Fisher 1265x???

DanTheNewbie

Apr 19, 2012
Central connecticut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ve been detecting for a few months now and am using a low end bounty hunter, didn't want to go big and then find out I didn't enjoy it. Well I have a chance to get a hold of a 1265x was wondering if it would out perform the newer bounty hunter I have, I've read there deep seeking and you can switch between discs, anyone on here ever own one? Is it decent, deep ect. Any info would help, thank you!!

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

The 1265x dates to the early or mid 1980s. Great machine for its time. Depth on a dime perhaps 7" if you pushed it in good soil (so definately not a "deep seeker" by today's standards). It was one of the early slow motion discriminators of that era. No TID (except ascending/descending disc. knob) Easy to use, pleasant sounds.

Not sure what depth your entry level bounty hunter is capable of, but I'd guess there about the same in depth. Your BH might have TID though, or faster response, etc....

The ability to "switch between discs" is a gimmick. You could accomplish the same thing by rolling the disc. knob back and forth on ANY of the old ascending/descending scales. It was just a way to speed up the decision making process of accepting or rejecting to dig or not dig. The theory being that perhaps low disc. got deeper. So a person might waltz around, get a signal, then try his other disc. (set to higher) to see if it "still came in" (and to what degree). Because once you had a spot to try (and presumably now centered over it firmly), then by switching to a higher disc, you'd not be as apt to have missed it, since you are now firmly triple-trying the spot. I dunno if that's making sense.

Ve been detecting for a few months now and am using a low end bounty hunter, didn't want to go big and then find out I didn't enjoy it. Well I have a chance to get a hold of a 1265x was wondering if it would out perform the newer bounty hunter I have, I've read there deep seeking and you can switch between discs, anyone on here ever own one? Is it decent, deep ect. Any info would help, thank you!!

OP
OP
DanTheNewbie

DanTheNewbie

Apr 19, 2012
Central connecticut
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! I'm going to pick it up, the detector I have now only picks up large targets at 7 inches and a quarter at maybe 4 haha. So a dime at 7 sounds good to me. I'm going to wait a year before I invest in an expensive machine.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Just a gimmick" is almost exactly what Jack Gifford published about Fisher introducing the discrimination switching so why did it become such a wonderful feature when he introduced it to the flagship Tesoro, the Tejon.
The theory that "perhaps" lower discrimination might be deeper is a classic comment. If it wasn't then all detectors would be set to ignore pull tabs and no one would ever dig any rubbish.

The major advantage of the twin settings system was to allow complete accuracy of the discrimination level set rather than the rough guess of the "thumbing" method. Makes all the difference on the older deeper targets.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions