diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually a question about the lack of a gold hallmark. I purchased a 32nd degree Mason's watch fob and chain a few weeks ago along with a few other items from a Master Mason's estate. Didn't think nothing of it because the chain was marked 1/10 14k filled and the fob wasn't marked at all. Today I pulled it out and started researching similar fobs online. It seems many of these are not marked with a karat weight even though they acid test out as gold. I pulled out my loupe and inspected it and sure enough it looked real good. No signs of loss of plating or anything. I pulled out my test kit and it tests to 10k. I tried using the 14k acid and after about 5 minutes it starts to fade a little. It stayed long and strong with the 10k acid. I've handled many pieces of gold jewelry and everything was always hallmarked with karat purity. How many of you have come across gold that wasn't hallmarked? With the exception of really old gold (200 years+) that is.

Attachments

• masonic fob.jpg
    masonic fob.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 369
  • mason fob1.jpg
    mason fob1.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 634
  • mason fob 2.jpg
    mason fob 2.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 622
  • mason fob 3.jpg
    mason fob 3.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 319

leprechaun

Bronze Member
Feb 20, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030; The only metal detector I'll ever need
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last three rings that I've found were not marked.Two I tested, one was 14,the other was 18,The last one I haven't tested yet.Also thats a nice fob.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could you tell if they were never marked or just worn down from wear over the years? I ask because i've found silver rings before where the mark was almost completely worn off from wear over the years.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took it to my jeweler a little while ago. He said it's 12k and that the stones are old rose cut diamonds and rubies. He said he believes it dates to the late 1800's to early 1900's, based on the karat weight, the lack of a mark and the cut of the stones. Sweet!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread