VB Sanddigger

Sep 6, 2008
Suffolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With permission from the land owner and blessings from the farmer until crops are in, today Teak and I got kicked off the field we have been hunting for the past 2 months.

The reason – Metal detectorists who took it upon themselves to hunt all around the area and felt they had the same rights as we did. The farmer had to police his fields and run off at least 10 different detectorists. In fact today, two of them were in his field that had crops in. WTS?

So, if you are a poster or lurker and you’ve been hunting up off Guinea Road in Gloucester, VA, thanks a million. You have ruined our fun time and made us look bad.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
feel your pain - my hunt partner and I have lost a handful of fields for the same reason - ones we were getting a lot of 1600's finds at too
we had permission - others figured if we hit there - they could - farmers got po'ed
now no one allowed

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Metal detectorists like that make everyone look bad....You said he had to run off 10!! Goes to show there are more than a few bad apples in our hobby!

The general public watching American Diggers on TV seeing Ric Savage going to landowners doors and being pushy to dig on their land and this kind of thing happening in reality isn't going to help our cause. When someone is seen swinging a detector anywhere, people are going to have a negative impression. That's why I try to keep a low profile when detecting and try to avoid curiosity seekers.

Anyway, wish you luck and maybe you could regain permission to hunt there again!

OP
OP
VB Sanddigger

VB Sanddigger

Sep 6, 2008
Suffolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metal detectorists like that make everyone look bad....You said he had to run off 10!! Goes to show there are more than a few bad apples in our hobby!

The general public watching American Diggers on TV seeing Ric Savage going to landowners doors and being pushy to dig on their land and this kind of thing happening in reality isn't going to help our cause. When someone is seen swinging a detector anywhere, people are going to have a negative impression. That's why I try to keep a low profile when detecting and try to avoid curiosity seekers.

Anyway, wish you luck and maybe you could regain permission to hunt there again!

Thanks New! I totally agree with you about the diggin' shows. Watched one and that was enough!

teak

Dec 7, 2008
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people are rude and have no concern for other people or property! If you see a farm field that is planted why would u walk right into the field and start digging...not to mention you didn't have permission in the first place!

People like that are creating a big issue for the rest of us that do the proper thing by getting permission! I told the farmer I would not hunt anymore in the field that has been yielding some great finds for me and Sanddigger. Because since we have been detecting this little area others thought it is ok to start hitting the surrounding fields, some planted. The farmer told me in the last 2 weeks he has chased off between 10 to 12 people that were in fields detecting without permission!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
feel your pain - my hunt partner and I have lost a handful of fields for the same reason - ones we were getting a lot of 1600's finds at too
we had permission - others figured if we hit there - they could - farmers got po'ed
now no one allowed

''Likewise'' Some people just do not have any respect, and ruin it for those that do respect the landowner. VB Sanddigger I hope you are still allowed permission on the property.

silversweeper

Aug 22, 2011
Swampeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That totally blows! That's one of the main reasons I try to keep quiet about my sites and normally hunt either alone or with someone that I trust knows to keep hush-hush. I've been detecting before and found unfilled holes from other diggers. I always take the time to fill their holes but I sure would like to catch one of them in the act of leaving one open!! I've also chased a couple of hunters off of property I've had permission on before, telling them that they shouldn't be there if they havn't gotten the okay from the landowner. May not be my right to do so but I hate going to all the work of finding a spot and securing permission just to lose it because of some bum. Sorry for your loss. Hope you can get back on in the future.

Deputy Dave

Jul 13, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
I've been through all of this too. Recently I took a guy that was introduced to me by someone I go to church with. This guy had been detecting for a few yrs. And had great collection of relics. He seem to be someone I could trust so I took him to several of my favorite sites. We went one place that I had exclusive permission to hunt and could bring one person on the property with me. We had a great day on the property and found several relics. My new friend found a Royal miners and sappers british hat badge and I got several good british buttons. Well a few weeks later I went by his house and picked him up to go to another site but at the last minute changed my mind and went to the property where we found the british relics. After telling him what we were gonna to do he acted really strange and tried to get me to go somewhere else but I continued to the property. when we arrived he wouldn't get for from my truck and Im thinking what's this guys problems. Well well well I was soon gonna find out. The land owner drove onto the property and parked behind my truck. My new friend or should I say ex friend ran a jumped in my truck and the land owner saw him and waved me to the truck. He told me t leave and never come back on his property. When I asked why he said you can thank the guy that's setting in your truck. I caught him and 4 other guys here a few days ago and he said that you had gave him permission to come here and metal detect. I was socked and I apologized to him and let him know that I never gave anyone permission to come onto his property. He didn't want to hear it and told me to leave. What I said to this guy in the way home can't me posted on this forum. MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHO TO TRUST.

junkhunter

Oct 4, 2010
i never go back to somone elses spot even if its public without their ok 1st.i got enough trouble getting places to hunt as it is without pissing people off.

oldsalty19

Silver Member
May 29, 2011
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350 and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:BangHead: There are always morons and idiots who ruin this hobby and make us all look bad.......GET WRITTEN PERMISSON, AND CHECK IF OTHER DETECTORISTS, if you see them, have the same.....if they don't......TURN THEM IN TO THE LANDOWNER.........

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard similar stories before. Our team has never lost land in this way, even when the Night Hawks hit our patch. Because, we warn them that it may happen, & if they are worried about it, we can phone them each time we are out. Anyone else spotted they will get the Police involved/hay I thought it was America, just shot them. We have had more success because we are trusted. If you build trust there is no reason to kick you off, & if the odd friend is with you (& you have prior permission & agreed a date), then when they are caught without you it will not be your problem. Honesty & control are easy to manage & we have never had problems, if anything we are an extra pair of eyes on their land & we gain more land because of the idiots. They just make us look even better.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also if you are sharing all your finds with the owners, why would they want to kick you off & get nothing. If you give nothing, they have nothing to lose, right?

James/Ouida

Jan 23, 2012
Alaska
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here in my town in Alaska, there aren't a whole lot of ppl cutting through other ppls yards, or even on the property, unless you are on a first name basis. People here tend to take the 2nd amendment seriously, and will defend their property, then call the police or state troopers. It's rude and inconsiderate to think you can go and trample wherever, and to say the least, dangerous. It's upsetting when somebody is taking advantage of others property without the proper go-ahead, and it can have longer lasting consequences than less intelligent ppl understand. I fill my holes, never leave trash, and for that matter, I haven't even blazed a trail to my sites. Besides making sure other ppl who might have an interest in finding my paydirt, I'm ever careful to make sure I don't piss off the black bears. Because the wooded valley behind my house is their property, and they run faster than I can!

OP
OP
VB Sanddigger

VB Sanddigger

Sep 6, 2008
Suffolk, VA
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excal
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been through all of this too. Recently I took a guy that was introduced to me by someone I go to church with. This guy had been detecting for a few yrs. And had great collection of relics. He seem to be someone I could trust so I took him to several of my favorite sites. We went one place that I had exclusive permission to hunt and could bring one person on the property with me. We had a great day on the property and found several relics. My new friend found a Royal miners and sappers british hat badge and I got several good british buttons. Well a few weeks later I went by his house and picked him up to go to another site but at the last minute changed my mind and went to the property where we found the british relics. After telling him what we were gonna to do he acted really strange and tried to get me to go somewhere else but I continued to the property. when we arrived he wouldn't get for from my truck and Im thinking what's this guys problems. Well well well I was soon gonna find out. The land owner drove onto the property and parked behind my truck. My new friend or should I say ex friend ran a jumped in my truck and the land owner saw him and waved me to the truck. He told me t leave and never come back on his property. When I asked why he said you can thank the guy that's setting in your truck. I caught him and 4 other guys here a few days ago and he said that you had gave him permission to come here and metal detect. I was socked and I apologized to him and let him know that I never gave anyone permission to come onto his property. He didn't want to hear it and told me to leave. What I said to this guy in the way home can't me posted on this forum. MAKE SURE YOU KNOW WHO TO TRUST.

That story totally sucks and I would be furious. I'm sorry.

teak

Dec 7, 2008
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that really does suck! wonder what that guy was thinking!! Greed!!! I agree only share the sites with people you trust. I'm not sure I would have gave that guy a ride back home after that!!

teak

Dec 7, 2008
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS/Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also if you are sharing all your finds with the owners, why would they want to kick you off & get nothing. If you give nothing, they have nothing to lose, right?
I do show items to the property owners and have shared items too. Mostly they are interested in the history and the finds and don't want to keep anything, that old rusty thing doesn't look that appealing to most like it does me!! : )

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that really does suck! wonder what that guy was thinking!! Greed!!! I agree only share the sites with people you trust. I'm not sure I would have gave that guy a ride back home after that!!

With regards to trust, you also have to be careful about who you introduce in the hobby as well!! A few years back I met this guy who was intrested in the hobby and wanted to get into it. Anyway, I helped him out a great deal getting him a detector, advice and shared my sites with him. So one day he found some nice things and I asked him where he found it and he refused to say...What gratitude!! He also found a Graduation Nursing School gold ring with the ladys name and year of graduation. Living in a smaller center she could have been easily located. I suggested to him finding her and returning the ring.....All he said was: "Losers weepers, Finders keepers" . Really showed his character. Anyway, he would call me to find out more places to go and I distanced myself from him....Learned that lesson. So the moral of the story, in this hobby you really have to be careful about who you trust because in the end you could get burned.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With that many people in your area it's not a bad idea to kind of indirectly mention it (some people trespass) in the permission process because it sort of makes it you and the land owners against them, and you will be more likely to keep the site. Even just making some kind of joke that you're the cheapest security anyone can hire sort of plants the seed you're on the same team. I think being proactive will probably yield better results than being reactive.

Subterranean

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2012
Southwest Missouri
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (Julio), Garrett AT Max (Medusa), Garrett Pro Pointer, White's Prism V, Lesche Digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A CRIMINAL with a metal detector is still a CRIMINAL...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread