Mineralization; (there will be a test) ;)

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been around this hobby a long time and ya know, I still have some difficulty figuring out mineralization problems with a detector. So, if I may, a few questions for anyone who understands better than I.

1.) Just how is it that mineralization affects a metal detector.
2.) Does highly mineralized ground get worse when wet?
3.) The ground I'm hunting is self tuning to about 92 on a ATPRO. Is that a lot?
4.) Is it feasible that when out on a muddy day, the mineralized mud paints a coating on the coil and causes the detector to malfunction? Or lose effectiveness?
5.) I know that the Garrett Groundhog works better in VLF mode when hunting such ground. The TR side is just too flaky. What about the ATPRO? Is it basically a TR only detector?
6.) I tried testing a hole in this ground. I used a clad quarter. Made sure there were no signals then cut a plug about 4 inches deep. I put the quarter in the hole and loosely tapped the plug back in and tried. The quarter completely disappeared! So, I lifted the plug and with an open hole tried again. I could see the quarter but the detector couldn't! I laid the quarter on the surface and it had no problems. I went to a near by park where the ground is only showing about 67 for mineralization. It could see the quarter fine . Even as deep as 15 inches! My question, is this typical for mineralization? I suppose there are different types of mineralization but, this seemed a bit extreme to me.

Any and all comments welcomed. I'll get this thing figured out yet!

Anyone else think an ATPRO doesn't work well in high mineralization?

Thanks!
HH

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had some of these problems myself on Sunday gone, I was up against four Etraq users on a heavy mineralized site, and looking for tiny saxon sceats at 10mm in diameter, three of the etraqs scored before me, one having two, and over a area I had been over, before I finally nailed one, the Etraq's seemed to be better than the XPGMP with coping with this situation.

The only time I notice a difference about opperating with the XP, is during a heavy frost, especially when the frost sticks to the search head, seems to make it false signal.:dontknow: And the amount of time I have lost signals...well that's another tale.
I can see the wet having a effect with my XP when wet on heavy mineralized sites, though I have yet to come across this situation... not sure about your detector.

SS

Last edited:

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Your detector pickes up some minerals in the ground. It either balances them out automaticly or you adjest the groung balance manually. What this means is that you have lost a small percentage of your pickup power. Your detector signal conducts better through damp ground. That means you pickup your target better in damp ground. The down side of damp ground is that you also pick up the mineralization better. I keep my coil about 1" above ground level while scanning, so I don't have a problem with muddy coils, or coil wear. In your quarter test, the mineralization rejection setting was probably higher than the quater return signal from the hole. I don't use your brand of detector so I can't speak for them. hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the responses. One thing I hadn't considered; I knew the moisture would help the detector pick up signals but I'd forgotten that the noise it's getting because of mineralization is ALSO a signal. (blush) Makes sense that wet mineralization would show up more.

I'm comparing my detector with an AT-Pro and both are having difficulty. The ATPRO is tuning the ground out at about 90-92. Is that normal? Or am I just blessed with very mineralized ground?

I usually hunt with the coil above the ground but on muddy days it still tends to catch some mud. I noticed the coating after it dried and then started wondering just how much that cuts down on the detector's effectiveness.

When I did my quarter test with the AT-PRO I tried it in all metal pro mode and it still didn't see the quarter in the hole. Even when it was open! Kind of shocked me a bit. Wasn't even using iron discrimination!

Thanks again guys, for the responses. Every bit helps.

HH!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I have never used an AT-PRO, so I can't speak for that. I use a Whites XLT and it has spoiled me. When I wave it over a quarter in the ground, It shows quarter on the screen. hand print-2_edited-3.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread