I personally tried the At Pro today....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If Coinsriking didnt like it then he didnt like it, whats the problem? Even if everyone in the universe liked something it doesnt mean I have to. I like the AT but Im not going to tell someone they should like it just because I do.

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im confused coinstriking told of his experience with the machine and even said he knows he needs to spend more time with it but he gave his first impressions of it so whats the big deal thats his impression his thoughts his experience if you have an at pro and dont share those same thoughts then your entitled to your own opinion but dont straight up call people liars because one person uses this or one person uses that....... they make different detectors for a reason :boxing:

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Warning, posting verbal attacks and insults against other members is against TN rules, you can disagree with out any verbal attacks and insults, those who insist on continuing to break these rules will get vacations.....

Graddick

Sep 17, 2011
Ottawa
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always had the impression that learning a new machine is just learning how to compensate for that machine's particular faults. I'm starting to get the hang of the AT Pro and I now know what data to ignore and what to listen for. For instance, the depth meter is pretty useless when the pin pointer is not on. However, when there is lots and lots and trash (like at the site I was at the other day) the pinpointer isn't much help.

Every time I've tried a new detector for the first time I'm left with the impression that it's junk. That's what I felt when I first tried the AT Pro.

OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
I just wanted to make it known that I'm not Kayden's wife and he isn't going to talk to me any way he wants to. Like I said before, I think I've been nice to folks here but I won't allow someone to start talking crap to me. Funny thing is, I've been using the At Pro more the past few days and I like it better than I did. Haven't found any old coins with it but have been pulling up .22 shell casings at 8 inches with it so it does have some potential. Still think the arm cup should have been better constructed or at least a strap included with it.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
can't speak for the pro but the 150 has a delay and can get annoying but i learn to work with that and do a fairly good job of guestamate pin pointing with it i mark the spot i think target is at with screw driver an cut my plug and 75% of the time i am right on but only if it is less than 6 in down 50% acurate at 8 in etc... but the 150 does not have pp mode, happy hunting
Would anyone else care to chime in here about the Garrett delayed response?

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The ace 150 has a pretty bad delay I know from experience the 250 is a ton better so the at pro might have one too I guess I will find out soon when I buy one

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
I know that my 250 had a delay and even my GTI1500 had a delay.... But i have not noticed a big delay in my ATPro .... At times it will give me a little delay .... But my 250 & 1500 were bad at times..

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Atpro is a fast recovery machine no question about it. But you gotta watch the sense settings. Standard mode sucks. Don't even try it. It's horrible.

Giant056

Silver Member
Jun 10, 2007
Southwest Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Made in U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the price of the detector and the results that I've seen on forums I'd have to say there's something about the AT Pro that many people really like cause it sure took off like gangbusters after it was introduced. I have a couple of friends that have them and they both like them, the one guy had to send his in soon after he bought it cause it leaked in on the circuitboard and ruined the original and Garrett replaced it free of charge and shipping. I have only had one Garrett and it was bartered for and soon after I sold it cause I couldn't get more than 4 inches of depth with it but that was a 1995 model and my Whites Eagle at the time would outdo it at the time. Personally I will never own anything other than U.S. made detectors cause I'm a firm believer in buying American but I do own a Yamaha but even the Harley's aren't completely made in the U.S. now from what I've heard

OP
OP
Coinstriking Michigan

Coinstriking Michigan

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2011
Gladstone, MI
Detector(s) used
Whites 5900 Di Pro Sl and Whites Eagle Spectrum Fisher Coinstrike Fisher F70 Whites M6 Garrett 1500 Tesoro Cibola
Whites XLT Minelab Quattro Minelab Xterra 50 Fisher Id Edge
Tekentics Omega 8000 Whi
Primary Interest:
Other
We've been using the At Pro quite a bit lately and I must say I think it has great depth capabilities. One thing that is obvious though is it's the worst detector I have ever seen for rusty bottle caps. I thought you were suppose to be able to hit "Iron Audio" and it would produce a scratchy, choppy sound to warn that it's a rusty cap. I don't know why they can't ward against those things like all the Whites machines I've used easily can. On every Whites machine I've tried a rusty bottle cap always sounds really broken and choppy...Why can't Garrett use that same technology? With the At Pro..a rusty cap will sound good in any mode, from all angles from what we've experienced so far.

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal bottle caps hit like a coin with the 150, but i think it has to do with the shape of the cap and some have foil in the seal part may thats why, hope you get figured out happy hunttinn

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only way i can tell a bottle cap is rescanning the target afew times pulling the coil back twards me will give the iron tone on a bottle cap...but i agree garretts like bottle caps way too much

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only own the Garrett probe and it likes it all. I can usually tell the difference of what is under the coil with my detectors but that doesn't stop me from digging it anyway. The probe helps so much with recovery that I can recover a find faster than I could make up my mind. I am still waiting to dig up that really good find that sounds like a bottle cap though!

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We've been using the At Pro quite a bit lately and I must say I think it has great depth capabilities. One thing that is obvious though is it's the worst detector I have ever seen for rusty bottle caps. I thought you were suppose to be able to hit "Iron Audio" and it would produce a scratchy, choppy sound to warn that it's a rusty cap. I don't know why they can't ward against those things like all the Whites machines I've used easily can. On every Whites machine I've tried a rusty bottle cap always sounds really broken and choppy...Why can't Garrett use that same technology? With the At Pro..a rusty cap will sound good in any mode, from all angles from what we've experienced so far.

I really love my AT Pro, but I admit that it took me a looong time to get a grip on the bottle cap situation. The more rusty the cap, the sweeter it sounded. I have learned to decipher the tiny differences, and now I can usually tell what is a good target, and what is a rusty bottle cap. It took much practice, but now I trust my ears.

NevadaDave

Jun 19, 2012
Henderson, NV
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS III, IV, V, AT-4, Scorpion, ACE 250 and AT-Pro. Tesoro Bandito II U-max, Lobo ST, and Cortes. Fisher 1266, F2, F75, and Gold Bug Pro. Whites Coinmaster, GMT, MXT and Prizm 4. (and a f
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Michigan,
I am currently using my 2nd AT Pro. I bought one when they first came out, used it for about a week and sold it. I, too, was not impressed by the cacaphony of noises it made and I soon convinced myself that it wasn't for me. About a year or so later, after reading all of the find folks were making with it, I decided to buy another. Complete 180 this time. It's now my go-to detector and I've made numerous finds. Its tone and number ID are very accurate and it's a joy to swing, especially with the 5"x8" coil. Like a lot of detectors, one needs to invest some time in learning what it is saying.
HH,
Dave

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Crowns will fool you with the pro at first. But not for long. The pro is rarely fooled by rusty nails, I have only dug a handful, but that was over a year ago, I never dig nails nowadays. Crown caps are a bit tricky, not like nails which sound really bad. Dig about a hundred crown caps, and you will not soon be digging another, unless you want to, or unless you just are not understanding the excellent audio this machine has on iron crap. It takes time and willingness to put the time in and learn. The atpro does everything they say it will do.

Last edited:

Bev

Mar 2, 2012
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The AT Pro is not a machine to turn on and just go, it takes some time to learn what the machine is capable of. I started with an Ace 150 then 250 then the AT Pro and the Pro was slow to really get what it was telling me. I'm sure I'd be lost using a Minelab or similar but allowing myself to learn it would make a world of difference. The AT Pro is worth the money and worth the small amount of time to get used to it. IMHO of course as an "intermediate level" hunter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread