Found a little treasure and need a little advice

Denarius

May 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First post but I've been lurking for a while. I need some hunting advice about some stuff I found and some critique of my poor treasure hunting technique. I thought I would come to the experts.
I was swimming at a beach resort a short while ago and I started to find coins. They were recent minting and not too corroded, though some were more than others. This was fun so I noted the general area, which was about 20 yards by maybe 30 yards, and went back several times. The second day there there was a storm, though the waves were not so strong at the beach as there was a reef offshore. The next day I went and found more coins and out of the corner of my eye I saw a glint of gold. I had to go up cause I was out of breath but I went back down and found a gold chain, a bracelet. I was so surprised that I went back to shore without fixing the spot or digging further.(one rule I do know is follow the debris trail, but I didn't) I did know the general location tho and went back the next day. This time I noticed a lot of ring like objects, seriously corroded, that I hadn't bothered with before so I picked them up. They turned out to be silver, 5 rings. Not much value but at least I know what corroded silver looks like now. The last day on my last swim I found two gold rings in the same area. I didn't dig around again cause I was so surprised. Also there was a lot of coral on the bottom and I didn't want to cut up my hands. (that's a weak excuse, I know) The gold looks like junk gold, it's in a little rough shape though that may be because it was on the bottom, I don't know, I'm just a rank amateur.
So I may go back there, though it will cost me a vacation, and I'm wondering how I should approach this. Any advice? Also, what should I have done? As an aside I'm wondering how I should prepare for this kind of thing. I'm thinking of adding a small digging tool to my mini toolkit that I take everywhere. It would have maybe helped to dig around when I found the gold.
I probably made a lot of rookie mistakes but at least I fixed the approximate spot where I found the rings. It's tough fixing a spot off of a beach.
Thanks.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Your clue is the reef offsure! You have located a troff or pocket that traps items heavier than the sand. It's like a Gold pan and the reef and sho hand print-2_edited-3.jpg re are the sides. There is probably plenty there. You might consider renting a small boat and a hokom. A small airpump and hose that allowes you to breathe under water on a calm day. It sounds good enough that you would come out way ahead. Good Luck !

Last edited:

rickjr

Jul 1, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab xterra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't see anything in your post about using a MD. If you don't have one buy one. Also, there is device that you can buy that will tell you the exact location of where you are at. It's called a GPS recommend you get one of those as well. You are now officially addicted welcome to the best hobby around. GOOD HUNTING!!!

OP
OP
D

Denarius

May 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A small airpump and hose that allowes you to breathe under water on a calm day. It sounds good enough that you would come out way ahead. Good Luck !

It's a hotel beach so I need to be discrete. Also it's real near to shore, at low tide I can stand on the bottom with my head out of the water. It's weird, there are tons of people swimming around and just below them is ????? treasure, maybe. I can't figure it out. How come no one noticed it?

I didn't see anything in your post about using a MD

Again hotel beach, I don't think i could get away with it.

there is device that you can buy that will tell you the exact location of where you are at. It's called a GPS

Yea I know, I've been resisting buying a GPS cause I have this macho "I'm an outdoorsman and I don't need this new technology" attitude. I think I gotta change that.

You are now officially addicted welcome to the best hobby around. GOOD HUNTING!!!

X100. Yup.
I still need some advice here. I really want to go back and search some more.
Thanks all!!!

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Morning Denarius,

Well you've made my morning read a lot more interesting, thank you! Being DISCRETE is the method you need to use for this type of search as you may have discovered a good size natural treasure spot. If you were to sell one or two of the gold rings you've found then you should have enough to purchase the following items: a Small sand scoop, a discrete finds container(cloth bag or net bag, something the water will easily drain from) to empty the contents of the sand scoop into(nothing flashy nothing too large), I suspect you already have a diving mask but if not then having one will save your eyes a lot of discomfort, possibly a pair of gloves to protect you hands from sharp objects. As you are trying to be discrete an underwater metal detector, a boat, lots of fancy gear will only call attention to the fact that you are spending a lot of time in this one spot and as you have already judged correctly this is something you do not want to alert people to. Any type of treasure has the ability to twist people into doing ugly stuff.

The above items will allow you to simply and quietly gather what you've found more easily as well as to do some simple digging or scraping with the scoop and let the scoop take the beating from the coral. Coral is sharp and digging will eventually contact the coral which will scrape your digging tool creating small roughened areas on the tool that will eventually cut and abrade you so be careful with the digging tool. What is this scoop? If you are in the U.S. there is a store chain called Bed Bath & Beyond a second store would be Wall Mart and both of these stores as well as possibly an office supply store will carry drawer dividers and catch trays to put stuff into. What you are looking for are the ones made out of perforated metal, also called expanded metal, and the sturdier the better. With one of the small ones you can easily carry it with you, hold it with one hand and when digging/gathering the sand will fall out of it leaving you with clean artifacts. Dump these directly into your "Finds" bag. This possible holding area that you've found needs to be inspected to understand just how long and how wide it is so you will know where to search/dig. A GPS unit would be the best way to discretely determine the boundaries of the area while on land. This will allow you to easily return to the spot as it will define the starting and stopping length of the area. The width and depth of the area are a different matter that will take lots of diving and time to locate.

Another thing to do is to determine why this phenominon exists and is there another one nearby, more searching and possiibly taking some underwater pictures. There are a few simple underwater cameras around that will hold out water down to like ten feet or so. Having pictures will allow you to look at the bottom while you are back out on dry land. Next, be safe! Do Not Over Tire Yourself out there as this could lead to your death. Pay attention to the tide, to waves, to the types of fish in the area as well as to the amounts such as, if all of a sudden a large school of fish show up then something has driven them into the area and usually that something is hunting the smaller fish. You might care to setup a beach "umbrella" or a small sun and wind shade like a three walled tent. Take some reading and writing materials with you, some food, some water for drinking and make it look like you just want to spend some time alone as well as do a lot of swimming. Then take a break from the diving regain your strength and keep your wits about you. Relax and recoop, stop and think, explore while in the water and explore your pictures to understand what you've found.

How come nobody has noticed it? Shifting sands come and go, time of day may have had the sun at just the right angle and at just the right time with just enough of the first article showing that caught your attention or maybe it was just meant to be for you. Whatever, you've noticed it now do this search and recovery right be discrete but not paranoid. Talking about what you've found is not a good idea especially to anyone that knows where you are vacationing at. This is another area to be safe about, be very cautious about how you share about this find, story, thing, Quest.

Are there any laws in the area about finding what seems to be more modern treasure. If so understand them as if it gets out that you've been recovering treasure then The Authorities Will Visit You as they all have their hands out for money especially with the financial status of the world today!

Welcome and the best of success with your Adventure as you are on an Adventure.............63bkpkr

Last edited:

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
It's a hotel beach so I need to be discrete. Also it's real near to shore, at low tide I can stand on the bottom with my head out of the water. It's weird, there are tons of people swimming around and just below them is
huh.gif
?? treasure, maybe. I can't figure it out. How come no one noticed it?
cool all those lost vacationers treasures,get a small mesh bag,like used in the wash machine,small scooper,fill 1/2 shake
put goods in a solid color cloth bag,repeat,everyday of your vacation

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

Denarius

May 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, that's all good advice. If you got more keep it coming.
How big should the mesh in the bag be? How big should the scoop be?

OP
OP
D

Denarius

May 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks 63bkpkr, that's a nice rundown. Much appreciated.
Anyone got some pictures of their sand scoops? I'm wondering what to look for.

Last edited:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I made a belly board with a large hole in the top for my face and mask, a fixed snorkel tube that passed through a 1" hole in the board next to my face. By design it was actually a snorkel board with a built in snorkel. In really clear water I'd spend all day cruising about the surface observing the bottom for items of interest, when I spotted one I'd simply slip over the side and fan the sand away with my hand. As one poster already suggested, a small mesh bag attached to the board (you can usually find them at the dollar stores) kept all my finds. It's a very effective, comfortable, relaxing, and discrete way to "snipe" targets from the bottom. I could spend all day on that thing without getting fatigued.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It would be nice for you to post some pics of your finds. Sounds like you stumbled onto one of those sites most folks dream about. But I suppose you don't have a camera or know how to post pics?

OP
OP
D

Denarius

May 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found the site on vacation. I have vacation pictures but nothing valuable to a treasure hunter. The whole thing was such a surprise to me that I didn't think of exploiting it. It was a like "wow look what I found, cool, I wonder if it's real gold, nah can't be" kind of thing. I only realized what I found when I got back home.
Is this really a dream find? If it is I can maybe convince my wife to go back. But I will need to be equipped and to know what I'm doing. I need advice.
Any links/video/books I should look at. I'm definitely getting hooked here. This is just too much fun.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Denarius, I believe you have found the SPOT! Suggestion. Take a ring or two to the hotel. Attempt to return them to thier owners. You will get a much better feeling than oogleing the finds over the years. By doing that, YOU will be the first to be notified when other rings are lost. The rewards will build both in the heart and in the hand! (welcome aboard!) TTC

OP
OP
D

Denarius

May 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Again, any videos, pictures, books, you folks can recommend.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neat find. Remember sands shift all the time. You could go back tomorrow and it could be a foot or two under sand. Capture the moment and as others have said look for why it occurs and where others might be. Good Hunting!

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Minelab Excalabur 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you still have the jewelry you found? I'd love to see them if you could take some pictures. What an awesome spot! Good job on noticing them!

OP
OP
D

Denarius

May 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold the larger gold ring. The other one is a simple wedding style band, and the chain bracelet is nothing special other than it's about $300 worth of gold. I'll try to post some pix but my computer is real old and doesn't do that kind of stuff real good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread