hunting everyone.

NJ

Last edited:
OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice score. On a side note, is there any value in silver plated utensils?

Not for the silver value but if someone needs it for a pattern they own then there maybe some value. I may reach out to Replacements Inc. to see if they want to buy the lot. Never done that before so I'm not sure how it works or what kind of money they pay.

NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions