Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Apr 2012
    Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
    365 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Best state for old coins

What would be 1 of the better states for coin shooting old coins ...something that hasnt been all fished out and still holds lots of old coins like michigan

Apr 2012
    Desert
    Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
    242 times
    What a question! Are you planning to cover the whole state?

If not, I'd suggest you worry more about researching good sites than about research good states. :-)
    -- Ammo

"A man who has lived in many places is not likely to be deceived by the local errors of his native village; the scholar has lived in many times and is therefore in some degree immune from the great cataract of nonsense that pours from the press and the microphone of his own age."

~ C.S. Lewis, The Weight of Glory

“Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?
    Where is the knowledge we have lost in information?”

~ T.S. Eliot, The Rock

Apr 2012
    Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
    365 times
    Id like to cover all of michigan first but i need the next state to clean out when its done...didnt you see the size of my coil

Apr 2012
    Desert
    242 times
    I try not to look at another man's coil.

I seem to recall someone's T-net signature: "It's not the size of your coil, it's how you swing it!"
    -- Ammo

"A man who has lived in many places is not likely to be deceived by the local errors of his native village; the scholar has lived in many times and is therefore in some degree immune from the great cataract of nonsense that pours from the press and the microphone of his own age."

~ T.S. Eliot, The Rock

Faith Issues In The News

Apr 2012
    US
    Quote Originally Posted by Ammonhotep View Post
    I try not to look at another man's coil.

I seem to recall someone's T-net signature: "It's not the size of your coil, it's how you swing it!"
    Hello friends,

Old coins from the United States will always say "United States of America" on them, although sometimes this is abbreviated on very old U.S. coins. If your old coins do not say they are from the U.S., they will usually name some other country. In most cases, you should be able to make out what the country is, although it will usually be in the language of the country that issued the old coin. You can type the likely country name into a search engine such as Google to see what is available on the Web. There are thousands of coin-related web sites out there for just about every type of old coin imaginable!

Best regards
    Marie Colvin

us
    Jul 2009
    Whiting, NJ
    Ace 250
    991 times
    Why not shoot for one of the original 13 colonies and take it from there, that's about as old as you will get

Charter Member
    us
    May 2012
    NE Ohio
    Minelab E-Trac, Minelab Excal 800, Minelab Excal II, Tesoro Tigershark, Garrett ACE 250, Pro Pointer
    131 times
    Metal Detecting
    What kind of area's are you searching for these old coins?

Apr 2012
    Desert
    242 times
    Quote Originally Posted by spartacus53 View Post
    Why not shoot for one of the original 13 colonies and take it from there, that's about as old as you will get
    Spot on. Although if you're willing to travel, there are FAR older places to go than the Colonies. :-)
    -- Ammo

~ T.S. Eliot, The Rock

Apr 2012
    365 times
    Im up in wisconsin nothing special here most old log towns with small populations ....my home town had 150 people in 1909 and the 2002 census puts it at 68 people ...theres a small local park thats not even listen on the historic city map or google earth very strange that the little park hasnt been listed on the maps but then again im thankful because it was a small virgin park to detect i took 18 silver out of it so far .....but if you look at places like chicago with almost 1.7 mil people at 1900 i tend to think theres got to be more old coins in some of them parks

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    1797 times
    Banner Finds (3)

Naturally the eastern states had the first European toe-holds, and growing populations much earlier than the west coast. Although there were a few missions already in CA by the late 1700's, yet the entire non-indian population of all of CA was numbered only in the 100's up till after 1800 or so. We can get Spanish reales here from the late 1700/early 1800s, but not much in the way of USA coins (busts, large cents, colonials, etc....) ever got here till closer to the mid 1800s.

So naturally, the answer to your question is, that the eastern-most states would have your oldest population centers.

But another factor to consider is, that even though the east coast sandboxes may be "brimming" with large cents, busts, and colonials, yet they have a hard time getting the better S mint coins. Out here in CA, most of our seateds, barbers, etc... will be S low-mint coins. That's our only consolation

Quote Originally Posted by dustytrails123 View Post
    What would be 1 of the better states for coin shooting old coins ...something that hasnt been all fished out and still holds lots of old coins like michigan
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

Apr 2012
    365 times
    Thanks for the info tom thats pretty cool having better odds at S mints out west

us
    Aug 2011
    Maine
    Garrett GTAx 500, Teknetics G2, Garrett Pro Pointer
    59 times
    Quote Originally Posted by dustytrails123 View Post
    Thanks for the info tom thats pretty cool having better odds at S mints out west
    Seems like more gold coins come from out west as well.

Mar 2007
    Salinas, CA
    Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
    1797 times
    Banner Finds (3)
    Quote Originally Posted by smcdmc View Post
    Seems like more gold coins come from out west as well.
    This is also true, for some reason. I have heard of hard-core east coast hunters who get LOTS of seateds, busts, colonials, large cents, etc.... yet have never found a gold coin. But out here in CA, I know of many persons who've found gold coins. I've got 13 so far, and know of others who have several each....... Yet I've only got a single large cent, and only 6 or 7 bust coins, etc...
    Metal detecting is my one worldy vice!

us
    NJ

Nov 2006
    Middlesex County, New Jersey
    Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
    103 times
    Metal Detecting
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom_in_CA View Post
    This is also true, for some reason. I have heard of hard-core east coast hunters who get LOTS of seateds, busts, colonials, large cents, etc.... yet have never found a gold coin. But out here in CA, I know of many persons who've found gold coins. I've got 13 so far, and know of others who have several each....... Yet I've only got a single large cent, and only 6 or 7 bust coins, etc...
    I want my first gold coin. Everyone above is spot on. I do see a buch of nice old coins posted on T-Net coming out of MA and NJ but any of the original 13 are good places to hunt.

NJ

us
    Feb 2009
    Miss/ Ala
    Tesoro Silver Sabre, Fisher 1266X, Tesoro Toltec
    36 times
    Any state that has a lot of old cellar holes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsors