Any Wheelchair MD users out there?

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OP
OP
tokameel

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Yesterday, for the first time, I tried out my Ace 250 in my yard. What Fun! For 2 hours I was learning how it worked and sounded. My wheelchair didn’t interfere with it as long as I kept the coil away it. Yea, it is slower than walking,
but just as much fun.
It brought back many fond memories from 30 years ago with my low-tech White. I got a lot of signals that were too deep (3 inches in soil with lots of rock and roots) for the tools that I had on hand, but that will change.
I am now the proud owner of a 25ish year old pull-tab! That brought back many memories as well. But my next time out I will be prepared to dig out those good, deep tones!!
Thanks to you, TerryC, I am now back in the “Dirty Fingernail Club”
Tokameel

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yesterday, for the first time, I tried out my Ace 250 in my yard. What Fun! For 2 hours I was learning how it worked and sounded. My wheelchair didn’t interfere with it as long as I kept the coil away it. Yea, it is slower than walking,
but just as much fun.
It brought back many fond memories from 30 years ago with my low-tech White. I got a lot of signals that were too deep (3 inches in soil with lots of rock and roots) for the tools that I had on hand, but that will change.
I am now the proud owner of a 25ish year old pull-tab! That brought back many memories as well. But my next time out I will be prepared to dig out those good, deep tones!!
Thanks to you, TerryC, I am now back in the “Dirty Fingernail Club”
Tokameel
OUTstanding! I wonder... Did Marquette and Joliet have pulltabs then?? Ha ! Keep at it partner. Soon you can complain about all the pulltabs and poptops, like the rest of us! Take care, my friend and keep us informed! Terry

OP
OP
tokameel

tokameel

May 20, 2012
Mequon, Wi
Detector(s) used
In 1974- White.
Now a Garrett Ace 250.
8/30/12 using a Zircon m40 Stud Finder as a hand held pin pointer.
Primary Interest:
Other
Just an update – Since TerryC sent me the Garrett 250 in June my wheelchair & I go MDing about 1 or 2 times a week. The hot Midwest temps put the old kibosh on going out sometimes but I did song swinging & digging on a
95 F day. Heat is better than snow, for us anyway.
I found that the ‘roll backwards’ technique works best for me.
I went to a local park that has a few concerts, you know the kind that folks roll around on blankets and then coins find their freedom (& earrings, 1 cheepo found so far). I only dug targets of 3" beep max cuz the earth was very rocky and dry. The park people were nice enough to let me dig so I didn’t want to leave any potholes that could be a black mark on us.
No silver but 3 Quarters, 2 Nickels, 8 Dimes and only 5 Cents. In my previous life, in the 1970s, my White and I found a shipload of cents for any other coin recovered.

Thanks one more time TerryC!

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Way to go tokameel. Backwards yes,i understand that part. All ways a good feeling pulling nickels,wonder if i,m missing them when its been awhile.
You da man Terry C. H.H.

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, you are a treasure. All I can say is God Bless you! I would love to have a friend like you in my life. You have a huge heart, my friend. Hope you and Tokameel get out there swinging this summer. Can't wait to hear about your adventures.

HH,
Anita
(Marine Mom....remember me?)

AC1955

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
New Hampshire & Maine
Detector(s) used
V3i, Excalibur II, White's M6, Coinmaster, Teknetics EurotekPro, White's Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tokameel...HAPPY HUNTING! Detecting with a disability can be a challenge. I've had 9 back surgeries, a hip replacement and am facing knee replacement surgery in December. I walk (not too well some days) but cannot swing the detector or get down to dig. (I hunt with my husband). My job? I get to hold the goodies (trash, too)!! Best part, I get to spend the day outside, with the man I love, getting fresh air and exercise. So happy to hear you've come "back to the fold". :happysmiley:

Congratulations on your son's swimming achievements. Seems like he's a kid that believes that no challenge is too big or too small. Way to go! High five! Will keep him in my thoughts and prayers.

Enjoy the hobby (again), welcome to TNet (a great group of folks) and Happy Hunting (HH)!

Anita

Six2woody

Greenie
May 12, 2012
iowa
Detector(s) used
whites..... MXT PRO V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother just lost the use if his legs. I often feel guilty telling him stories of my hunts ,finds and adventures. I'm keeping a close eye on this thread... Would love to take him along and let him feel the adiction.

whammy

Oct 23, 2012
Conquest New York
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision, DFX, Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is just one word for the both of you, and you two know who you are, it is AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phanntom

Oct 21, 2012
Retired and traveling
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000di Pro SL
Whites Goldmaster II vSat
Whites Prizim 6T
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As an engineer I like to think through these challenges. There are so many different alternatives than there used to be I think it could be done. IF it were me I think I would approach it with the idea of sweeping out to the side of the chair. This minimizes problems with the foot rests. To minimize problems with weight and fatigue I'd focus on one of the plastic models. I've got bad rotator cuffs and just switched from a 6000di Pro SL which has a large metal box and is quite heavy to a Prizim 6T. It's plastic and feels like about a third of the weight of my other one. If it has a metal shaft, you can always switch to the lighter carbon fiber. To reduce wear and tear on my shoulder, even if it was good, I'd try to figure out a way to have the box in my lap so I was just dealing with the weight of the coil and shaft.

For recovery I think you could probably pinpoint on your own. When I pinpoint, I typically determine the location then place my coil right on the ground and stick my probe or digging tool right in the center of the loop and then lift the detector out of the way. In your case, you could get one of the small digging tools and have a local shop weld a longer handle on it that might allow you to dig without having to get out of the chair.

For hunting in local parks etc., I don't think the problems would difficult to overcome. You're obviously limited from getting into fields and the like but parks, athletic fields yards etc. would all be fair game for you.

It's at least a place to start. I think you would find you'd enjoy it as you worked the bugs out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions