Anyone Sell Shipwreck Wood?

P

patrj512

I am brand new here and the main reason why I am on here is for a family gift. My brother is big into wood working and I need to find him a gift for Christmas. Long story short, I need to find someone that sells wood from a ship wreck. It needs to be pretty decent size planks (between 3 and 5 feet long) and I need around 10 of them. The wood cant be rooted out because he will be using it to make a table or something like that. Does anyone know a place or a person that sells this sort of thing?

Also it would help of I knew where the wood was from and it would be really good if I knew the ships name or boats name its come from. Thanks a lot

-Patrick

Michigan Badger

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2005
Northern, Michigan
Detector(s) used
willow stick
Primary Interest:
Other
Shipwreck wood is hard to come by. I collect wood or anything I can get from Great Lakes shipwrecks. My office coat rack is made from wood and spikes from a famous shipwreck.

Great Lakes wood is pretty easy to work with but salt water wood is another story.

If you can use Great Lakes wood you stand a remote chance of locating a diver who may sell you some. All this wood was brought up in the 50's and 60's before the current laws. Today if the authorities catch anyone removing Great Lakes shipwreck stuff they'll try to take away that person's birthday. They may not get it but they'll get just about everything else.

Watch ebay and do the google search thing. I'd also log on to diver sites and ask questions...you might just find a source.

It took me years to find the little wood I own. The diver who brought it up made the coat rack and he also made other items from his wood which are now property of a very famous American family whom I can't name here. I feel very privileged to have it.

I hope you find the wood and if you ever do and you don't want it all, contact me ;)

Badger

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The '' HESPER'' and ''LUTHER LITTLE'' were a local landmark in Wiscasset , Maine . A few years ago the town had them cut up and hauled to the local landfill . For 2 days they let the townspeople haul off any thing they wanted . One local guy makes pen & pencil sets out of the wood he got . I've seen them selling in local shops for about $30.00 .

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...&hl=en&lr=&rls=GGLD,GGLD:2003-36,GGLD:en&sa=N

mojjax

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread