40 Hours on the MinelAB ctx 30/30

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ok folks just keeping you updated on MY PERSONAL field testing on the CTX. The first week was a little slow. I intentionally took the CTX to some very well pounded out Etrac sites I have hit for years with great success using the CTX's little kin machine. I can honestly tell you the CTX does NOT get any more depth than the Etrac. It is genuinely the same. I have recently hit sites with the machine in Va, NC, and Ga. This weekend I got to use it in Tennessee. I met up with a couple friends Treasurehound, and Guy Lambert, and about 40 members of my Knoxville Tn. club hunt. They got to see the machine, and me using it if you need some references, and their opinions. I did have a great day yesterday in the Mineralized soil where Civil War troops camped finding some good lead, and a really nice carbine sling buckle. There is a big learning curve for the new users, but if you are an existing Etrac or explorer user, you will catch on in a week or two. As you all know, the ones that buy from us get a tutorial, which seems to be very helpful. There are some things I am not crazy about like the extra weight (but balanced well) and a few other things I will go into later. The machine is a good machine, but please don't expect any added depth than the Etrac. I do like the fact the unit is now waterproof...After the hunt yesterday I took the water hose, and simply sprayed the machine down with no guilty concience. I would like to see a tall man shaft for this unit introduced (like the etrac/explorer accessory) There are only 2 coils available for this machine at this time, and would like to see Coiltek manufacture some aftermarket 12x8's, and even the proven Joey 10x5. SOON! Currently you can only use the stock coil (similar to the DD Explorer pro coil) a 6 inch coil, and 17 inch coil . I don't see using a 17 inch coil any time soon.....Anywhere. All in all, the machine seems to handle some mineralized soil with good success. I will be heading to the highly minerlaized Culpeper Va. soil this week, and will give you the honest test feedback when I get back from that one.(there's where the proof in the pudding lies) I know many of you are waiting with baited breath to see what happens there! . All in all, it has some cool new sparkly features, (some I will use, and some I wont) and I am really enjoying it for the most part.. My arm was a bit sore after swinging for 7 hours or so because of extra weight, but it is nothing a decent aftermarket cuff, (In Design now) and good neoprene strap wont fix. If you have any more questions on this machine, please feel free to call me 7 days, to ask. I don't have much time with the new store, and babies to reply to this thread so feel free to call if you have any questions. I do have these units on a pre order basis if you insist on owning the latest and greatest. You can pre order from our website Woodland Metal Detector Sales, or call us up. As you all know, we try to learn our machines, before we sell them to better help the consumer. I will ALWAYS provide honest, and fair opinions to you the consumer.

Below is a couple finds I dug yesterday including the Civil War Carbine sling buckle in mineralised soil around
Note: The confederate round balls were dug last week with CS Sentinal in Willimasburg area using a Teknetics G2, and Tesoro Tejon

638257d1337639000t-40-hours-minelab-ctx-30-30-update-ctx-finds-videos-2011-08-10-002.jpg
638258d1337639112t-40-hours-minelab-ctx-30-30-update-ctx-finds-videos-2011-08-10-003.jpg
638259d1337639225t-40-hours-minelab-ctx-30-30-update-ctx-finds-videos-2011-08-10-006.jpg
638260d1337639335t-40-hours-minelab-ctx-30-30-update-ctx-finds-videos-2011-08-10-004.jpg

Have an awesome day!
Your friends,
Woodland Detector Sales
Black Mountain North Carolina
Toll Free 855-966-3563

Woodland Detectors - Open 7 days, Toll Free 855-966-3563 - Build your own Package deals.

Last edited:

aoyue2702

May 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Mike,

It was a pleasure speaking to you on the phone. I look forward to reading more of your CTX 3030 review while I wait for mine to arrive.

ynpto804

Jan 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Sun-ray X-5 coil and X-1 Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So will this machine handle the minerals of Culpepper? Or just light minerals?

Viddy

Aug 16, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, F2, Etrac, T2, V3i, AT Pro, CTX3030, Equinox 800, Vanquish 540, Go-Find 66, F5, Q60, Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
you said a few times "I can honestly tell you the CTX does NOT get any more depth than the Etrac."

I had a Minelab Xterra 705 that I beat to death and ran it 'as hot as it gets' and "I can honestly tell you the 705 does NOT get any more depth than the Etrac."

I repeat "I have got the same depth air testing and in a coin garden and with extra depth coins buried that are faint"

I'd even put the TDI numbers game up (###) with a new Etrac user to me with the 705... and I'd smoke them, and have done.

... the 705 is TIGHT... very tight with the TDI #s ....(check out the vid I made when I sold my 705)

BUT... with the fine-tuning of discrim, patterns, recovery speed, fer/con options, etc.... the ETrac is like an Xterra 705 on steroids!

SO.... besides depth.... what is the 3030 to the ETrac?......

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm considering a 3030 or E-trac too. Other than being waterproof (to a point) and the GPS, what it worth the extra $900+ dollars buying the 3030 over the E-trac? Are there any other machines in the same league such as the White's V3i?

RiverRat3

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2009
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX3030
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Good post. I'm looking forward to having a waterproof Minelab For streams and rivers.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
why were all the nice posts about you deleted?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread