1800s Farm...

bk1033

May 16, 2012
Houston
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone. I'm new to metal detecting and to this forum. i just got an ace 250 and i am renting a farm from the 1800-1900s. it is an old german school house and church. it is along the Kansas-Missouri-Texas railroad in cat spring texas (near bellville and sealy). it has a few ponds and it might have a creek. i will not be spending my whole time detecting, but i will devote a few full days to it. i was just wondering what the best place was to detect. i am definitely looking near the house and near the barn. would the railroad or creek be any good? i will mainly be looking for coins and old artifacts. thanks. i'll report my finds!

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try and do as much research of the property. Check ''around'' the house, the barn, and do not forget to check around the school. I would even try and locate the old outhouses ( house and school ). Most likely they would have had their own. Good Luck!

OP
OP
B

bk1033

May 16, 2012
Houston
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for responding. i have looked at some topographical maps (1962 and 1919) and didnt find much. the '62 one showed the house and the lakes but that is all. sorry if it was confusing, but the house/church/school are the same thing. it was a christian elementary school that was also a church. it is now being used as a house and was converted to a house in about the 1940s. how else could i find where the outhouses and such were? i have checked google earth and it only goes as far back as 1995. thanks. (im only 14 so any tips and such would help a lot)
google earth Screen Shot 2012-05-16 at 11.02.13 PM.png google earth Screen Shot 2012-05-16 at 11.02.28 PM.png
1919 topo map Screen Shot 2012-05-16 at 11.03.59 PM.png 1962 topo map Screen Shot 2012-05-16 at 11.04.17 PM.png

Last edited:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually the outhouse was behind or to the side of the dwelling. Look for any slight caving in areas. Get yourself a brass rod ( any medium sized rod that doesn't bend too easily ) and have it shaped like a T, with the verticle part at least three feet long. Now I know it sounds like a lot of work but poke the rod in the ground as far as you can and by testing the soils density you can try and pinpoint where the ground has been disturbed. So in other words the soil where the privy was it should be easier to penetrate than soil that has not been disturbed in the past. Sometimes the grass seems to grow more greener where the privy was. I hope you can understand what I'm trying to say? Good Luck!

OP
OP
B

bk1033

May 16, 2012
Houston
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks. i will try that when i go up there next week. ill look around for it and dig it up.

Billinoregon

May 3, 2012
Sweetwater, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro DeLeon
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bk: I, for one, would love to be in your shoes. Hope you have an absolute blast digging targets on this place. I am sure you will find things that will set your heart racing. Be sure to post your finds!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread