Best state for old coins

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a question! Are you planning to cover the whole state?

If not, I'd suggest you worry more about researching good sites than about research good states. :-)

OP
OP
dustytrails123

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Id like to cover all of michigan first but i need the next state to clean out when its done...didnt you see the size of my coil

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I try not to look at another man's coil.

I seem to recall someone's T-net signature: "It's not the size of your coil, it's how you swing it!"

MarieColvin

Tenderfoot
Apr 25, 2012
US
Primary Interest:
Other
I try not to look at another man's coil.

I seem to recall someone's T-net signature: "It's not the size of your coil, it's how you swing it!"

Hello friends,

Old coins from the United States will always say "United States of America" on them, although sometimes this is abbreviated on very old U.S. coins. If your old coins do not say they are from the U.S., they will usually name some other country. In most cases, you should be able to make out what the country is, although it will usually be in the language of the country that issued the old coin. You can type the likely country name into a search engine such as Google to see what is available on the Web. There are thousands of coin-related web sites out there for just about every type of old coin imaginable!

Best regards
Marie Colvin

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not shoot for one of the original 13 colonies and take it from there, that's about as old as you will get :laughing9:

Talon

May 18, 2012
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What kind of area's are you searching for these old coins?

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not shoot for one of the original 13 colonies and take it from there, that's about as old as you will get :laughing9:

Spot on. Although if you're willing to travel, there are FAR older places to go than the Colonies. :-)

OP
OP
dustytrails123

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im up in wisconsin nothing special here most old log towns with small populations ....my home town had 150 people in 1909 and the 2002 census puts it at 68 people ...theres a small local park thats not even listen on the historic city map or google earth very strange that the little park hasnt been listed on the maps but then again im thankful because it was a small virgin park to detect i took 18 silver out of it so far .....but if you look at places like chicago with almost 1.7 mil people at 1900 i tend to think theres got to be more old coins in some of them parks

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2

Naturally the eastern states had the first European toe-holds, and growing populations much earlier than the west coast. Although there were a few missions already in CA by the late 1700's, yet the entire non-indian population of all of CA was numbered only in the 100's up till after 1800 or so. We can get Spanish reales here from the late 1700/early 1800s, but not much in the way of USA coins (busts, large cents, colonials, etc....) ever got here till closer to the mid 1800s.

So naturally, the answer to your question is, that the eastern-most states would have your oldest population centers.

But another factor to consider is, that even though the east coast sandboxes may be "brimming" with large cents, busts, and colonials, yet they have a hard time getting the better S mint coins. Out here in CA, most of our seateds, barbers, etc... will be S low-mint coins. That's our only consolation :)

What would be 1 of the better states for coin shooting old coins ...something that hasnt been all fished out and still holds lots of old coins like michigan

OP
OP
dustytrails123

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info tom thats pretty cool having better odds at S mints out west

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Seems like more gold coins come from out west as well.

This is also true, for some reason. I have heard of hard-core east coast hunters who get LOTS of seateds, busts, colonials, large cents, etc.... yet have never found a gold coin. But out here in CA, I know of many persons who've found gold coins. I've got 13 so far, and know of others who have several each....... Yet I've only got a single large cent, and only 6 or 7 bust coins, etc...

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is also true, for some reason. I have heard of hard-core east coast hunters who get LOTS of seateds, busts, colonials, large cents, etc.... yet have never found a gold coin. But out here in CA, I know of many persons who've found gold coins. I've got 13 so far, and know of others who have several each....... Yet I've only got a single large cent, and only 6 or 7 bust coins, etc...

I want my first gold coin. Everyone above is spot on. I do see a buch of nice old coins posted on T-Net coming out of MA and NJ but any of the original 13 are good places to hunt.

NJ

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ebay and coin store in any state can work if you go that route

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Naw....Pennsylvania is worked out...nothing here.

Seriously, there are some dedicated copper hunters in Pa. that do pretty good. Problem is...condition!!! You're pretty darn lucky if you can make out the vaguest details of em. Still haven't found one myself but then again....haven't been to some of those really old sites and around Pittsburgh, development has destroyed darn near every good, historic location. I do have a location or two that I'll hunt one day and I know are virgin....but it'll be a lot of work for a potential of little reward. But some day I'll find that elusive copper. My times comming.

Al

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Al,
I hunt in a urban city all the time and do pretty well in the little city parks. I've found 8 to 10 large coppers in them.

Good luck.
NJ

TENNESSEEGAL

Aug 20, 2005
Oak Ridge, TN
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT and Minelab Excalabur 11
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dustytrails123 said:
Id like to cover all of michigan first but i need the next state to clean out when its done...didnt you see the size of my coil

Thanks for the laugh guys! I was in sore need of some lightheartedness today.

crapdigger

May 25, 2012
I would say anywhere trade happened in the time all eugopean immigrantx wfnt to america. Look for old harbour sites, saloon maybd wagon trails in the west . I dunno i livd in europe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread