Apr 25, 2012
North Central Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Ace350
Pioneer Bounty Hunter 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every morning on my way to work I have to stop by and see my Coke dealer (McDonalds). I live in a smaller town of about 25,000 and I know most of the employees there. I happen to have the Successful Coin Hunting Book sitting in the passenger seat of my car. The lady at the drive thru notices it and asks, "What do you do with that?" and me being me says "I read it" and we both laugh. She asks if I have a metal detector and I of course say yes. To which she responds. I have a place you can hunt, it's my grandmothers farm. She passed away many years ago and we still own the land. She used to bury money in coffee cans but she forgot where she buried them. If you would like you can go hunt the farm place and I will split what ever you find 50/50.

I got a bit more info from her and she is serious so I say sure Ill go take a look see. Since I haven't cache hunted before, what do I need to know aside from dig everything?

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome opportunity! Be sure to post your finds!

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Usually people will bury money in a place that will be easily found again so it may have some sort of marker. I would hunt around all the buildings: House, Barn, Outhouse, Chicken Coup, wells, sheds, etc, Around all the trees by the house. Under any old clothes lines (not for cache just a good place to hunt). By all fence posts or other posts (i.e. clothes lines, bird houses, flag poles) All main pathways between all of the above. Under porches. In any buildings with dirt floors. If none of this works then check all the other place in the front and back yards that you have not already hunted...lol.

Good luck

NJ

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The target will be larger and probably deeper than your typical coin size object. I'd use the relic mode, if you have one on your detector, and a 12" or bigger coil.

K

Kentucky Kache

Every morning on my way to work I have to stop by and see my Coke dealer (McDonalds). I live in a smaller town of about 25,000 and I know most of the employees there. I happen to have the Successful Coin Hunting Book sitting in the passenger seat of my car. The lady at the drive thru notices it and asks, "What do you do with that?" and me being me says "I read it" and we both laugh. She asks if I have a metal detector and I of course say yes. To which she responds. I have a place you can hunt, it's my grandmothers farm. She passed away many years ago and we still own the land. She used to bury money in coffee cans but she forgot where she buried them. If you would like you can go hunt the farm place and I will split what ever you find 50/50.

I got a bit more info from her and she is serious so I say sure Ill go take a look see. Since I haven't cache hunted before, what do I need to know aside from dig everything?

That's the way good treasure leads usually come. Sometimes it seems as though the leads are looking for you, and not the other way around. You've been given good advice. The only things I could say is, ask everything you can think of about the old lady, her house, and anything else you can think of. Big coil is probably the best advice you have so far. Other than that, hunt thoroughly.

You might want to check out the cache hunting forum here. There's lots of good reading on how and where to look.

K

Kentucky Kache

And one other thing. If you think that coke habit is addicting, just wait until you've done your first cache hunt. You've been warned.:laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
QuarterMaster

QuarterMaster

Apr 25, 2012
North Central Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Ace350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey thanks for the advice guys I really appreciate it! And KK I'm pretty certain that you are correct about cache hunting being addicting :thumbsup:
As soon as I get all the info I may have more questions but once I do go, I will take pics and fill you all in. Thanks again.

AUVnav

Mar 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure you do a good grid layout, start checking off the boxes! Good Luck!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point! I'd get a roll of that cheap nylon rope to lay out the grid. You can detect right over it and you won't miss any spots that way.

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Try under pathway slates if no one mentioned it, near trees and in hollow ones, even nearby{within view from home} landmarks. My Aunt{great} Nell always went to the chicken area to get me a SLQ for candy{no date} RIP

Last edited:

khpony

May 29, 2006
Rociada, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, AM Recon Sluice, Technetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
One thing to keep in mind is that the farmers wives liked to burry their money where the could keep an eye on it. That was generally from their kitchen window. I'd go to it, look out and see what you can see. Should give you some good ideas.

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try under pathway slates if no one mentioned it, near trees and in hollow ones, even nearby{within view from home} landmarks. My Aunt{great} Nell always went to the chicken area to get me a SLQ for candy{no date} RIP

Chicken coups were good hiding places since the chickens acted like watch dogs. If someone they did not know went into the coup they would squak up a storm.

OP
OP
QuarterMaster

QuarterMaster

Apr 25, 2012
North Central Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Ace350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the great input guys! As soon as I get to go, Ill make sure I take pics and post them

cgull

May 17, 2010
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, AT PRO, XLT and Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice lead the caches! No telling what you'll find, cant wait to see the photos!

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT

50/50 thats nuts. The first thing you have to do is get a partner and OFFER a 1/3 split. Track down the mineral rights, and buy a motorhome. Only after that you are good to go.
Anyway I do wish you luck.

OP
OP
QuarterMaster

QuarterMaster

Apr 25, 2012
North Central Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Ace350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
50/50 thats nuts. The first thing you have to do is get a partner and OFFER a 1/3 split. Track down the mineral rights, and buy a motorhome. Only after that you are good to go.
Anyway I do wish you luck.

Sooo... I SHOULDN'T buy the gofast boat yet? :dontknow: :)

rickjr

Jul 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask the grand daughter if she rememebers where any old out houses may have been. People back then didn't trust bankers (something we should pick up on) and they would put there money in an old privy that they were filling in thinking the banker would never dig there.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try and use the largest coil, if the house is still standing, see where the kitchen's outside view would be. (If in the back of the house).
Don't eat too much at McD's before the hunt.
Carl

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm waiting impatiently to see how this pans out! Do inform us, even if you find rubbish and no cache's. It'd be informative either way and every story needs an ending of some sort!

OP
OP
QuarterMaster

QuarterMaster

Apr 25, 2012
North Central Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Ace350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm waiting impatiently to see how this pans out! Do inform us, even if you find rubbish and no cache's. It'd be informative either way and every story needs an ending of some sort!

No worries, still working out the details. As soon as I get started I will start posting about it. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions