The Vibrating / Tumbler in action***

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
OK my tumbler came in ahead of plan today. I am going to do a series of cleanups in it. I had 3 discs that I assumed to be coins. I didn't take pictures of them because there was nothing to see, but I will show the results if I can identify them. I placed #50 grit aluminum oxide abrasive in with the "coins". I use this abrasive in my "sand" blaster. #50 grit is pretty abrasive. I am going to pickup some different abrasives tomorrow. I am going to look for glass bead media, and resin abrasive + maybe soda abrasive. They are hard to find in small quantities. I will keep you posted and show pictures if I can come up with some positive results. I won't try the good stuff until I have some confirmed results from set times. This toumbler usually takes from 1 hour to 6 hours to show results. It is run dry with the possible exception of a small amount of polish in walnut media or ground corncobb. I have heard that saw dust works well. The main purpose of this type of tumbler is to clean and polish items. Till I get results, Frank hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Well the 50 grit aluminum oxide is to course for this type pf tumbler. One "coin" is still a green disc, but the front and back of the edges is now bright copper. I can bearly make out one as a memorial penny and the last appears to be a quarter that was bur hand print-2_edited-3.jpg ned in a fire, ie the copper inside has bubbled. I picked up some plastic abrasive material that I will try next.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Looks like the plastic abrasive material is doing it, but it is slower than expected. I ran it overnite and the quarter detail is comming out. I can see the distortions from a lot of heat. The penny is looking better, but the green "penny" is still green. I will give it one more nite tumbling. I have added two tokens. When I went to get the plastic abrasive material, they had crushed glass abrasive, but I will pass that one up. hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

FCCDFEd

Sep 29, 2007
Terra Bella, Ca.
Detector(s) used
DFX, IDXPro, MXT, Lobo St., At Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Frank, I too have a vibratumbler and love it. I clean all my clad just so I can examine it before turning it into the bank. I tried alot of different mediums and finally settled on peagravel or aquarium rock (either plain or white). Let it vibrate about 12-18 hrs and it really cleans up nice. It works for clad not sure if it will work for the disc unless they are of the same material. Good Luck and looking forward to seeing the pics.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I will put the pictures in the next post, been busy. The plastic abrasive from HF works great on silver, OK on copper, not to good on the appearantly brass alloy token, and not at all on the "green penny". Beach sand as noted above should work well and foundary sand which is pointed on edges might be to abrasive for the good stuff. I am just looking for all the options. Suggestions welcome. hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

fibes

Aug 28, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I just bought a vibrating tumbler from HF. I bought 1/4" pyramid resin with it. I put in a few items and lit it up. It started out good and things were cleaning fast. I turned it on again this morning and checked it in about 3 hrs. What a mess. Somehow the media was leaving all kinds of sticky dark crap all over some of the brass and the media is all sticky and dark. I don't know how to get the stuff off. Just someting to watch out for. I don't know what would work best. I'll try everything.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Brass, noncoins, will clean up with muratic acid in about 5 seconds, then immediately dropped into water to neutralize. Wear gloves and eye protection. The acid come in a plastic container in small quantities. It is used to clean brickwork. Frank... hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

seekandfind

Jul 7, 2012
northwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 101/505
ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
anyone think about some beach sand and pea gravel? you could probably get a couple scoops while at the beach and the price is right, after all the coins in question are just cleaned and turned in right.? good luck hh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread