Name one feature you wish your metal detector had....

SmokinJoe

May 31, 2012
Jamesville,NY
Detector(s) used
Garret ACE 250, Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just about every detector available has the ability to discriminate different types of metal. What i really wish my uniut was capable of is discriminating out depth. In other words, i wish i could program my detector to only detect metals at the depths i specify. For example: wouldn't it be great if you could choose to "ignore" all signals in the top two inches of soil?

khpony

May 29, 2006
Rociada, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, AM Recon Sluice, Technetics Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I wish mine would discriminate between gold and aluminum. It would make bending over and digging more fun!

K Zack

Feb 2, 2012
West Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab- Explorer XS, Excalibur 800, Sovereign XS-2 Pro, Fisher 1280X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Radar
Happy Hunting
Kevin

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just about every detector available has the ability to discriminate different types of metal. What i really wish my uniut was capable of is discriminating out depth. In other words, i wish i could program my detector to only detect metals at the depths i specify. For example: wouldn't it be great if you could choose to "ignore" all signals in the top two inches of soil?
Depth is dependent on the expected size of your target. Large Deep objects appear on the surface. This may or may not be a benefit, ( last months banner coin purse with some 70 pieces of silver could have been passed over using this function) but as with most detector functions there is a tradeoff. The recovery time for shallow objects should be rapid enough to prevent excessive masking of the lower objects.

Personally, I tried the bells and whistles and don't like them. A pro pointer to aid in quick recovery and a good Tesoro detector digging all good hits is my preference. The two inch target is recovered with a screwdriver in 30 seconds. I used to spend that much time over a target trying to decide.

427mike

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All i want on my minelab explorer xs is a cig liter!!!!HA HA

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark 8" coil, vaquero 8"x9" and 5.75" WS, clean sweep coil, Gray ghost deep woods headphones

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing, once you have cleared away the clad and some trash, going back over with a layer removed should produce deep targets that were masked by shallow. Not to mention that some pulltabs are really gold rings I am told!

You should really give up smoking, not likely to find that much clad.

When you are quickly out of breath just swinging the detector, you are bound to have a heart attack if you find a banner coin like Smoken Joe's!

K

Kentucky Kache

I don't ask for much, just a detector that can sniff out a cache 3 miles away, at a depth of 20 feet. And of course a gps pinpointer. :tongue3:

Diggit

Mar 25, 2012
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's MXT, DFX, GMT and Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think a realistic indicator of operating time left on the machine's battery would be nice.

1320Fastback

Apr 21, 2012
Oceanside, Ca
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish my MD could actually did the hole too.
I mean its like they did all this work designing these things but stopped just shy of making it perfect.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Ignoring the top layer of coins won't help us out all here in the S.F Bay Area, especially hunting in the San Francisco parks. Our gopher infestation has brought up hundreds if not thousands of silver coins. I've had numerous seated, barber, and merc coins that were only 1 or 2 inches deep.

As far as a dream machine would go, I'd like a screen similar to a ultrasound image they use in hospitals to see the unborn person. Imagine seeing the actual image in sharp detail on a screen before you decide to dig!

QuarterMaster

Apr 25, 2012
North Central Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Ace350
Pioneer Bounty Hunter 202
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a headlight would be nice, that would be a fairly easy mod as well....hurmm I think I'll work on that! (may have to add a bug zapper then too :D

Hot zone

Bronze Member
Apr 26, 2012
Clark County Washington
Detector(s) used

Whites TRX pointer
, Garrett gold stinger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a headlight would be nice, that would be a fairly easy mod as well....hurmm I think I'll work on that! (may have to add a bug zapper then too :D
You had better add wheels-- the car battery it will need!

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd think a GPS display to help keep a grid going smoothly would be nice, I've noticed it can be hard sometimes (at least for me) to navigate a straight line when I'm looking at nothing but the ground......

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe, they have had what you want for years, its called surface masking. Select the amount of inches you wish to ignore and off you go. Compass and Tesoro were well into it at one time.

As with tracking, discrimination, depth reading and target I.D. it was not as good as it sounds. To much of a price to pay. In the case of surface masking you can ignore the rubbish in the top few inches but each unwanted target that your not hearing still has the effect of blanking out good/wanted targets that are below and near the discriminated out item.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread